Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
does JAL allow booking of EK awards with segments on other partners?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:24 pm

I've read multiple blogs reference this chart when discussing JAL miles to book Emirates.

http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...b_mile_ar.html

But I also came across this chart in a Google search.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...k/ek_mile.html

Which one is accurate?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've read multiple blogs reference this chart when discussing JAL miles to book Emirates.

http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...b_mile_ar.html

But I also came across this chart in a Google search.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...k/ek_mile.html

Which one is accurate?
The first one is accurate. I am flying DXB to MLE (1892 miles) in business and used 35,000 JMB miles, which matches chart 1.

The second chart you found would have had me at:
Middle East 2 = South Asia (40,000)
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
The first one is accurate. I am flying DXB to MLE (1892 miles) in business and used 35,000 JMB miles, which matches chart 1.

The second chart you found would have had me at:
Middle East 2 = South Asia (40,000)
Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know why the second chart exists?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Does anybody know why the second chart exists?
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-much-cheaper/
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Booking two first class seats from IAD-MLE on Emirates using JAL miles. I can work with the dates for the flights between IAD and DXB (stopover), but JAL is seeing no availability for two seats in F from DXB-MLE. Is there a conceivable way of having JAL add the DXB-MLE segment to the award later?

They are refusing to do so, which puts me in a bind because the additional mileage from DXB to MLE would keep me within the same round trip mileage level (155,000 miles) while booking them as a separate itinerary means another 120,000 miles for me. So....a huge difference.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:01 pm

And...for what it's worth, I'm also being asked to produce a marriage certificate. So that requirement is alive and well.

Booking EK through JAL has been a truly awful process. Damn you Alaska!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
Booking two first class seats from IAD-MLE on Emirates using JAL miles. I can work with the dates for the flights between IAD and DXB (stopover), but JAL is seeing no availability for two seats in F from DXB-MLE. Is there a conceivable way of having JAL add the DXB-MLE segment to the award later?

They are refusing to do so, which puts me in a bind because the additional mileage from DXB to MLE would keep me within the same round trip mileage level (155,000 miles) while booking them as a separate itinerary means another 120,000 miles for me. So....a huge difference.

Any thoughts?
Why not just book business on the short legs? They're only four hours and if you're traveling with your wife, you can sit together on the A/B, J/K pairs. It's a total downgrade, but you would have had the royal experience via the a380 in first class anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
does JAL allow booking of EK awards with segments on other partners?
​​​​​​
Based on what a few different JAL agents have told me, it can not be done.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
And...for what it's worth, I'm also being asked to produce a marriage certificate. So that requirement is alive and well.

Booking EK through JAL has been a truly awful process. Damn you Alaska!
Huh? So it is not a straight forward process to book on EK using JAL miles for someone else? What should I do if I want to book for my parents using my miles? FYI.. my father's first name is my and my mom's last name..

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Mar 12, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Huh? So it is not a straight forward process to book on EK using JAL miles for someone else? What should I do if I want to book for my parents using my miles? FYI.. my father's first name is my and my mom's last name..
You'll need to submit proof (typically a birth certificate in your case).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:55 pm

The JMB program requires you to be related to the award recipient. So in the case of a spouse where the last name is not shared, they may ask for proof. This happened to me as well where I was booking an award for me and my fiancee and they would not let me book the award for her unless we were married - it didn't matter that we would be married when we flew as it was part of a honeymoon. It was a good thing I asked before transferring SPG points to just my own JMB account. Luckily SPG allows you to transfer your points to someone else's account living in the same household. I was able to transfer points from SPG to SPG and then to our individual JMB accounts for separate award redemptions.

Downside is two PNR's and a possible loss of SPG's 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points redeemed. I transferred 30,000 points each - which resulted in 10,000 bonus points total as opposed to 15,000 bonus points if I had transferred the 60,000 points from one account.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
The JMB program requires you to be related to the award recipient. So in the case of a spouse where the last name is not shared, they may ask for proof. This happened to me as well where I was booking an award for me and my fiancee and they would not let me book the award for her unless we were married - it didn't matter that we would be married when we flew as it was part of a honeymoon. It was a good thing I asked before transferring SPG points to just my own JMB account. Luckily SPG allows you to transfer your points to someone else's account living in the same household. I was able to transfer points from SPG to SPG and then to our individual JMB accounts for separate award redemptions.

Downside is two PNR's and a possible loss of SPG's 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points redeemed. I transferred 30,000 points each - which resulted in 10,000 bonus points total as opposed to 15,000 bonus points if I had transferred the 60,000 points from one account.
At what point do the require proof? My parents name are in my passport.. I could show that.. But will they take extra time to verify? Or can it be done instantly when i call to book the EK award..?

Or is there a verification process that can be done in advance like Korean Air?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
You'll need to submit proof (typically a birth certificate in your case).
Will they accept copy of my passport page that shows my parents name?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
At what point do the require proof? My parents name are in my passport.. I could show that.. But will they take extra time to verify? Or can it be done instantly when i call to book the EK award..?

Or is there a verification process that can be done in advance like Korean Air?
They ask you for the relationship when you book. You may be OK since the names are the same (his first name is your last name.) They may understand why it works like that. However, if they do not, they will place a hold on the reservation and give you a few days to fax in the proof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.