Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will abolish the use of "ladies and gentlemen" in English announcements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards

https://soranews24.com/2020/09/28/ja...al-minorities/

Instead, they'll use terms that are less binary like "everyone" and "all passengers." Japanese announcements already use language that isn't gendered.
tetudc and GordonMacPherson like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even better is to eliminate throat-clearing parts of announcements altogether, e.g. "welcome aboard, please fasten your seat belt."
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I don't think it matters to the Japanese cause it was never used when speaking Japanese.

Mina-sama konnichiwa never really meant Ladies and Gentleman, it's a super formal way of greeting Everyone good morning.

Just like in some of the Mandarin announcements you hear Ger Wei Guei Bing is literally just All VIPs.

I am sure the Japanese can find another version for the onboard announcement that makes them sound very humble to the guests.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I don't think it matters to the Japanese cause it was never used when speaking Japanese.

Mina-sama konnichiwa never really meant Ladies and Gentleman, it's a super formal way of greeting Everyone good morning.

Just like in some of the Mandarin announcements you hear Ger Wei Guei Bing is literally just All VIPs.

I am sure the Japanese can find another version for the onboard announcement that makes them sound very humble to the guests.
Oh yeah, I know that. They and ANA use words like mina-sama, okkyaku-sama. I just didn’t want to get into the weeds about the language. Gendered words really just aren’t terribly common in Japanese.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
if people are so concerned they should fly airlines thats speaks so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.