Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jl dme-nrt-syd

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Jl dme-nrt-syd

This airline survives purely on its wonderful service which is pure Japanese splendour - amazing to say the least. The Sakura First Lounge at NRT is quite adequate with nice food too.

Its hard product, however, is terrible..probably one of the worst J experiences ever. The food is quite nice but not so much variety. IFE poor(on these sectors anyway). Toilets have no amenities and no kits are handed out, only bits and pieces you'd find in a typical kit and even then not everything you'd expect.
To add insult to injury however, the NRT-SYD sector uses Y blankets and headphones! Don't waste your money on JAL J Class unless the new sky suite is operating your flight or the price is around half of what you'd normally pay. Qantas has nothing to worry about competition wise on the NRT service.

I wont be using them again until the entire fleet is the new skysuite in J.
Despite the most wonderful cabin crew and service it's a big thumbs down from me.
CJ
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
This airline survives purely on its wonderful service which is pure Japanese splendour - amazing to say the least. The Sakura First Lounge at NRT is quite adequate with nice food too.

Its hard product, however, is terrible..probably one of the worst J experiences ever. The food is quite nice but not so much variety. IFE poor(on these sectors anyway). Toilets have no amenities and no kits are handed out, only bits and pieces you'd find in a typical kit and even then not everything you'd expect.
To add insult to injury however, the NRT-SYD sector uses Y blankets and headphones! Don't waste your money on JAL J Class unless the new sky suite is operating your flight or the price is around half of what you'd normally pay. Qantas has nothing to worry about competition wise on the NRT service.

Despite the most wonderful cabin crew and service it's a big thumbs down from me.
CJ
Sorry to disappoint you but JAL SKY SUITE will not fix most of your issues. MAGIC-V has the same video contents. Amenities will still be handed out in a basket. NRT-SYD will still be a resort route without the noise canceling headphones and with Y blankets and the same kind of catering. In other words, it will just be a nicer seat.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Sorry to disappoint you but JAL SKY SUITE will not fix most of your issues. MAGIC-V has the same video contents. Amenities will still be handed out in a basket. NRT-SYD will still be a resort route without the noise canceling headphones and with Y blankets and the same kind of catering. In other words, it will just be a nicer seat.
Well in that case...JAL will never be an option for me..wont waste my money-I'll fly Jetstar if Im looking for a low frills carrier to NRT
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:19 am

Well in that case...JAL will never be an option for me..wont waste my money-I'll fly Jetstar if Im looking for a low frills carrier to NRT
Enjoy Jetstar then if you think it provides better value for your money.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Enjoy Jetstar then if you think it provides better value for your money.
Perhaps Jetstar may. When a 1st rate carrier uses its premium brand to fly "leisure" sectors with no frills service it degrades that premium product and the publics perception of it. That said, even on the DME-NRT sector there wasn't anything too premium to be seen or enjoyed in any case

JAL is almost a total waste of money in J class. My colleagues in Sydney warned me about JAL prior..I should have listened
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:07 am

Perhaps Jetstar may. When a 1st rate carrier uses its premium brand to fly "leisure" sectors with no frills service it degrades that premium product and the publics perception of it. That said, even on the DME-NRT sector there wasn't anything too premium to be seen or enjoyed in any case

JAL is almost a total waste of money in J class. My colleagues in Sydney warned me about JAL prior..I should have listened
As I said enjoy Jetstar then. I wasn't even trying to argue or convince you otherwise. If I were, I wouldn't have told you that you were not making any sense to wait for SKY SUITE.

People prioritize what's important when picking a carrier. Some would pay a premium just to fly on JAL, even in Y, and some would simply avoid it just like you. We are just looking for different things when we fly. There's no right or wrong about it. Thanks for sharing your experience anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 am
Suspended

Should've flown CX where u get both service and good consistent hard product across all long haul
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:11 pm

As I said enjoy Jetstar then. I wasn't even trying to argue or convince you otherwise. If I were, I wouldn't have told you that you were not making any sense to wait for SKY SUITE.

