FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL Hangar Tour/Sky Museum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1540840-jal-hangar-tour-sky-museum.html)

kevincrumbs Jan 12, 14 5:15 pm

JAL Hangar Tour/Sky Museum?
 
I'm trying to sign up for the JAL Hangar Tour and while I've been lucky enough to find availability that coincides with a brief four day visit to Tokyo, I'm having some trouble completing the application, especially as a non-Japanese speaker. Has anyone who is not a Japanese speaker and is not residing in Japan been able to apply online or do I need to involve a Japanese speaker? I keep running into trouble with typing my name in Katakana (ran it through a converter and pasted it in) and also with the line which seems to be asking me for a JL flight number (JAL便の利用). I'm under the impression that visiting is not conditional on holding a JL ticket or being a JMB member.

Alternatively, is it possible to just visit Sky Museum and skip all of this hassle?

JALPak Jan 12, 14 5:30 pm

I have no problems signing up. In fact, I am going again tomorrow.

No need to type in Japanese, just use English name and you don't have to put in the flight info.

But the entire tour is conducted in Japanese, so be prepared.

JALPak Jan 14, 14 4:57 am

Actually they specially arranged a small group English tour for me today :D

IceTrojan Jan 16, 14 6:07 pm

There's a hangar tour?! Where have I been these past several years??

Chucksta Jan 19, 14 4:14 pm

Where can I get more info in english? I can only find a japanese page.

http://www.jal.co.jp/kengaku/

Also the booking form seems to be in japanese. Any ideas?

JALPak: How did you arrange an English tour?

JALPak Jan 19, 14 9:18 pm


Originally Posted by Chucksta (Post 22184076)
Where can I get more info in english? I can only find a japanese page.

http://www.jal.co.jp/kengaku/

Also the booking form seems to be in japanese. Any ideas?

JALPak: How did you arrange an English tour?

I didn't request for it. They somehow arranged one for us.

Tom0706 May 2, 14 3:23 am


Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 22150747)
Actually they specially arranged a small group English tour for me today :D

Could you provide some guidance on how to make a reservation? I wasn't able to find an English version of this site: http://www.jal.co.jp/kengaku -- Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

musashino22 May 7, 14 1:17 am


Originally Posted by Tom0706 (Post 22796655)
Could you provide some guidance on how to make a reservation? I wasn't able to find an English version of this site: http://www.jal.co.jp/kengaku -- Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

It's a bit difficult to explain here as reservations are all in Japanese. So far from checking the availability (as of today), the following dates are ok :

May 2014 - 9,12,13,14,15,19,28,30
Jun 2014 - 19
Jul 2014 - 15
Nov 2015 - 5,7

Dates not mentioned here are already fully booked. Might want to try calling (+81 3-5756-1155 9:30~16:30 JST)them to book and say you don't speak Japanese. If you need further help, PM me and may be I can help book a tour for you. :)

IceTrojan Jan 3, 15 5:22 am

Is this museum worth a visit for a) a commercial aviation geek or b) a civilian with no particular interest in aviation? I'm visiting Tokyo with a few friends in tow, so just wondering if I should head out by myself or have them come with me (or just skip it all together).

JALPak Jan 3, 15 5:47 am


Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 24092770)
Is this museum worth a visit for a) a commercial aviation geek or b) a civilian with no particular interest in aviation? I'm visiting Tokyo with a few friends in tow, so just wondering if I should head out by myself or have them come with me (or just skip it all together).

I brought my mom (JAL? LOL) who has no interests in JAL or aviation to the full tour and after the visit she said it worths visiting it. But they gave us a semi private tour in English though :p So not sure if it makes any difference if your friend doesn't understand Japanese at all.

yamanote8 Jan 5, 15 9:02 am

Has anyone tried booking this lately?

I've tried a variety of dates and times but consistently get the following error:


エラーが発生しました。
お手数ですが、もう一度お試しください。
...which, as far as I can tell, is just a generic error telling me to try again. Anything I can do, short of making a long-distance call tomorrow? Appreciate any help.

JALPak Jan 6, 15 8:13 am


Originally Posted by yamanote8 (Post 24104302)
Has anyone tried booking this lately?

I've tried a variety of dates and times but consistently get the following error:



...which, as far as I can tell, is just a generic error telling me to try again. Anything I can do, short of making a long-distance call tomorrow? Appreciate any help.

At which stage you got this error?

yamanote8 Jan 6, 15 10:18 am


Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 24110887)
At which stage you got this error?

At the very end- after selecting date/time, entering all personal information and confirming everything was entered correctly.

yamanote8 Jan 6, 15 1:45 pm

Never mind. Tried again this evening following the same steps I did last night, and this time I was successful in booking the tour.

Looking forward to it! Had no idea JAL offered such a thing in the past.

Taiwaned Aug 31, 15 7:38 am

Booked and going on Friday morning.

Looking forward to it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:42 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.