Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
JAL is clear that their awards are based on cumulative segments. So, best guess is that they are calculating the outbound and inbound separately.
The high YQ is for the return leg ex. JFK. Do a matrix search to confirm. EK YQ surcharge (YQ)US$812.00 (JFK-MLE one way).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
JAL is clear that their awards are based on cumulative segments. So, best guess is that they are calculating the outbound and inbound separately.
The high YQ is for the return leg ex. JFK. Do a matrix search to confirm. EK YQ surcharge (YQ)US$812.00 (JFK-MLE one way).
I think it's one step further - not only calculating the outbound and return separately, but also counting each individual segment within the outbound/return. MLE-DXB-JFK should not have any YQ based on ITA, but I was quoted $560. That would only make sense if it was calculating MLE-DXB and DXB-JFK.

Shame, as I really was hoping to figure out a way to dump YQ.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:19 am

MLE-JFK and JFK-MLE.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:07 pm

This is a positive DP for those who transferred points from SPG and got hosed by JAL's unannounced YQ charge changes: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...thout-warning/
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Looking to book LHR to DXB return - Quoted $1100 in taxes roundtrip in F and 100k

Not very good value but as I have already transferred SPG points will have to book this now
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

After booking my Emirates award, I notice that it "errors out" when looking up the award reservation on the JAL mileage bank site but it shows up fine on the Emirates website. Is this normal?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Anyone have the list of origin cities where YQ ins't added? I have found SYD, AUK, HKG
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Bueller?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Bueller?
Most of fuel dumping hobbyist have this readily available. Unfortunately they are not keen on sharing it in very public manner.

I will share few:
CMB
HKG
NRT
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ccuser11
Most of fuel dumping hobbyist have this readily available. Unfortunately they are not keen on sharing it in very public manner.

I will share few:
CMB
HKG
NRT
I could use its software and just search fares from all the different origins that EK flies and see if they add YQ, but having it here is good as a reference. Thanks.

I’ll take PM’s as well.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Member

Hello all
I called JL and tried to redeem 100k miles for OSL-DXB (transit) - SYD (stopover) - DXB (destination) but was told that it is not possible as you have to return to the same country. From what I’ve read on here, this seems to be incorrect info?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I called JL and tried to redeem 100k miles for OSL-DXB (transit) - SYD (stopover) - DXB (destination) but was told that it is not possible as you have to return to the same country. From what I’ve read on here, this seems to be incorrect info?
Origin and final destination can be in different countries. I wonder if it is the transit in the destination city that gives the issue.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Years ago, I booked YYZ-DXB(stop)-DAR(stop)-DXB(destination) twice, and I don't believe the rules have changed, so I think this is likely a case of HUACA.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:56 am

Hi folks, new to JAL and was trying to get an idea about availability of EK award space for 2 in J/Y for US to SE Asia. Since the fuel surcharges were introduced, is there better availability? How far in advance would you suggest looking for seats? Have you had luck in finding late award space? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by bizum
Hi folks, new to JAL and was trying to get an idea about availability of EK award space for 2 in J/Y for US to SE Asia.
Welcome. You could wait for someone to volunteer an answer, or just go to EK website or Alaska website and search for the dates you are looking for.
Since the fuel surcharges were introduced, is there better availability?
Plausibly so, but then, just look for the dates you want, rather than waiting for some data to be posted.
How far in advance would you suggest looking for seats?
As far as possible, since EK does not consistently release seats, and there is competition from similar award space hunters.
Have you had luck in finding late award space?
Yes. for JFK-DXB-SIN. But, you haven't even mentioned your route, so I have no idea what luck you would need or are asking
bizum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.