Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:16 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by turiel
Are there fuel surcharges on Europe to Middle East (DXB) ?

The agent has quoted me about $700 in taxes+fuel for DUB->DXB roundtrip in business. He's based in California.

He insists that anywhere in Europe to DXB has high charges, it's US routes etc that have low charges.

ITA matrix shows ~$700 is correct. I've tried different sales cities.

I've looked through 10 pages here and can't find anyone talking about EU routes that don't involve US.
Someone reported he got charged that amount on Asia-EU.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
is HKG DXB BAH allowed for EK award (one way?) is the mileage <4000 right for the JAL system? and it would cost 65000 JAL miles?

Also, my mileage will expire in Sept 2018. I can book this before then and try within one year from the date I book, right? thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pbd456
is HKG DXB BAH allowed for EK award (one way?) is the mileage <4000 right for the JAL system? and it would cost 65000 JAL miles?

Also, my mileage will expire in Sept 2018. I can book this before then and try within one year from the date I book, right? thanks.
3988 miles according to JAL.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
3988 miles according to JAL.
it would be 65000 miles, right? and no need to pay for the mileage from BAH back to HKG...
thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pbd456
it would be 65000 miles, right? and no need to pay for the mileage from BAH back to HKG...
thanks.
Yes, 65K. And no need to pay for return mileage.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Last week I booked BKK-DXB-MXP (stop)-JFK (stop)-DXB (stop)-BKK for 100,000 JAL miles. All Business class on EK A380.

Waited on hold for 20 minutes with LA call center but had an amazing agent once we got connected.

Taxes and fuel surcharges all together were $119.36. Aka, they did not charge a fuel surcharge.

I would encourage everyone to book these epic awards as soon as possible while they're still available. I hope we're talking about them 5 years from now, but somehow I doubt we will at the current insane values.
I've taken the outbound portion of this trip to JFK, and the inbound portion from JFK back to BKK is in January 2018.

Does anyone know if I can change the dates on the "return" portion flights, or is it impossible since the trip has already begun?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I've taken the outbound portion of this trip to JFK, and the inbound portion from JFK back to BKK is in January 2018.

Does anyone know if I can change the dates on the "return" portion flights, or is it impossible since the trip has already begun?
Tickets can only be changed before the departure of the first leg.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:19 am

Hi, I am thinking of using my miles for two EK first tickets from Sez via Dubai to Singapore one way.

Can you guys tell me how many miles I need since the routing says 5.690 miles. So would it be 90k for the both of us since we only need one way tickets or 180k?

Also, does anyone know how high the surcharges are for this routing?

Thank you so much for the support guys.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by elgato
Hi, I am thinking of using my miles for two EK first tickets from Sez via Dubai to Singapore one way.

Can you guys tell me how many miles I need since the routing says 5.690 miles. So would it be 90k for the both of us since we only need one way tickets or 180k?

Also, does anyone know how high the surcharges are for this routing?

Thank you so much for the support guys.
It will be 90K per ticket. JAL's award chart is listed by mileage, not by sector or RT fair. So as it is a total of 5,687 miles one way it will be 90K per award ticket for 1st class.

As for the surcharges I cannot answer.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:30 am

My wife and I want to fly out of London, stopover for a week in Dubai and then on to DC. JAL calculates the total distance at 10,460 miles, requiring 115,000 points (each) in F.
Before I transfer 190,000 Starpoints, is this a valid itinerary? I know usually you wouldn't fly from London to US via Dubai.

Also, are there any common pitfalls when trying to book EK through JAL that I should know about?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by challenger818
My wife and I want to fly out of London, stopover for a week in Dubai and then on to DC. JAL calculates the total distance at 10,460 miles, requiring 115,000 points (each) in F.
Before I transfer 190,000 Starpoints, is this a valid itinerary? I know usually you wouldn't fly from London to US via Dubai.

