Using JAL points on EK

Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
And if you really want to fight, you should really be fighting against the root of the "problem" which is EK who imposes the surcharge on award redemptions.
While I do agree with you partly, but at the end of the day, from a consumer's perspective, it doesn't really matter who is responsible for tacking on YQ, but they end up bearing the brunt.

It's definitely bad on the part of EK to charge such an insane amount.

I ended up booking J tickets on CX for $550 (YQ + tax) per passenger.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:39 am

Hi Does anyone know if JMB allow open jaw reward booking on EK? I am looking for BOS-DXB-JFK. Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Jaguar, how do you find out the amount of EK YQ? I cant seem to find the YQ on ITA, I wonder if there is a way besides calling them. Thanks.

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
While I do agree with you partly, but at the end of the day, from a consumer's perspective, it doesn't really matter who is responsible for tacking on YQ, but they end up bearing the brunt.

It's definitely bad on the part of EK to charge such an insane amount.

I ended up booking J tickets on CX for $550 (YQ + tax) per passenger.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shengwan
Hi Does anyone know if JMB allow open jaw reward booking on EK? I am looking for BOS-DXB-JFK. Thanks.
Originally Posted by shengwan
Jaguar, how do you find out the amount of EK YQ? I cant seem to find the YQ on ITA, I wonder if there is a way besides calling them. Thanks.
Short answer - yes, JAL allows one open jaw per ticket (they call it as "surface sector"). You can read up all their rules here - http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/

Regarding YQ for EK, the only way to find out is to call them. Usually the hold isn't too long and the agents are super nice and helpful.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just wondering if anyone has data point on YQ charged by JAL for SIN-DXB or HKG-DXB in F. Flying EK F A380 is my partner's dream but he isn't based in the US, so we can't use AS miles.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:46 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Just wondering if anyone has data point on YQ charged by JAL for SIN-DXB or HKG-DXB in F. Flying EK F A380 is my partner's dream but he isn't based in the US, so we can't use AS miles.
The same amount as EK charges for the same itinerary.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
The same amount as EK charges for the same itinerary.
Thanks. Interestingly accordingly to ITA, SIN-DXB =~ $700 YQ, while HKG-DXB =~ $200. I guess we'll go with HKG (and hope it doesn't change when I'm ready to redeem 8 months from now!)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:10 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks. Interestingly accordingly to ITA, SIN-DXB =~ $700 YQ, while HKG-DXB =~ $200. I guess we'll go with HKG (and hope it doesn't change when I'm ready to redeem 8 months from now!)
That's because ex-HKG YQ is regulated by HKCAD.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

According to JAL's website, YQ on EK should not exceed US $78.20 from the USA to UAE based on two segments return flights.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...b_mile_ar.html

EMIRATES (EK): U.S. to U.A.E round-trip: maximum US$78.20.

If you have been charged higher than this amount, you should hold JAL responsible.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:42 pm

Are they allowing one-way trips now? it seems to be a change from when i last looked at it:

One-way trips are permitted.
"Point of origin" and "Final returning point" may be different and those cities may be located in different countries.
* Please note that one-way itineraries and itineraries in which the "Point of origin" and "Final returning point" are located in different countries cannot be booked from the JAL website. For such bookings, please contact the appropriate call center.
Itinerary via "Point of origin" is not permitted.
Itinerary via "Country of origin" is not permitted.
Flight sectors where airlines do not have traffic rights are not eligible.
To comply with U.S. transportation rules, for itineraries between continental U.S./Hawaii and Guam via Japan, and itineraries between continental U.S. and Hawaii via Japan without a stopover in Japan, at least one international flight operated by a U.S.-based airline (*) is required.
(*)excluding Japan Airlines codeshare flight operated by a U.S.-based airline.
Due to the transportation restriction rules of U.S., itineraries between "two different Canadian cities" via a U.S. city (stay for less than 12 hours) and/or itineraries between "two different Mexican cities" via a U.S. city (stay for less than 12 hours) are not permitted.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:52 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Edit: please see the following post.

Last edited by armagebedar; Oct 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm Reason: Removed incorrect information
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
They are, but not at 50% of the round-trip cost. It's closer to 75-90%. I don't believe they've published the details. You could call JL and report back for us
it's a distance based chart though? so miles required are calculaed based on distance not zones and percentages aren't applicable?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
They are, but not at 50% of the round-trip cost. It's closer to 75-90%. I don't believe they've published the details. You could call JL and report back for us
So it's not just totalling up the travelled sectors (including surface) and applying the existing chart? That's what would seem the most logical to me based on the information on the page (i.e. there is no separate mention of how many miles will apply to one-way itineraries).
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Sorry, I am mistaken -- it is indeed based upon the actual travel distance. I was looking at some outdated information from when JAL started allowing one-way itineraries.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Can anyone confirm if they have booked US-UAE and what the YQ was? the Jal website says it can't exceed $81 but I don't want to transfer my SPG points without getting some confirmation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.