People prioritize what's important when picking a carrier. Some would pay a premium just to fly on JAL, even in Y, and some would simply avoid it just like you. We are just looking for different things when we fly. There's no right or wrong about it. Thanks for sharing your experience anyway.
What an excellent, reasonable, and balanced to a rant. ^^
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:46 am

So I have been on a few internal Asian routes on JAL, mostly in Y and I kept thinking about how good the quality of the food is. They are very japanese but the food seems to be of good quality and lots of small portiond of many varieties. I told myself that some of my friends who were not used to real Japanese food would probably not enjoy them.

Just 2 weeks ago on HND-BKK. They served salmon and rice for breakfast. Many westerners probably won't like that. There were some bones on my salmon but I didn't mind it because it tasted great but some of my American friends would think its unacceptable.

In my opinion jal has the best food but it's catered to Japanese taste and those that appreciate Japanese food.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:38 pm

CJ
Two things
1) if you are using the airline headphones and you fly as much as you must to have the statuses you claim to have then it`s about time you went out and bought a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones then that will sold this problem on all your future flights with any airline.
2) Blankets? The temperature for anyone that isn`t Japanese is extremely hot. I normally fly in boardshorts and t shirt. If you actually need to use the blanket and you are a white Australian then i`d say that`s incredible!

I take it you flew in their 787 or did you fly in the 777-200? Maybe if i was buying a C ticket rather than upgrading i`d consider other options but given how cheap it is to buy a upgradable Y ticket then upgrade to C as a JAL elite... (about 3 times cheaper than QF) then it`s sooo worth it regardless of the seat not being up to scatch and a couple of the very minor issues you mentioned!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simmo
Two things
1) if you are using the airline headphones and you fly as much as you must to have the statuses you claim to have then it`s about time you went out and bought a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones then that will sold this problem on all your future flights with any airline.
2) Blankets? The temperature for anyone that isn`t Japanese is extremely hot. I normally fly in boardshorts and t shirt. If you actually need to use the blanket and you are a white Australian then i`d say that`s incredible!

I take it you flew in their 787 or did you fly in the 777-200? Maybe if i was buying a C ticket rather than upgrading i`d consider other options but given how cheap it is to buy a upgradable Y ticket then upgrade to C as a JAL elite... (about 3 times cheaper than QF) then it`s sooo worth it regardless of the seat not being up to scatch and a couple of the very minor issues you mentioned!
When I pay a premium why waste money on headphones when they should be supplied and have to lug them around each time I travel. I agree however, in my bid to remain loyal to oneworld, Cathay who I also flew on my RTW SYD-HKG-ORD were superb to say the least. You really cant fault CX in anyway. JAL have a long way to go to get to their standard.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:11 am

JAL have a long way to go to get to their standard.
I hope JAL would never fall to CX's standard which I am not a fan of. When I fly, I look for professional and genuine service from heart and Japanese hospitality in all classes. I could care less about amenities kits and headphones. But that's just me, others might look for different things.

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 23, 2013 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

I hope JAL would never fall to CX's standard which I am not a fan of. When I fly, I look for professional and genuine service from heart and Japanese hospitality in all classes. I could care less about amenities kits and headphones. But that's just me, others might look for different things.
I've been nothing but impressed with service levels from CX..not as gracious as JAL given, but not far off either-minus all the bows The hard product however, is essentially what I also pay a premium for, so I do care a lot about that.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
4 OT personal comments and response thereto deleted. Be nice to each other!

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:21 am

When I pay a premium why waste money on headphones when they should be supplied and have to lug them around each time I travel. I agree however, in my bid to remain loyal to oneworld, Cathay who I also flew on my RTW SYD-HKG-ORD were superb to say the least. You really cant fault CX in anyway. JAL have a long way to go to get to their standard.
Well the route isn`t doing well as there`s now another discount campaign to fly for 5% less miles in Y. C cabin has never been full when i talk to my MD and whenever I`ve flown there however seems to be mainly full of Japanese business men rather than Australians (NRT-SYD)

I hope in the future they upgrade all 787 planes with flat beds as that will be a big step in the right direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.