Also, are there any common pitfalls when trying to book EK through JAL that I should know about?
I imagine the itinerary should work just fine. Not sure what the taxes or fees might be as it seems JAL is a bit inconsistent on those. Maybe someone else could chime in.

as far as pitfalls. My advice would be to transfer all miles into 1 JAL account and book for you and your wife. I have heard of reports of them requiring a marriage license, but I did not expirience that when I booked our award with them.

And in my experience, if you speak with someone who gives you an answer that doesn't seem right, be polite and just call back. Chances are you'll get what you need.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
What are the rules for award change? Can I make a small change to destination, like change SFO-DXB-CAI (rt) to SFO-DXB-AMM (rt)?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
What are the rules for award change? Can I make a small change to destination, like change SFO-DXB-CAI (rt) to SFO-DXB-AMM (rt)?
Basically you can't change the destonation

Changes to the traveler's name, the airline carrier, the flight sector, the class of service, the routing, reversing the direction of travel, and exchanges to other awards are not permitted.
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...ncel.html#tabs
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time posting. I'm having trouble with JAL Mileagebank staff, and not sure what to do next. Any help offered would be appreciated.

I've been planning on an extended trip next spring with the following routing on Emirates: ORD-DXB-CAI-DXB-KHI-DXB-ORD. The first stop in DXB is for a couple days, the rest are connections to make my onwards flights via EK. To my understanding, I'm meeting all of the JAL routing rules (max six segments, one city visit max 3 times, max 3 stopovers).

A couple weeks back, I finally had enough starpoints to make the booking. I checked the Qantas and Emirates sites to confirm award availability, and called MB customer service to confirm they could see the seats. Everything checked out, so I went ahead and made the transfer.

This is where my trouble started. I made a call yesterday to finally book the seats for four passengers. For some reason, JAL staff keeps telling me there is no award availability on two of my segments (DXB-KHI & KHI-DXB). Changing the dates doesn't help - each agent says they can't see any availability in the first four months of 2018. A couple agents have told me that JAL does not have a contract with Emirates for these tickets (not sure what that means). I've tried HUCA, and (aside from the excruciating 40-min wait to talk to a person) I've had no luck. Some agents were able to see the seats using direct search or direct booking (they each called it something different), but they say that they cannot book the tickets because Emirates will cancel them. Again, I'm not sure why this is the case. I should mention that through all this, the seats still show on Qantas and Emirates award availability. I haven't checked Alaska because my understanding is that Alaska can't see tickets without US cities.

I should mention that I made multiple calls before the transfer was complete to confirm the seat availability. There were no availability issues in the week it took for my points to transfer over.

On another note, a few agents have condescendingly mentioned my recent JAL MB account signup and transfer of points from SPG. I wasn't aware that this was something JAL looked down upon, but I do find it discourteous. I didn't steal these points and I'm not asking for a handout - I spent almost three years saving up these points. I'm not sure if the newness of my account has anything to do with the trouble I've been having.

Also, I've found JAL staff to be inconsistent in their knowledge of the award ticket rules. Some were experts, while others told me my routing was impossible - only to put me on hold for 10 minutes and then tell me the routing was okay but that seats were not available.

Sorry for the essay - I have always used my starpoints for hotel stays and this is my first time booking flights with points. I've always dreamed of booking tickets with points, and it's frustrating to be this close to the finish and get stuck. Again, I can see the seats just fine on the Qantas & Emirates sites. Any tips? I don't think moving the points back to SPG is an option...

Thanks

Last edited by Flyer248; Oct 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm Reason: Edit: Corrected spelling
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Flyer248
A couple weeks back, I finally had enough starpoints to make the booking. I checked the Qantas and Emirates sites to confirm award availability, and called MB customer service to confirm they could see the seats. Everything checked out, so I went ahead and made the transfer. This is where my trouble started. I made a call yesterday to finally book the seats for four passengers. For some reason, JAL staff keeps telling me there is no award availability on two of my segments (DXB-KHI & KHI-DXB).
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You are in the award/miles game, so these things happen. Dont panic.
First, did you confirm (on Qantas and Emirates sites) the availability you saw several weeks ago to be still there at of the time you called in yesterday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.