Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Best business class seats in 787? [old E01 config with NEO seat]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

My wife and I would be flying DEL-NRT by JL740 in December. According to the booking, the aircraft type is 788. Is there some consensus here on what would be the best J seat?

Seatguru seems to think Row 7, but SeatExpert colors the same row in yellow as a sign of warning.

If you have an opinion, please share it! Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:25 pm

Never been on row 7, been on row 1, and it seems just fine. It's nice to have the extra foot space. If row 1 is not available, I would have chosen row 7. Traffic to galley and bathroom doesn't bother me much. Not that much traffic anyways.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
How are the biz seats on the 788? Are we looking at non-flat, angled, "not-as-good-as-SQ" type seats or has JAL really done something special with the Dreamliner?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Are we looking at non-flat, angled, "not-as-good-as-SQ" type seats or has JAL really done something special with the Dreamliner?
AFAIK, they are flat, but not quite horizontal.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thanks, so basically I'm looking at a much worse hard product on JAL's new 788 than on SQ's 77W & A380 that service the NRT route?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:51 pm

My guess is that you're comparing the hard products of this

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/fl...g/newbusiness/

with this (and pls do correct me if I'm wrong)

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/business/c_seat/

Hmm...if the answer is not shouting at you, then it must be down to a personal choice, in which case, it would be hard to give you an answer... Only you can tell if it's "not-as-good-as-SQ" and "much worse" by your own preferences of what is best.

If you were to compare the older business class seats to the 788's Neo seats, then I would pick the 788, but that's not the question you're asking.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:35 pm

Thanks. So it's fair to say that JAL did not install it's best C seats on the Dreamliner?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by aster
Thanks. So it's fair to say that JAL did not install it's best C seats on the Dreamliner?
It installed the best C seats at the time the cabin was designed
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
I am not so sure that the concept of a flat horizontal bed was unimaginable or the product unavailable in the market. AA also chose angled-flat J seats and many of us are still regretting the choice. However, whatever the motivation, I am sure that it was a choice that companies like JL and AA made, while others chose fully flat seats.

Still better than and preferable to coach, and I'd leave it at that sincerely positive note.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
It definitely wasn't the best C seat when ordering the 787.
When did BA start to offer lieflat beds in CW? Or VS?
JL must have thought the same way LH CEO thought about the future of C class.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...d-c-class.html
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77
It definitely wasn't the best C seat when ordering the 787.
When did BA start to offer lieflat beds in CW? Or VS?
JL must have thought the same way LH CEO thought about the future of C class.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...d-c-class.html
The best in JAL fleet
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just flew BOS-NRT on the 787 in row 7 (my wife and I had the middle two seats). the bottom line is that it's fine - there's a huge amount of leg room but there's no tremendous advantage to that, especially in the middle where both seats have aisle access. Looking around, I don't think that there are major differences among seats except that window seats might have to do a little climbing over a sleeper. Also, the FA's are incredibly discrete and there was no evident noise from the galley.

The seats were the best JAL seats at the time (now they've gone to fully flat seats) but were not as good as others available at the time. I haven't been in the new JAL business but the newest SQ business seats are excellent. The advantage of JAL is that you can genuinely sit comfortably with a companion (SQ is so private that you would never know that your companion is on the same flight). Also the 787 is magnificent - comfortable, incredibly spacious feeling, at least in J, and with better cabin pressure and humidity. To me, the seats seem quite steeply angled, though, and seem worse than, say, AA. Altogether, a lovely flight but, if a long sleep is important to you, there are probably better seats.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:02 am

I was on a 787 for their SIN-NRT and HND-SIN route... note the in-arm TV for the bulkhead seat is smaller than all other seats where the TV is behind the seat in front of you. Avoid bulkhead if you intend to spend significant time on their AVOD.

But as my flights were red eyes, I was keener to sleep and the bulk head was slightly more comfortable considering the 787 seats are angled lie flats and not full flats.

Also JAL does not supply noise cancelling headphones for their 787s! I thought this should be a standard offering for their most modern aircraft.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Oct 14, 2013 at 11:37 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I was on a 787 for their SIN-NRT and HND-SIN route... note the in-arm TV for the bulkhead seat is smaller than all other seats where the TV is behind the seat in front of you. Avoid bulkhead if you intend to significant time on their AVOD.
I actually like the bulkhead seat because of the smaller but closer screen for IFE.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:21 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
IMHO the ANA 787 Business Cabin which was selected 2 years before JAL is much Superior..The Center Solo Thrones are light years ahead of JLs Couples only seats.

http://www.airlinesanddestinations.c...nterior-01.jpg

However the Oscar goes to Oman Air 787 Business Class its the format everybody else will eventually have to evolve to

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9gHB-ZbQX0...ss-class2.jpeg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.