Able to pre-select 1A or 1K on 777-300ER?

Old Mar 21, 14, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

1A and 1K are blocked on the website, and JAL US call center agent said they are held for airport control. My flight is 11 months from now. Award ticket booked with AA miles. Is this true, or should I keep trying?
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:50 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

If JL does the same thing as NH, then they're likely held for VIPs (edit: or as fumitani says below, for full-fare F passengers); however, if none show up you can select them at check-in. If 2A or 2K are available, they are just as good.

Last edited by armagebedar; Mar 22, 14 at 3:23 am
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:52 pm

Programs: QFF
A few years ago on a NRT-SIN 777 flight, I had 1A. After getting settled, cabin crew informed me that 1C was occupied by an auditor from JCAB would would be in the cockpit jump seat for takeoff and landing.
Old Mar 22, 14, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1A and 1K are reserved for Full fare F customers. For award, upgrades, and discount F you need to wait until the airport to get the seats.
Old Mar 22, 14, 10:21 pm

What makes 1A or 1k so special compared to the other first class seats?
Old Apr 1, 14, 11:46 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, AA PLT, BonvoyGld, LH, AI, UA, DL
not just 1a and 1k, I saw this with all window seats for an upcoming flight - quite a pain really
Old Apr 4, 14, 9:03 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by jbminger View Post
What makes 1A or 1k so special compared to the other first class seats?
Absolutely nothing. Then again that's just my opinion. There are always going to be a minority that have a strong preference for certain seats, not sure why it would be 1A and 1K though.
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:30 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Goosh View Post
Absolutely nothing. Then again that's just my opinion. There are always going to be a minority that have a strong preference for certain seats, not sure why it would be 1A and 1K though.
Well they get served first.
Old Apr 14, 14, 3:28 am

My personal preference is always row 2, but it seems that my flight NRT-FRA in May already has 2A/K assigned.

As per this thread, 1A/K are shown as open on EF but presumably only because EF retrieves the seatmap with full F booking code. On the online assignment system, they are blacked out.

At least I take comfort that 1A/K remain unoccupied at the moment which gives me some chance at grabbing them, whereas the LHR/CDG flights on the same day both seem to have 1A/K assigned already. Which means VIPs or those paying full F - quite crazy in case of the latter, looking at the prices.

Question: Do 1A/K open up during online check-in, or only at the airport? If only at the airport, can an upline connection airport (ICN, in my case) also access them, or do I need to do this at NRT?
Old Apr 14, 14, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by stargold
My personal preference is always row 2, but it seems that my flight NRT-FRA in May already has 2A/K assigned.

As per this thread, 1A/K are shown as open on EF but presumably only because EF retrieves the seatmap with full F booking code. On the online assignment system, they are blacked out.

At least I take comfort that 1A/K remain unoccupied at the moment which gives me some chance at grabbing them, whereas the LHR/CDG flights on the same day both seem to have 1A/K assigned already. Which means VIPs or those paying full F - quite crazy in case of the latter, looking at the prices.

Question: Do 1A/K open up during online check-in, or only at the airport? If only at the airport, can an upline connection airport (ICN, in my case) also access them, or do I need to do this at NRT?
They are open at airport (presumably on that day of flight so syd-nrt-fra might not help)

If you do icn-nrt on the same day then ure ok. (I did itm-nrt-fra and could get 1k for both flights. (I took 1k for nrtfra, and 2a for itmnrt cuz i love see itm from the steep accent.
Old Apr 15, 14, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

They are open at airport (presumably on that day of flight so syd-nrt-fra might not help)

If you do icn-nrt on the same day then ure ok. (I did itm-nrt-fra and could get 1k for both flights. (I took 1k for nrtfra, and 2a for itmnrt cuz i love see itm from the steep accent.
Thanks for confirming - hopefully I will get my window seat, before or on the day of the departure. I can't imagine going F and not getting a window, to be honest!
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Thanks for confirming - hopefully I will get my window seat, before or on the day of the departure. I can't imagine going F and not getting a window, to be honest!
Why not? Unless it's a 1-1 configuration, someone has to sit in the middle seat.
Old Apr 15, 14, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Why not? Unless it's a 1-1 configuration, someone has to sit in the middle seat.
Oh, I'm sure someone does. However, I just don't want it to be me!

It's no different from the Y middle seat (although it's been a while... )
Old Apr 15, 14, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Oh, I'm sure someone does. However, I just don't want it to be me!

It's no different from the Y middle seat (although it's been a while... )
Next time I will trade a Y window seat with your F middle seat. It's a fair trade LOL You can always think of the middle seat as an aisle seat instead if you are "unlucky" enough to be "stuck" in a middle F seat
Old Apr 16, 14, 1:41 am

I should clarify - by "no different" I of course meant that it's an undesirable seat of the cabin that people often don't want unless travelling in pairs, and not to mean that an F middle seat is the equivalent in comfort to the Y middle.

Now have 2A on FRA-NRT... still waiting on NRT-FRA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: