Question about domestic JAL booking

Old May 26, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Question about domestic JAL booking

Apologies if this is a very basic question.....

Where will I find out my booking reference and ticket numbers for a domestic JAL flight?

I've just booked a domestic flight HND - HIJ in economy on the Japan Airlines website, and (I think!) have paid for it ie have put in my credit card number and "purchased" it. I have been presented with a page saying "purchase complete" and it gives me a 4 digit reservation number; but I can't find anything else?

Should I just save this reservation number and leave it at that, or should I expect to receive an 6 digit reference (as I usually would with British Airways and other airlines) and/or ticket numbers?

Thanks - just a bit confused about the whole booking process, and wary that I've not been given the usual 6 digit reference
Old May 27, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by so3003
Apologies if this is a very basic question.....

Where will I find out my booking reference and ticket numbers for a domestic JAL flight?

I've just booked a domestic flight HND - HIJ in economy on the Japan Airlines website, and (I think!) have paid for it ie have put in my credit card number and "purchased" it. I have been presented with a page saying "purchase complete" and it gives me a 4 digit reservation number; but I can't find anything else?

Should I just save this reservation number and leave it at that, or should I expect to receive an 6 digit reference (as I usually would with British Airways and other airlines) and/or ticket numbers?

Thanks - just a bit confused about the whole booking process, and wary that I've not been given the usual 6 digit reference
The booking references for domestic flights in Japan are different, and you will just receive the 4 digit booking reference. They are usually different for the legs even if they were booked as a return journey. You do not need anything else or more at the airport. I don't seem to remember getting a ticket number, but it may be on the boarding pass. I don't have one handy right now to check.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks
Old May 27, 2014, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Half correct... Dom sectors of a intl trip still have a 6 digit code n u retrieve flight at the intl trip part of mmb!

The 4 digit pnr is only fore pure dom rez
Old May 27, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

This is a domestic only itinerary (ie separate from my international ticket) so am I correct in thinking it will only have the 4 digit reservation number?
Old May 27, 2014, 5:37 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

This is a domestic only itinerary (ie separate from my international ticket) so am I correct in thinking it will only have the 4 digit reservation number?
Indeed
Old May 27, 2014, 5:38 am
Suspended

Sorry - ure not talking about yokoso or welcome to japan fare right? Tgose still hv 6 digits
Old May 27, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

No - it's a TOKUBIN1 fare
Old May 29, 2014, 3:09 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
No - it's a TOKUBIN1 fare
Yes, you will only have the four-digit code. Reservations with only domestic segments use a different system than those which include international segments.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry guys to add to this, but I'm in the same situation than the OP and find the wording in the JAL confirmation email I got somewhat mysterious and am wondering if I need to do anything else.

I booked a flight from KIX to CTS in Class J for 2 pax on a Super SAKITOKU Advanced Purchase Fare and got the 4-digit reservation number. I also paid for the ticket already completing the purchase and according to my banks SMS my credit card has been authorized / charged.

The email I got had a passage stating the following:

Important notice about ticket purchase
Please purchase your ticket by August 25.
Purchasing Tickets/Payment
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/pay/
If you already have a ticket, please contact us by the above date to register your ticket number. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your reservation.

If you have already purchased or registered your ticket, we thank you for your cooperation and please disregard this notice.

What is the part about registering the ticket numbere about? AnythingI have to do in that regard?

Thanks for any pointers

Last edited by demue; Jul 21, 2014 at 2:35 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 am
Original Poster

This worked out ok for me in the end - I think it's possible to "reserve" a ticket on JAL without paying initially, and the email notification includes the slightly ambiguous text to mean that if you don't pay by the specified date you'll lose the reservation.

In my case - as seems to be the same with yours - by paying as I booked online there was no need to make any further contact with JAL or adjust anything on the website etc, and my booking was all in order when we arrived at the airport. Annoyingly the four digit reservation code (rather than the six digit international codes) isn't checkable on any other system like checkmytrip etc, but it is the correct format when you show up at the airport.

Hope this is reassuring!

Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for that. I went on to view my booking and in there it has a link (a button) to print the eticket/itinerary. It took me to another authorization page where I had to enter the last 4 digits of the credit card used for purchase and then from there it showed me both pax booked on the itinerary and I could pull up a version of the eticket that I just printed/saved as PDF. Seems okay.

BTW, class J seating for 2 pax at 28.2K JPY all in for KIX-CTS is great value with the extra of 4.3K JPY per pax for class J a very reasonable proposition.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
6 digit code now, booking through .jp site

Hi there,

Understanding these posts are old, I wanted to see if my receipt of a 6 digit alpha numeric reservation number makes sense.

Also, I attempted to purchase flights through JAL's US site for HND>MMY to no avail. When I called US reservations, they made it seem like I had to book even domestic Japan flights through the US site or face a process of sending JAL my international flight information (i.e. my AA reservation to/from the US). In the end, I booked through http://www.jal.co.jp/en/. Does anyone know if this will cause issues? Do I need to contact JAL with additional information?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
JAL is switching over to a new reservation system so the format for domestic bookings is changing to a more standard six character one. I'm blanking on the timeline but it sounds like what you've got. The only reason I think you'd need to possibly
provide international flight information is if you book a Yokoso or Japan Explorer fare, regular domestic bookings shouldn't require it.

ETA: I've booked domestic flights through JAL's Japanese site and had no issues as a visitor. I'm not sure about the new system, but the old one would allow you to make a booking without payment and then it will cancel if you don't enter payment details within the timeframe (I think it was 48 hours or something like that for my particular fare). That's about the only thing I can think of to look out for.

Last edited by rustykettel; Aug 28, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.