Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

New domestic cabin interior and inflight wi-fi on select domestic routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201310/002694.html

- Total of 77 777-200, 777-300, 767-300, 767-300ER, 737-800 will be retrofitted. First rollout in May 2014
- Domestic JAL SKY Wi-Fi from Summer 2014
- New high quality genuine leather seats in Class J and Y
- Wider Class J seat
- Increased legroom in Y
- LED lighting
- Domestic F on 767-300ER

Edit:

New details have been announced on the revamped domestic service branded as JAL SKY NEXT: See Post #10 for more details

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 30, 2014 at 2:35 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:55 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
About time for domestic wifi -- that's been the biggest downside versus the shinkansen for business travelers. Maybe this will force NH to finally introduce it as well.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
About time for domestic wifi -- that's been the biggest downside versus the shinkansen for business travelers. Maybe this will force NH to finally introduce it as well.
I don't know. You get 30 minutes of wi-fi for HND-ITM? You probably will still be disconnected for most part of this flight. But I am glad that there will be F service on more routes.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:03 am
Original Poster

More info on http://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/27812

Seat manufacturers:

シートメーカーは、ファーストクラスがKIホールディングス(旧小糸工業、6747)、クラスJがKIホー ルディングスと米TIMCO、普通席がゾディアック・シート・フランス(旧シクマ・エアロ・シート)となる 。

Breakdown of the 77 planes. But I don't think JAL has 9 777-300. There were only 7 as of June 30 2013.

新シート導入など内装を刷新するのは、国内線用のボーイング777-200/300型機と767-300/300ER、737-800で計77機を予定。内訳は、777-200が7機、777-300が9機、767-300/300ERが20機、737-800が41機の計画となっている。

Wi-fi rollout schedule. Not sure about the 44 planes mentioned since JAL press release says 77
改修は14年春から開始し、15年3月末までに内装は34機、無線LAN導入は44機の作業を終える予定。 16年6月までには全機の改修を終える見込み。
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by JALPak
I don't know. You get 30 minutes of wi-fi for HND-ITM? You probably will still be disconnected for most part of this flight.
Yeah, I'd imagine the point of this is to compete with NH, not with the shinkansen...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
Yeah, I'd imagine the point of this is to compete with NH, not with the shinkansen...
Or the LCCs which serve green glue as drink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3M09kZ6iU
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Was kind of hoping for more 777s with 9 across in Y (as in not just a few flights timed for NRT int'l connections), but oh well.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamar
Was kind of hoping for more 777s with 9 across in Y (as in not just a few flights timed for NRT int'l connections), but oh well.
Too bad you will still get 10 abreast. But when the A350 is deployed, the seats will be at least 18 inch wide
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster

https://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/dom/jalcafe/

You can try out the new seats for a limited time
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:23 am
Original Poster

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201401/002796.html

JAL has released more details on the revamped domestic service which is branded as JAL SKY NEXT. Other than the new seats and cabin announced earlier, JAL will also provide a free wi-fi based inflight entertainment service. You can watch sports, gourmet, music, anime and other plentiful video programs including SKY RURUBU (travel information), flight information and JAL website for free of charge. Though JAL might charge a fee for some of the video contents in the future.

Also the wi-fi service charges have been announced. There are options for a 30 minute plan and a flight plan for the duration of the flight. For the 30 minute plan, it will cost JPY 400. Otherwise, the unlimited flight plan will cost JPY 500 if you are using a smartphone, or JPY500, JPY 700, and JPY 1,200 for flights below 500 miles, between 451 and 650 miles and above 651 miles respectively if connected using a tablet or notebook.

JMB Diamond, JGC Premier, and JMB Sapphire members will receive free domestic wi-fi coupons. From May 2014, JMB members can redeem free wi-fi coupon using miles as well.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Doesn't sound like you will be able to buy a single 24 hour pass and use it on both international and domestic flights. But I would double check with JAL.

And here's a picture on the new seat demo units: https://twitter.com/ikarosairline/st...687360/photo/1
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

JAL SKY NEXT website

https://www.jal.co.jp/skynext/
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I took a look at the new seats at JAL's New Sky Cafe event at Roppongi Hills. Not that many people, surprisingly, especially compared to their similar event near Jingu Gaien where they unveiled the new SS7 seating.

The F seats are basically unchanged (instead of glossy "wood" finishing it will be matte "wood"). The J seats seem to have improved recline -- the bottom slides forward and tilts up a little to provide a slight "cradling" feeling.

I was most impressed by the Y seats -- there was an additional 2 inches of legroom which makes a huge difference. The cost of this is slightly thinner seats (i.e. less padding) and a tray table that's about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the current version. The width seems to be the same as before.

Given that Class J can be had for a 1,000 yen upcharge, I'm almost certain to go for that where available, but these Y seats are definitely a welcome change -- and a significant contrast to NH's seating, which (despite getting thinner) still seems as cramped as ever.

I asked one of the CAs on hand at the event where the 767s with F might be deployed, and she demurred, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I expect they'll be deployed on the existing routes with F and perhaps a few more commercially significant routes (ITM-CTS/OKA? FUK-CTS?) that are of long enough duration to allow for a proper F service.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I took a look at the new seats at JAL's New Sky Cafe event at Roppongi Hills. Not that many people, surprisingly, especially compared to their similar event near Jingu Gaien where they unveiled the new SS7 seating.

The F seats are basically unchanged (instead of glossy "wood" finishing it will be matte "wood"). The J seats seem to have improved recline -- the bottom slides forward and tilts up a little to provide a slight "cradling" feeling.

I was most impressed by the Y seats -- there was an additional 2 inches of legroom which makes a huge difference. The cost of this is slightly thinner seats (i.e. less padding) and a tray table that's about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the current version. The width seems to be the same as before.

Given that Class J can be had for a 1,000 yen upcharge, I'm almost certain to go for that where available, but these Y seats are definitely a welcome change -- and a significant contrast to NH's seating, which (despite getting thinner) still seems as cramped as ever.

I asked one of the CAs on hand at the event where the 767s with F might be deployed, and she demurred, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I expect they'll be deployed on the existing routes with F and perhaps a few more commercially significant routes (ITM-CTS/OKA? FUK-CTS?) that are of long enough duration to allow for a proper F service.
The F seat actually has more changes than that. There's a storage space for magazine etc in the armrest now. Also the privacy screen is bigger
Old May 29, 2014, 3:33 pm

Does anyone know if they will be adding power and/or USB ports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.