Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29445512-post61.htmlThis is the master thread to keep track of JAL fuel surcharge (YQ) on its international flights and the average Singapore kerosene-type jet fuel price used to determine the YQ. Below are the current and future YQ on JAL international tickets. All dates refers to ticketing dates

Jun - Jul 2018
Japan: Zone C [No Change]
Others: Zone B [No Change]
Average: USD79.58/JPY8,504 per barrel (avg exchange rate: 106.86 JPY/USD)

Aug - Sep 2018
Japan: Zone D [[b]Increase]
Others: Zone C [[b]Increase]
Average: USD87.70/JPY9,523 per barrel (avg exchange rate: 108.59 JPY/USD)

You can find the historic data in the first post below.

MASTER PAGE

Print Wikipost

JAL Fuel Surcharge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Good to see it's dropping, though it shows Singapore Economy is dying?
Singapore kerosene-type jet fuel has nothing to do with Singapore nor Singapore's economy!!!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:38 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is there a way to see the fuel surcharge in ticket pricing breakdown for award reservations not yet ticketed (on waitlist)?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:46 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Is there a way to see the fuel surcharge in ticket pricing breakdown for award reservations not yet ticketed (on waitlist)?
No, YQ is based on ticketing date. Without that, you can't tell for sure how much YQ would be.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:25 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by JALPak
No, YQ is based on ticketing date. Without that, you can't tell for sure how much YQ would be.
Right ok, I remember seeing a tax/fees value for booking award flights (waitlist) is that an estimate based on the booking date and can change upon ticketing?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Right ok, I remember seeing a tax/fees value for booking award flights (waitlist) is that an estimate based on the booking date and can change upon ticketing?
Of course! YQ, exchange rates, and sometimes even taxes can change
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Singapore kerosene-type jet fuel has nothing to do with Singapore nor Singapore's economy!!!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:34 am

Weird. The site says YQ from Australia should be 42 AUD right now but looking at ITA Matrix, it says there's no surcharge (except the for insurance fee).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by Reikon
Weird. The site says YQ from Australia should be 42 AUD right now but looking at ITA Matrix, it says there's no surcharge (except the for insurance fee).
That's because the fuel surcharge is collected as a Q-charge in the fare for departures from Australia.

People use "YQ" as shorthand for the fuel surcharge all the time, but this is actually wrong. YQ can be used for any carrier imposed fee, as can YR and the Q-charge.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by 777Cat3b
That's because the fuel surcharge is collected as a Q-charge in the fare for departures from Australia.

People use "YQ" as shorthand for the fuel surcharge all the time, but this is actually wrong. YQ can be used for any carrier imposed fee, as can YR and the Q-charge.
There is no "Q" or YR on the route.

Australia Passenger Movement Charge PMC (AU)
A$60.00
Australia Passenger Services Charge Departure International (WY)
A$30.51
JL YQ surcharge (YQ)
A$4.10
The 4.10 YQ is the insurance charge. There's no fuel surcharge.

Looking at the fare rules it says the fuel surcharge is added to the fare which means it's unlike a normal YQ and is basically a fare increase, which honestly is the way it should be done. Odd that Australia is the only country I've found to do it like that. Maybe an Australian law?

Last edited by Reikon; Aug 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/fare/f..._overseas.html

The fuel surcharge for tickets departing from outside Japan will be zero for OCT-NOV 2017.
Originally Posted by JALPak
Darn it! $184 extra to JAL. Maybe I can convince the wife to book an extra trip to save on the YQ...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by Reikon
There is no "Q" or YR on the route.

The 4.10 YQ is the insurance charge. There's no fuel surcharge.

Looking at the fare rules it says the fuel surcharge is added to the fare which means it's unlike a normal YQ and is basically a fare increase, which honestly is the way it should be done. Odd that Australia is the only country I've found to do it like that. Maybe an Australian law?
That's exactly what I said. A Q charge is a surcharge added onto the published fare in CAT-12 of the fare rules. For fares departing Australia, the fuel surcharge is set in AUD and collected as a Q charge which is added onto the base fare. To say there is no fuel surcharge is incorrect. It is not collected as YQ, but that's because YQ tax is not the only method for collecting a surcharge.

YQ does not mean "fuel surcharge".
JALPak likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:04 pm

That's exactly what I said. A Q charge is a surcharge added onto the published fare in CAT-12 of the fare rules. For fares departing Australia, the fuel surcharge is set in AUD and collected as a Q charge which is added onto the base fare. To say there is no fuel surcharge is incorrect. It is not collected as YQ, but that's because YQ tax is not the only method for collecting a surcharge.

YQ does not mean "fuel surcharge".
Yes that's what I said at the end of my post. I never said YQ specifically meant fuel surcharge as I pointed out the small YQ was insurance.

I do find it odd ex-Australia is the only market for JL I've found where the fuel surcharge is included in the fare and not broken out of the fare. It doesn't affect cash bookings much since the price is the price and they'll adjust as needed to be competitive, but fuel surcharges included in the fare should mean it's not paid for awards.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
I wouldn't say nothing to do with it. Every economy has an impact on it just a matter of how much
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

So the fuel surcharge only went away for roundtrip to Japan. If you fly via Japan (e.g. LAX-NRT-KUL) it still has the surcharge

The CSR said she's checked with the rate desk and the surcharge will stay for this routing. I have never seen surcharge stays for travel via Japan but disappears for routing to Japan before
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201710/004459.html

The price of Singapore kerosene-type jet fuel during the two month period of August and September 2017 averaged US$65.41 per barrel, which accounted for 7,213 yen in the average exchange rate of 110.28 JPY/USD during the same period.

As a result, with reference to the fuel surcharge benchmark list for FY2017 in Japanese yen, this corresponds to Zone B of fuel surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.