Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi All,

Two quick questions. If anyone could jump in on either, it would be much appreciated.

1) Any update if YQ is now being charged on EK flights redeemed via JAL
2) Is it possible to use the distance based award chart to route via DXB (for example: JFK-DXB-LHR)?

Cheers!
Old May 22, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gabrca
Hi All,

Two quick questions. If anyone could jump in on either, it would be much appreciated.

1) Any update if YQ is now being charged on EK flights redeemed via JAL
2) Is it possible to use the distance based award chart to route via DXB (for example: JFK-DXB-LHR)?

Cheers!
I can answer question 2. AFAIK, you can route however you like and include stopovers. You should use the chart that I posted just a few posts above.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Question: I know YQ surcharges are capped for EK booking originating in the US but I need to start in DXB. Do you guys know if JL passes the full YQ surcharge for something like DXB-IAD-DXB? Better yet, has anybody booked something similar and know the taxes/fees? TIA!!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amiras
Question: I know YQ surcharges are capped for EK booking originating in the US but I need to start in DXB. Do you guys know if JL passes the full YQ surcharge for something like DXB-IAD-DXB? Better yet, has anybody booked something similar and know the taxes/fees? TIA!!
I've been wondering the same thing. Tried calling JAL a couple of times to try and get information about it, but have not had much luck.

1st time calling lady would not give me any information regarding estimated charges for taxes, surcharges etc. She said she would have to be booking flight to see that and I don't currently have any JAL miles.

2nd time I called was a bit better. This time I told her I wanted to check availability for some routes. She seemed helpful enough so I tried further. She gave me some availability, mileage estimates and seemed to think the fees were reasonable, around $100, but again no solid answer. Stated she would need to be booking to see actual charges???

So this week I'm working on getting my miles transferred over and hopefully by end of next week I should be able to have an answer.

Just for information the route I was trying to book.

MEL > DXB(small layover) > FCO

So while not originating in DXB, I do have a segment that continues from DXB

I post again once I find any more information out.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
I've been wondering the same thing. Tried calling JAL a couple of times to try and get information about it, but have not had much luck.

1st time calling lady would not give me any information regarding estimated charges for taxes, surcharges etc. She said she would have to be booking flight to see that and I don't currently have any JAL miles.

2nd time I called was a bit better. This time I told her I wanted to check availability for some routes. She seemed helpful enough so I tried further. She gave me some availability, mileage estimates and seemed to think the fees were reasonable, around $100, but again no solid answer. Stated she would need to be booking to see actual charges???

So this week I'm working on getting my miles transferred over and hopefully by end of next week I should be able to have an answer.

Just for information the route I was trying to book.

MEL > DXB(small layover) > FCO

So while not originating in DXB, I do have a segment that continues from DXB

I post again once I find any more information out.
Last week I booked BKK-DXB-MXP (stop)-JFK (stop)-DXB (stop)-BKK for 100,000 JAL miles. All Business class on EK A380.

Waited on hold for 20 minutes with LA call center but had an amazing agent once we got connected.

Taxes and fuel surcharges all together were $119.36. Aka, they did not charge a fuel surcharge.

I would encourage everyone to book these epic awards as soon as possible while they're still available. I hope we're talking about them 5 years from now, but somehow I doubt we will at the current insane values.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Last week I booked BKK-DXB-MXP (stop)-JFK (stop)-DXB (stop)-BKK for 100,000 JAL miles. All Business class on EK A380.

Waited on hold for 20 minutes with LA call center but had an amazing agent once we got connected.

Taxes and fuel surcharges all together were $119.36. Aka, they did not charge a fuel surcharge.

I would encourage everyone to book these epic awards as soon as possible while they're still available. I hope we're talking about them 5 years from now, but somehow I doubt we will at the current insane values.
THANKS! Great to hear a first hand report. I've been reading conflicting accounts and sounds like it is still a great deal. I'd just hate to get my stuff transfered and then have to pay $500 or more in fees!

Awesome trip by the way! Way to maximize those 100k award trips!

Thanks again
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:34 pm

THANKS! Great to hear a first hand report. I've been reading conflicting accounts and sounds like it is still a great deal. I'd just hate to get my stuff transfered and then have to pay $500 or more in fees!

Awesome trip by the way! Way to maximize those 100k award trips!

Thanks again
You're welcome. Transferring my 80,000 Starpoints only took about 3-4 days total as well. Guess I randomly timed it well.

And yeah, this proves that awards originating outside the US are safe from surcharges as well. Unless random certain countries of origination have them, but I kind of doubt it.

