Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Just had worst long haul flight ever on JAL in J (773 NRT-LAX).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver

I just flew NRT-LAX in J on JAL's 773 Sky Suite in J. Here is why I hated it:

1. Pillow was hard as a rock and actually hurt my head.
1. Western appetizer involved a sea urchin in jelly. Not quite western.
3. Cabin was at almost 80 degrees F (25C) and the FA could not make it cooler even though several people complained about the heat.
4. No personal air vents to combat the heat.
5. No amenity kits in J.
6. No pajamas in J.
7. No western TV shows on IFE and very few western films (most of which were animated).
8. J boards with economy jetway, not with F.

The seat and lounge were nice, but I thought the overall product was substandard and more like premium economy in all but the seat. All else would have been forgiven if not for the heat and lack of a personal air vent. Why is that? I flew AA F to Asia and JAL J back. Overall, I think AA's new J is a better product by far, albeit less private. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Psychocadet
I just flew NRT-LAX in J on JAL's 773 Sky Suite in J. Here is why I hated it:

1. Pillow was hard as a rock and actually hurt my head.
3. Cabin was at almost 80 degrees F (25C) and the FA could not make it cooler even though several people complained about the heat.
4. No personal air vents to combat the heat.
5. No amenity kits in J.
6. No pajamas in J.
7. No western TV shows on IFE and very few western films (most of which were animated).
8. J boards with economy jetway, not with F.

The seat and lounge were nice, but I thought the overall product was substandard and more like premium economy in all but the seat. All else would have been forgiven if not for the heat and lack of a personal air vent. Why is that? I flew AA F to Asia and JAL J back. Overall, I think AA's new J is a better product by far, albeit less private. Any thoughts?

1. Mention 3 airlines that actually has PJs in J. I can think of Qantas, but it is not very common.
2. Why should business board through the first jetway? It gives such a terrible and unnecessary traffic in the first cabin.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:00 am

Some might be due to "culture" difference. Asians and Americans have different preference. Asians love warmth and hard pillows. And hard bed. Opposite for Americans.

My flight was fine in terms of temperature - NRT-LAX last week. My Asiana flight 2 weeks ago to Korea was really hot, and the personal vent gave me the same super-hot air with just more air speed. So personal vent isn't a solution as long as cabin attendant doesn't lower the temperature.

I also found there's no single US TV program either in JAL or Asiana. Hollywood movie selections were fine but I wanted more 23-minute sitcoms that DL and UA offer tons of, not headaching- 2-3 hour- movies. I got no luck. Oh, actually they had Friends, Sex in the city episodes, but not current or recent ones.

I got Y seat on my JAL flight and pitch and width were great. But recline was bad (to be polite to the passenger behind?) and seat was very firm in the waist area. Regardless of bad service, tighter seats, and whatever s*** people say, my UA or AA flights to Asia worked better to me. Although award seat availability and price matter more to me
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1. Mention 3 airlines that actually has PJs in J. I can think of Qantas, but it is not very common.
2. Why should business board through the first jetway? It gives such a terrible and unnecessary traffic in the first cabin.
The reason the PJs were an issue is that if they are going to keep the cabin so hot and not have personal air vents then the least they can do is offer some comfortable clothes for people to sleep in. It is not an east/west thing, it is a caring about your customer thing. I don't care how hot the cabin is, but give people who like it cooler some options. I was awake for the whole ten hours and suffer from major jet lag because of the temperature. The whole reason I bought J is that I needed to be able to sleep.

As for the jeway, that really only pissed me off in relation to everything else where I got the distinct feeling that JAL treated J class as a step up from premium economy rather than as a step down from F.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Regardless of bad service, tighter seats, and whatever s*** people say, my UA or AA flights to Asia worked better to me. Although award seat availability and price matter more to me
You know, I think managed expectations have a lot to do with this. I paid slightly more for JAL in J than J on AA because people raved about the seats and service, but in truth, I think AA works a lot better for me. I sleep like a baby in AA's new A321T in F and in J (and the J seats don't have direct isle access, they are just so comfortable.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

As for the jeway, that really only pissed me off in relation to everything else where I got the distinct feeling that JAL treated J class as a step up from premium economy rather than as a step down from F.
And where does that leave AA? They board (at least in my experiences in NRT and DFW) everyone through door 2. So F together with Y.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm flying (with my two teens) in F JAL-LAX and AA in F on the way back NRT-DFW

I'm curious about the entertainment (IFE)
can you (OP or someone who recently was on this flight) what English shows/movies are on this flight?

I get the picture that there isn't much to choose from in English especially for teens.

The good thing will be finding this up front will allow for us to load up on movies and shows prior to leaving on the outbound portion of this trip
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I'm curious about the entertainment (IFE)
can you (OP or someone who recently was on this flight) what English shows/movies are on this flight?

I get the picture that there isn't much to choose from in English especially for teens.

The good thing will be finding this up front will allow for us to load up on movies and shows prior to leaving on the outbound portion of this trip
Probably a good idea. JAL (more so, IME, than other Asian carriers) caters to the preferences of its home country quite a bit.

Of course, if JAL shows certain types of Japanese animated programming, your teen boys might be very much entertained . . .
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

In jl f they would fix the aircon if you conplain
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:19 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Some might be due to "culture" difference. Asians and Americans have different preference. Asians love warmth and hard pillows. And hard bed. Opposite for Americans.
In Japan and Korea, as far as the air that's true. Go to Hong Kong or Singapore, that's certainly not the case. I've been on MH and CX and they set it quite cool. I know for CX and SQ, they are told to keep it cooler so passengers can sleep, thus less use of the call button.

JL has a good hard product and great catering (the best), but as others have said the cabin is too hot for my preference.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
In simple terms <redacted>

I'd agree on the cabin temp and I do miss the amenity kit, but aside from that I think the new JAL J class is just about the best in the sky as a combination of hard and soft product. Sorry you didn't like it.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reason: redacted ad hominem
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ceasy
In simple terms, <redacted>.

I'd agree on the cabin temp and I do miss the amenity kit, but aside from that I think the new JAL J class is just about the best in the sky as a combination of hard and soft product. Sorry you didn't like it.
What good is a great seat if all you can do is squirm in it because you are uncomfortably hot. Why not have air vents?

So what is there to like? The food? I've had a better meal on domestic F on AA.
And don't get me started on the meal from ICN to NRT where the only meal was bland rice porridge and no other option.

Look, I think it is clear JAL caters to Japanese tastes and does not at all try to cater to its western customers. If that business model works for them, then so be it. But you can be sure my money won't be going to them again.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Try this:
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/jen/

I will tell you, the screen was huge was seat was great. I'd bring my own pillow if you sleep on the side. I'd also bring a little electric fan to help you sleep.

I'll be honest, if they have personal vents I'd have liked this flight a lot more.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reason: close quote
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:59 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Just to be clear this is the Amuse-Bouche which is the same for both Japanese and Western menus, not the Western Hors-d'œuvre

http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...406_201408.pdf
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
In Japan and Korea, as far as the air that's true. Go to Hong Kong or Singapore, that's certainly not the case. I've been on MH and CX and they set it quite cool. I know for CX and SQ, they are told to keep it cooler so passengers can sleep, thus less use of the call button.
Got it. I thought most non-Americans like warmer air than Americans. In my office, it was usually Korean/Chinese who complaints air temperature, and now there's a French guy who do the same. Certainly it won't be the ones from HK or Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.