JAL - Hot Cabin

Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
It doesn't take a finance degree to understand Japanese customers are the one filling up the planes and therefore don't expect changes as long as they are happy. Doesn't really matter what the research from a chemistry PhD says.

If foreign passengers' profit/revenue becomes the majority, then maybe things will change.
They may be the majority in some cases but they are not likely the highest yielding (as they can naturally charge more ex Japan due to having their hub there.)
HNL-HND I remember the foreigner queue being shorter than the one for Japanese (though I used APEC at that time and there wasn't a single person.)
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They may be the majority in some cases but they are not likely the highest yielding (as they can naturally charge more ex Japan due to having their hub there.)
HNL-HND I remember the foreigner queue being shorter than the one for Japanese (though I used APEC at that time and there wasn't a single person.)
Exactly! As long as the Japanese are happy with the temperature, I don't really expect JAL to change.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:40 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up Educating the passengers would be highly indicated!

No doubt the so cold passengers have a medical condition that should be treated, even though it might be very common.
If they were Happy with the Temperature, they wouldn't be so bundled up and still freezing.
The airline would go a long way to really helping them learn what is making them feel so cold and uncomfortable
After all it was the Japanese, who started Preventive Medicine back in the 1200's. .
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by R&R
No doubt the so cold passengers have a medical condition that should be treated, even though it might be very common.
If they were Happy with the Temperature, they wouldn't be so bundled up and still freezing.
The airline would go a long way to really helping them learn what is making them feel so cold and uncomfortable
After all it was the Japanese, who started Preventive Medicine back in the 1200's. .
Because of the 28 degree policy in the office and elsewhere they are simply used to being warm and find colder temperature, well, cold.

I see no point in reading any more into this and giving it a complicated medical explanation.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Because of the 28 degree policy in the office and elsewhere they are simply used to being warm and find colder temperature, well, cold.

I see no point in reading any more into this and giving it a complicated medical explanation.
I don't know if the 28 degree policy has much to do with this given it has been like this even before the Tohoku earthquake. I believe it has more to do with the culture and climate in Japan. Just like how an African native probably wouldn't think it's unbearable at 28C and might even find it cold.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
I don't know if the 28 degree policy has much to do with this given it has been like this even before the Tohoku earthquake. I believe it has more to do with the culture and climate in Japan. Just like how an African native probably wouldn't think it's unbearable at 28C and might even find it cold.
Similarly, a HK person would likely complain about 12 degree weather.
A person in Canada might think that is warm.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:45 am
Suspended

Similarly, a HK person would likely complain about 12 degree weather.
A person in Canada might think that is warm.
Actually in HK people demand strong AC
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: JAL Global Club Sapphire
I believe it's the result of the reasons for the 28 degree C policy which is a factor of:

1. Population has lower body fat than Westerners so they tend to feel cold more easily.

2. They can't afford or have access to enough energy (with the power plants being off line and having to import energy resources) to cool the country to levels seen elsewhere.

Therefore there has been acculturation which I believe is both biological and group psychological to having warmer temperatures in the summer.

In the winter as only Hokkaido is generally centrally heated, the opposite applies. Other than a common room where people sit together under an electric blanket, most of the house winds up being in the high 50s F and you can see your breath if you are not in the space and blanket heated common room.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:23 pm
R&R

Question

So I gather you are saying, 'it is subjective' and if they are cold on the plane turn up the heat without consideration as to what is medically optimum for the body functions?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Actually in HK people demand strong AC
Not all 12 months of the year (and there isn't much of a variance of the temperature-25-35 degrees centigrade is normal throughout the year.)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Not all 12 months of the year (and there isn't much of a variance of the temperature-25-35 degrees centigrade is normal throughout the year.)
????
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
If 28C / 82F during the air conditioning season is normal in Japan (power issues - adopted a few years ago) then the airline is likely to maintain similar temperatures. Fortunately, for those who do not like the temperature maintained, there are other airlines. As to Hong Kong, 25 - 35 would not seem to be the norm throughout the year, as you imply (I think).

Originally Posted by correctioncx
????
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:41 pm
R&R

Question

Sorry, but it is very simple!
That is not the real reason the planes are kept so HOT.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by R&R
Sorry, but it is very simple!
That is not the real reason the planes are kept so HOT.
When was the last time you flown on JAL and what was the cabin temperature indicated by your Casio watch? I bet you must know since you were the one kept pushing for an "accurate" temperature reading with the watch.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:09 pm

I don't know anything. But from what I've come to know from talking to people (not all of 'em) that live in hot/humid climates is they like it COLD.

When I ..... and moan about the cold weather in Chicago people from hot/humid = enjoy.

Froze my butt off on an Air India flight once. On the top deck 747 I was able to talk to many and they did not agree, cold was better.

I've taken to bringing along a small hat when air traveling, just in case of a cool cabin or air blowing.

That's why I was so surprised our August 2013 NRT-ORD flight was so HOT. Not baby hot, but sweaty unrelenting hot. So much so that after requesting cooler air, the small almost infinitesimal change was much appreciated.

Also.. I think I learned this for FA in the states. The captain of the aircraft controls the cabin temperature. This could be out dated with the new equipment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.