Maybe in the past for a time JAL charged fuel surcharges on EK flights and it created some confusion. Who knows.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:16 am
LSL

Programs: SPG Plat
Does anyone know if JFK-MXP(Stopover)-DXB(Stopover)-CPT(Stopover)-DXB-KUL is a valid routing? It totals 19,823 miles, so it should be 155k in First?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by LSL
Does anyone know if JFK-MXP(Stopover)-DXB(Stopover)-CPT(Stopover)-DXB-KUL is a valid routing? It totals 19,823 miles, so it should be 155k in First?
Should be. I did BKK-DXB-PRG-DXB-MCT without any issues.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well today was good. Just got off the phone with a JAL representative and got my flight booked. Thanks for all the help on this forum, it is always very helpful. Here is my experience.

I was booking two F award tickets. My route will be:
MEL > DXB(Stop) > FCO = 9,923 miles
Needed JAL miles 100K per person and taxes of ONLY $72.10 per person! Great value. A few notes

1. The representative was very polite and helpful, although slight difficulty understanding with accent. But wonderful help.

2. I called in several times to check needed mileage, both times I was quoted incorrectly. They were quoting me the new mileage chart which does not take effect until Oct 1. Once I pointed this out they were happy to book the correct milage amount. Saves me 10K miles, so try to make request before Oct 1

3. I have read that when booking a spouse with a different last name they will have you send a copy of your marriage license. This was not the case for me. Not sure if they'll need it in the future, but she did not mention it.

4. I cannot yet see reservation on EK. She said it would take about 24 hours before showing up. I did notice that when searching for award availability on the same dates, there are no available seats now.

Once again thanks for all the help and if anyone has any questions please let me know.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
Wife has Different Name, so EK won't book JAL Award Flight

I'm helping a friend book a honeymoon from NYC to MXP on EK via JAL Mileage Bank. We've found the award space, but when he calls JAL to book, he is told that since his future wife doesn't currently have his last name, the award for her cannot be booked. JAL says it an EK rule. I've told him to call back, and escalate to a manager and talk it out. Any advice from this group?

Thanks, in advance.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DCADavis
I'm helping a friend book a honeymoon from NYC to MXP on EK via JAL Mileage Bank. We've found the award space, but when he calls JAL to book, he is told that since his future wife doesn't currently have his last name, the award for her cannot be booked. JAL says it an EK rule. I've told him to call back, and escalate to a manager and talk it out. Any advice from this group?

Thanks, in advance.
The agent is correct that he cannot book an award for his fiancée but that's because of JMB redemption rules. He needs to look else where to book or have his fiancée book her own award.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/ticket.html
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DCADavis

Thanks, in advance.
I posted about this upthread or a different thread. I can't remember. It's a quite annoying rule. I had already moved points over from SPG and had no idea about this. They wanted a marriage certificate and I'm like "we're getting married 2 days before we leave!! How can we produce that now?!?" They also said that it's an award booking rule since I guess a lot of people scammed them with selling their award bookings.

Eventually, I was able to escalate enough that I got a really nice person that agreed to book if I could show them that we shared a bank account. I immediately went to the only bank I had that was open at 3pm on a Saturday and added him. Then called back and had no issues.

HOWEVER, I gave this advice to another person going through the same and they refused to let him show evidence this way so highly YMMV. Good luck but your friend probably won't be able to book.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
Thanks, JALPak and cdander20 for the quick reply.

Told him to add her to a bank account and be able to verify it quickly. Sadly, he's already made the transfer from SPG.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Well today was good. Just got off the phone with a JAL representative and got my flight booked. Thanks for all the help on this forum, it is always very helpful. Here is my experience.

I was booking two F award tickets. My route will be:
MEL > DXB(Stop) > FCO = 9,923 miles
Needed JAL miles 100K per person and taxes of ONLY $72.10 per person! Great value. A few notes

1. The representative was very polite and helpful, although slight difficulty understanding with accent. But wonderful help.

2. I called in several times to check needed mileage, both times I was quoted incorrectly. They were quoting me the new mileage chart which does not take effect until Oct 1. Once I pointed this out they were happy to book the correct milage amount. Saves me 10K miles, so try to make request before Oct 1

3. I have read that when booking a spouse with a different last name they will have you send a copy of your marriage license. This was not the case for me. Not sure if they'll need it in the future, but she did not mention it.

4. I cannot yet see reservation on EK. She said it would take about 24 hours before showing up. I did notice that when searching for award availability on the same dates, there are no available seats now.

Once again thanks for all the help and if anyone has any questions please let me know.
The new mileage chart seems like hardly a devaluation as most awards stay exactly the same and some even decrease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.