Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
After flying F JFK-NRT-HKG, and not being able to sleep because of the temperature, I'll never fly JL again. I complained to the FA, who told me other passengers wouldn't like the temp down and gave me cold bottles of water. After I wrote a letter, they told me it's policy to keep the cabin at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. That's right, 76 degrees!

I just passed up on a JL F award HKG-NRT-LAX because I cannot imagine flying on such a hot plane for 14 hours.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:09 am

Thats 24.5C in normal measurement.. crazy! I would probably decide to sleep Justin Ross Lee style in such climate

Honestly, JAL, keep your cabins at decent temperatures. If you're cold you can add a blanket. But you don't want your passengers to sleep naked because you prefer to be a flying Sauna, do you?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you're cold you can add a blanket. But you don't want your passengers to sleep naked because you prefer to be a flying Sauna, do you?
This is what I've been saying forever! Supposedly Japanese people tend be cold, as my local Japanese friend told me. But you can always add layers when you are cold. You can't add any layers when it's as hot as hell, aside from getting naked! I dam n near took all my clothes off. Instead I fanned myself all the way to Tokyo with the menu. JAL's cabin temperture is Ridiculous. I don't understand why this isn't an issue with other Asian airlines.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I dam n near took all my clothes off. Instead I fanned myself all the way to Tokyo with the menu. JAL's cabin temperture is Ridiculous. I don't understand why this isn't an issue with other Asian airlines.
It seems to be a Japanese thing. I'm surprised there isn't a similar thread on the All Nippon board. I've been on NH planes which have been 26-27C. Ways I've kept cool have included dropping ice cubes down my back and standing outside the galley for long periods, where it's much cooler.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kremmen
It seems to be a Japanese thing. I'm surprised there isn't a similar thread on the All Nippon board. I've been on NH planes which have been 26-27C. Ways I've kept cool have included dropping ice cubes down my back and standing outside the galley for long periods, where it's much cooler.
LOL... the sacrifices us FF's have to make.

I'm just steering clear of JL. They have lost my business.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
LOL... the sacrifices us FF's have to make.

I'm just steering clear of JL. They have lost my business.
I think if hoards of westerners just show up to JL wearing tank tops and shorts, maybe they'll start lowering the temp.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
This is what I've been saying forever! Supposedly Japanese people tend be cold, as my local Japanese friend told me. But you can always add layers when you are cold. You can't add any layers when it's as hot as hell, aside from getting naked! I dam n near took all my clothes off. Instead I fanned myself all the way to Tokyo with the menu. JAL's cabin temperture is Ridiculous. I don't understand why this isn't an issue with other Asian airlines.
Also in Taiwan, I think 25C (77F) is what many offices like (some times set higher for air con, they is no heat in Taiwan, there is in Japan, as in Japan what they set temps. If our Taiwan/Japan office(s) was below 72F(22C) a lot of people would complain to me (as GM) being to cold to work, health hazard (too cold will get a cold and be sick!) and mostly I get wasting energy (power).
One thing I will say, I split time between Southern California and Taiwan/Japan/China. It used to be I felt hot in Taiwan were I am the most (many years ago), but now I feel somewhat cold in coastal California when I home there, so I think its partly what your body adjusts to. Japanese and many Asians (not all) seem prefer warmer and humid temps, and JAL that is their main customer base (ie Japanese, then I guess non Japanese would be Chinese, other Asians ect.) so temps are set at what most of their customers want and think is healthy and comfortable.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
I just got off two JL flights (one in C from HAN-NRT in the SS8 SkySuite and one in F from NRT-JFK). I have to say I was really worried going in, since I'm the sort of person to turn off my heat in NYC right before I go to sleep even in the winter because I get too hot even on the lowest setting, but I had no issues on either flight. I actually needed my blanket on both flights because I got cold. Admittedly I wore gym shorts and a t-shirt on the HAN-NRT leg since no pajamas were provided and I didn't put on the pajama top given in JL F, but I almost never put on long sleeved shirts to sleep in. I think it might just be a YMMV situation combined with the lack of vents to regulate if they do set the temps too high.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by chasgoose
I just got off two JL flights (one in C from HAN-NRT in the SS8 SkySuite and one in F from NRT-JFK). I have to say I was really worried going in, since I'm the sort of person to turn off my heat in NYC right before I go to sleep even in the winter because I get too hot even on the lowest setting, but I had no issues on either flight. I actually needed my blanket on both flights because I got cold. Admittedly I wore gym shorts and a t-shirt on the HAN-NRT leg since no pajamas were provided and I didn't put on the pajama top given in JL F, but I almost never put on long sleeved shirts to sleep in. I think it might just be a YMMV situation combined with the lack of vents to regulate if they do set the temps too high.
I recently flew two JAL segments in C and had a very similar experience. Temperature was fine, not noticeably hotter than any other flight I have taken.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:42 am
Suspended

Maybe they finally took the hint (or read this thread) and decided to lower the temperature to something reasonable. I sure hope this is the case, because I actually like JAL products and the service, but can't go if the temperature is what it has been in the past.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:22 pm

I'm currently up in the air on JAL 61 LAX-NRT, F. I'm wrapped in a blanket at the window, DH reports a nice temp in his aisle seat.

Best flight of my 2MM mile flying life.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:45 am

I have flown long haul JAL three times in the past year; twice in J, once in F.

The two times in J, I was in a window seat and the temperature was perfect, cold even. One was on the newer 787 and once on the 777.

The only time in F, my significant other and I were in the middle seats, and I definitely found it warm, though my SO did not. She prefers warmer temperatures however.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:12 am

Just coming off four sectors HKG-JFK in J.

Return short haul was borderline unbearable, both long hauls were okay. Really just okay though, although i have to admit i do like my cabin cold.

There was a young Japanese lady on NRT-HKG who put on two (!) sweaters and woolen socks. It was 26 degrees easy in there.

Was my first time on JAL and while it wasn't as bad as I feared, it wasn't as acceptable as I hoped it would be. Cabin temp continues to be a relevant component when deciding whether or not to fly JL

Last edited by gpia; Mar 21, 2016 at 5:13 am Reason: Hit sent by accident
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gpia
Just coming off four sectors HKG-JFK in J.

Return short haul was borderline unbearable, both long hauls were okay. Really just okay though, although i have to admit i do like my cabin cold.

There was a young Japanese lady on NRT-HKG who put on two (!) sweaters and woolen socks. It was 26 degrees easy in there.

Was my first time on JAL and while it wasn't as bad as I feared, it wasn't as acceptable as I hoped it would be. Cabin temp continues to be a relevant component when deciding whether or not to fly JL
Yeah, I've seen this on my JL flights before too. The cabin is piping hot at 76 degrees fahrenheit, and a Japanese lady is putting on layers and sweaters. Meanwhile I'm practically stripping down. lol It's just a Japanese thing I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by gpia
Similar situation with me. Flew JAL F for the first time ORD-NRT-NGO and NRT-ORD for the first time. The ex-US flight was borderline acceptable - but I had (tried to) pack accordingly and brought my own battery operated desk fan. So while not entirely comfortable, it could have been much worse for me without the fan. The ex-Japan flight was much much worse. I was flushed and sweating profusely even with the fan...and after awhile, had to ask the FA to turn down the temp. I think she could see the sweat dripping down my face and agreed. It was back to the barely tolerable state. This coupled with some service shortcomings, I will be sticking with CX (despite the hands down better food on JL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.