JL 66 Returns to NRT

Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
JL 66 Returns to NRT

Anyone know what happened to JL 66 on Monday. I was listening to Channel 9 on UA and heard it redirect back to Tokyo
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_soci...000015424.html

brake problem
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
That's weird. Why would they go back for a brake problem. Is landing in Japan less stress on the brakes than landing in California?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
That's weird. Why would they go back for a brake problem. Is landing in Japan less stress on the brakes than landing in California?
For a plane swap
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

For a plane swap
If I were running the airline, my first priority would be delivering my pax on time rather than figuring out how to minimize costs on a plane swap.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:21 pm

If I were running the airline, my first priority would be delivering my pax on time rather than figuring out how to minimize costs on a plane swap.
Cost isn't the only factor here. Who knows what else would fail after the brake and they are only 2 hours out. Returning to Tokyo is a better option especially if you take safety into account
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Cost isn't the only factor here. Who knows what else would fail after the brake and they are only 2 hours out. Returning to Tokyo is a better option especially if you take safety into account
If safety was an issue, they should have diverted to CTS and..... they shouldn't have spent 2 hours circling mid-Pacific while they made up their mind.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:04 am

If safety was an issue, they should have diverted to CTS and..... they shouldn't have spent 2 hours circling mid-Pacific while they made up their mind.
It's a safety precaution, not an emergency. The well-trained pilots made a decision that has taken into account of all the factors to bring all passengers to SAN safely as soon as possible.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 5, 2013 at 4:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:33 am

Official words from JAL

http://www.jal.com/cms/en/corp_00229.html

During flight, a part of the data converter repeater was failed. As the result, the cockpit indication of the brake temperature for the 2 tires out of total 8 main tires disappeared, so the return was decided. But the arrival time was beyond the operating hour (until 23:00) of Tokyo (Narita), the airplane landed safely at Tokyo (Haneda) approx. 7 hour after takeoff. JAL66 re-departed on the next day by another Boeing 787.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

It's a safety precaution, not an emergency. The well-trained pilots made a decision that has taken into account of all the factors to bring all passengers to SAN safely as soon as possible.
No. They were told by management to return to Narita. At least that's what they said over the radio. This was after management had them circling over the Pacific for an extend period of time.

Nothing to do with safety or passenger convenience.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:49 pm

No. They were told by management to return to Narita. At least that's what they said over the radio. This was after management had them circling over the Pacific for an extend period of time.

Ultimately it's the captain who made the decision. And I disagree that has nothing to do with safety or passenger convenience. You are making accusation without any basis. So I will just agree to disagree with you as I see no point of continuing this discussion.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Ultimately it's the captain who made the decision. And I disagree that has nothing to do with safety or passenger convenience. You are making accusation without any basis. So I will just agree to disagree with you as I see no point of continuing this discussion.
The captain said over the radio, "HQ has decided. We're returning to Narita." Not a matter of disagreement. I'm just telling you what the facts are.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
That's a mighty bold statement. Do you have some inside knowledge to back up your assessment?

The fact of the matter is that there was going to be a flight delay no matter what -- either with the original flight because of an ATB (which is what happened) or with the return flight, since the aircraft would have needed maintenance or replacement at SAN after landing. Isn't it reasonable to think that an ATB is least disruptive because of all of the additional infrastructure/resources (parts, maintenance staff, additional aircraft, etc.) available to JL in Japan vs. in SAN that would help to minimize the delay?

-S
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sarfa33
That's a mighty bold statement. Do you have some inside knowledge to back up your assessment?

The fact of the matter is that there was going to be a flight delay no matter what -- either with the original flight because of an ATB (which is what happened) or with the return flight, since the aircraft would have needed maintenance or replacement at SAN after landing. Isn't it reasonable to think that an ATB is least disruptive because of all of the additional infrastructure/resources (parts, maintenance staff, additional aircraft, etc.) available to JL in Japan vs. in SAN that would help to minimize the delay?

-S
Certainly the least disruptive from from a cost perspective. Lot cheaper than ferrying an aircraft over to SAN to handle the return....or rebooking pax on another carrier.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:29 pm

Certainly the least disruptive from from a cost perspective. Lot cheaper than ferrying an aircraft over to SAN to handle the return....or rebooking pax on another carrier.
You are only looking at this from a single roundtrip flight perspective. Ferrying an aircraft over will further inconvenience a lot more passengers on other routes as well. Even with a return to HND in this case, SAN-NRT has to be delayed for 2 days in a row.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.