Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by illico
Just flew ORD-NRT on 3/31 and HND-JFK on 4/15. In both cases the temperature was ok. I would have preferred it 1 degree celsius cooler but it by no means impacted my enjoyment of the flights.
Likewise with LAX-NRT on Friday 4/20. Was comfortable but more on the warm side in a t-shirt and jersey shorts with no blanket. 1 degree cooler would have been perfect. In retrospect, I should have stayed with the cooler leather over having them put the mattress out for me.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:04 am

I requested for the cabin to be colder and the steward kindly obliged.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLAT - BONVOY PLAT
Fan?

Can anyone recommend a small portable USB fan that would help cool down personal space and would not be confiscated from carry on? I'm very worried about the heat. Thread states no personal vents in F, what about in J? All info appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by susanita3333
Can anyone recommend a small portable USB fan that would help cool down personal space and would not be confiscated from carry on? I'm very worried about the heat. Thread states no personal vents in F, what about in J? All info appreciated.
No personal vents in J either. Except the NEO equipped 787-8.

​​​​
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by susanita3333
Probably too late to be helpful, but I've done JAL half dozen times recently and I've used a Xiaomi USB fan. The blade comes off. I use my power bank to position them in an optimal spot. HIGHLY recommended. I have another long haul and came in here looking for suggestions to deal with it again this year; seems like the sauna is alive and well! It's really a shame: if JAL kept the planes at a normal temp, I'd basically never fly anyone else when possible.

I'm actually goign to take a little thermometer and monitor this trip. I'm fascinated to see what the temp will actually be. My guess is that it's ~78 or so.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Horrible F award that was a waste. [moderator edit]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 4, 2018 at 11:51 am Reason: Inappropriate comment
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Horrible F award that was a waste. [miderator edit]
[moderator edit]
they always turn it down for me when requested.
keep requesting lower temp and also iced water and they would take the hint fairly. soon.
clubeurope likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 4, 2018 at 11:52 am Reason: Remove reducted text from quote
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:41 pm

Any updates on this? I swore JAL off after my 75 degree JFK-NRT flight in F, and they refused to turn the temperature down.

There is F available on my way back from PEK on JL, and it is convenient times too. But if they continue to keep their temperatures so high on board, I just can’t take them.

Any recent experiences?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:49 pm

Always hot. That's japanese standard.
​​Whether they will lower the temperature on request is highly up to the crew.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Always hot. That's japanese standard.
​​Whether they will lower the temperature on request is highly up to the crew.
I get it Japanese people like it sizzling hot and to sweat on the plane (I’m not sure why, but whatever). The temperature JL staff are instructed to set on is absolutely ridiculous. I think I read something like 25 degrees celsius? I usually don’t sleep below 18.

Anyway, I wanted to get some first hand accounts and reports of people who have traveled recently. How was the temperature crossing the Pacific? If it was too hot did you ask the crew to turn it down? Did the crew turn down the temperature?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I get it Japanese people like it sizzling hot and to sweat on the plane (I’m not sure why, but whatever). The temperature JL staff are instructed to set on is absolutely ridiculous. I think I read something like 25 degrees celsius? I usually don’t sleep below 18.

Anyway, I wanted to get some first hand accounts and reports of people who have traveled recently. How was the temperature crossing the Pacific? If it was too hot did you ask the crew to turn it down? Did the crew turn down the temperature?
I do fly JAL quite frequently, and while their cabins are warmer than other airlines, I would not call them hot The times where I have seen the temperature settings on the cabin management screens, it has been 23 celsius.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
HND-JFK in October was not too hot at all. At one point it was a bit chilly. My return flight DFW-NRT was generally fine, though there was a brief period during the flight when it was a bit toasty.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I do fly JAL quite frequently, and while their cabins are warmer than other airlines, I would not call them hot The times where I have seen the temperature settings on the cabin management screens, it has been 23 celsius.
23 Celsius is very hot. Definitely not a comfortable temperature to sleep in with which is why I’ve woken up in a sweat before.

What I don’t understand is why they keep it so hot. When you keep it cold, you can warm yourself up and put on layers. When your too hot, I can’t get naked on the plane. So it makes sense to keep the temperature cool. Last time all the way to Tokyo from JFK I was sweating in basketball shorts and a t-shirt in first class begging them to turn down the temperature. Of course they refused, and just brought me cold water. That was torturous, but the F cabin is such a good product it’s quite the dilemma.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by deh1974
Probably too late to be helpful, but I've done JAL half dozen times recently and I've used a Xiaomi USB fan. The blade comes off. I use my power bank to position them in an optimal spot. HIGHLY recommended. I have another long haul and came in here looking for suggestions to deal with it again this year; seems like the sauna is alive and well! It's really a shame: if JAL kept the planes at a normal temp, I'd basically never fly anyone else when possible.

I'm actually goign to take a little thermometer and monitor this trip. I'm fascinated to see what the temp will actually be. My guess is that it's ~78 or so.
Not 100% sure how to set this up, but sounds like a good idea and what I’m going to research doing.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23 Celsius is very hot. Definitely not a comfortable temperature to sleep in with which is why I’ve woken up in a sweat before.

What I don’t understand is why they keep it so hot. When you keep it cold, you can warm yourself up and put on layers. When your too hot, I can’t get naked on the plane. So it makes sense to keep the temperature cool. Last time all the way to Tokyo from JFK I was sweating in basketball shorts and a t-shirt in first class begging them to turn down the temperature. Of course they refused, and just brought me cold water. That was torturous, but the F cabin is such a good product it’s quite the dilemma.
If you look around the cabins, you will notice that even at the temperature of the JAL cabins the Japanese passengers are generally wearing layers and using their blankets. Temperature perception is just very different,but the temperature is set to target the majority of the passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.