FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL Hangar Tour/Sky Museum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1540840-jal-hangar-tour-sky-museum.html)

calhk Aug 31, 2015 11:27 am

Last year when I visited I saw a 767-300ER, 777-300, 787-8 and a 747-400 (Japanese Air Force Two). But I was told not to upload any photos of the government exclusive aircraft as it is forbidden by the Japan Self-Defense Forces.

Taiwaned Sep 5, 2015 5:41 pm

Despite it all being Japanese, it was well worth it.

Getting right onto the hanger floor, walking around to the open doors and looking over the runway.

There was a 777 going through retrofit and upgrade, another going through routine inspection.

The presentation highlighted what parts of the Boeing plane is made in Japan and which company actually makes it. It was Mitsubishi, Kawasaki and Fuji does this, does that. Interesting to know that 21 percent of a boeing plane is made in Japan.

When the new Airbus order will be filled.

It was more than I expected. Highly recommend especially if you understand basic Japanese.

rustykettel Sep 20, 2016 4:04 am

Just came back from the tour today. Highly recommended even for the non-Japanense speaker! There's an English version of the printed material at the check in. Just ask the person giving you your lanyard badge. Lots of interesting items at the gift shop, nice exhibits, and the classroom presentation was fairly understandable. Highlight of the tour was the maintenance hanger of course! Lots and lots of opportunities to take pictures or have your picture taken!

Couple of points from my own experience:
Google Translate was extremely helpful in figuring out how to fill in the forms and the follow on emails from JAL.
If you're taking the Monorail to Haneda, make sure to take the local and not the express. Station is Shin Seibijo after the International Terminal stop and before Terminal One, not to be confused with Seibijo station before the International Terminal.

ETA: There's an offer on the back of the admission badge for 100 miles when enrolling in JMB at the tour and a special kids JMB card for their enrollment (if Google Translate is translating it correctly). Didn't know!

palmanfr Mar 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi,

I am desperately trying to book a visit of the JAL Sky museum and although I am writing everything in Japanese on the form, I keep getting the error message stating I should be writing in Katakana. Any way someone non-Japanese speaker has been able to register using their website ? I have been using Google translate to complete the forms required. The only Latin characters I am using are for the email adress and the numbers (street number, telephone, birth date...)
  • 【フリガナ】片仮名で入力してください.
Can someone please help me ? I found the perfect dates for this visit and the slots are filling up fast !

Thanks for your help !

JALPak Mar 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 30925783)
Hi,

I am desperately trying to book a visit of the JAL Sky museum and although I am writing everything in Japanese on the form, I keep getting the error message stating I should be writing in Katakana. Any way someone non-Japanese speaker has been able to register using their website ? I have been using Google translate to complete the forms required. The only Latin characters I am using are for the email adress and the numbers (street number, telephone, birth date...)
  • 【フリガナ】片仮名で入力してください.
Can someone please help me ? I found the perfect dates for this visit and the slots are filling up fast !

Thanks for your help !

enter katakana of your English name

palmanfr Mar 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30925790)

enter katakana of your English name

Yeah, this is what I did... My first name for instance is Guillaume, which translates into ウィリアム (English equivalent of my name is William - this translation is offered by google translate). For my last name, I translated each syllable using an online dictionary.

Thank you!

JALPak Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 30925889)
Yeah, this is what I did... My first name for instance is Guillaume, which translates into ウィリアム (English equivalent of my name is William - this translation is offered by google translate). For my last name, I translated each syllable using an online dictionary.

Thank you!

and you still got the error?

palmanfr Mar 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30925905)

and you still got the error?

Yes indeed.

https://jalfactorytour.secure.force....n_note_002.gif以下をご確認ください

• 【フリガナ】片仮名で入力してください.

JALPak Mar 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 30925914)
Yes indeed.

https://jalfactorytour.secure.force....n_note_002.gif以下をご確認ください

• 【フリガナ】片仮名で入力してください.

don’t enter a space in between?

rustykettel Mar 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Try entering your last name in Google Translate and copying the output of that as well. Maybe a non-katakana is getting copied over from wherever you're putting together the last name.

ETA: I did the same 2.5 years ago. I remember it took a while but the specifics are hazy now.

Jinxed_K Mar 25, 2019 10:12 am

The error is stating that the furigana field is not valid.
There is a field below your first/last name which you'll have to fill in again with the reading of your name. Make sure it's filled in. (which in palmanfr's case would be the same in both fields since it is non-kanji)

palmanfr Mar 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone for their assistance. It seems to have been working now. I received the booking confirmation on my email. Hopefully they won't gave me a hard time because the name on my passport is slightly different than the Japanese characters google translated !

Top of climb Mar 27, 2019 10:07 pm

The error message appears to be saying that there is furigana in one of your fields (basically little kana next to kanji characters - see this explanation here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furigana). Google Translate might be inserting furigana in some fields. Have a quick look to see if you see any little characters, and perhaps delete them and try resubmitting the form?

Edit: Didn't see that this query had been answered. Glad to hear it worked out! The tour is great.

Jinxed_K Mar 28, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 30937323)
Thanks everyone for their assistance. It seems to have been working now. I received the booking confirmation on my email. Hopefully they won't gave me a hard time because the name on my passport is slightly different than the Japanese characters google translated !

Glad to know you got it resolved.
Out of curiosity, what did you have to do?

rustykettel Mar 28, 2019 11:31 am

Enjoy the tour! Do make any puchases from the store at the start, either before the classroom portion or during the museum part. Once we went into the hangar, there wasn't a return to the store area.