Using JAL points on EK

Old May 5, 2019, 11:47 pm

What is the rule here if my current booking is mix cabin flight? 1st leg is in Y and 2nd leg is in J
if first leg becomes available, is it free upgrade and additional tax/fees? OR there is some kind of change fee required?

I couldn't find online, thanks!
Old May 6, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by xgeorge1
What is the rule here if my current booking is mix cabin flight? 1st leg is in Y and 2nd leg is in J
if first leg becomes available, is it free upgrade and additional tax/fees? OR there is some kind of change fee required?

I couldn't find online, thanks!
it is a change, so you would need not only the first leg but also the second leg to have J award space for you to even execute the change. Not just that first leg!
changes in taxes will be collected/returned and mileage will stay unchanged.
so, you need availability on all legs of the outbound to process the change!
Old May 18, 2019, 3:55 am

Hi, I'm looking into using JAL miles to book an Emirates first class seat. A lot of you recommend using ExpertFlyer to search for seats. I'm done a few searches there and it works fine. The Pro subscription to ExpertFlyer allows you to search for award/upgrade availability. But their site does not support JAL for award availability search.

I've been doing searches on the JAL web site itself. The experience is painful and I keep entering different dates and nothing seems available. There are seats for economy or business. But I can't get any first class seats between HND and DXB. Anybody else here trying to do first class award availability searches? How are you guys doing this?

ExpertFlyer does support Emirates for award availability. But does it show awards availability for other airlines to upgrade? Anybody know?

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zurich123
Hi, I'm looking into using JAL miles to book an Emirates first class seat. A lot of you recommend using ExpertFlyer to search for seats. I'm done a few searches there and it works fine. The Pro subscription to ExpertFlyer allows you to search for award/upgrade availability. But their site does not support JAL for award availability search.

I've been doing searches on the JAL web site itself. The experience is painful and I keep entering different dates and nothing seems available. There are seats for economy or business. But I can't get any first class seats between HND and DXB. Anybody else here trying to do first class award availability searches? How are you guys doing this?

ExpertFlyer does support Emirates for award availability. But does it show awards availability for other airlines to upgrade? Anybody know?

Thanks.
I have not actually done it myself but I believe that partner availability should match what you see with EK search on Expert Flyer. I would not start with JL search because it is clunky. Start with EF, find space then use JAL search to confirm. On EF you can use the TYO code to search from both HND and NRT. You may also get some value out of Qantas' calendar search for EK space.
zurich123 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I have not actually done it myself but I believe that partner availability should match what you see with EK search on Expert Flyer. I would not start with JL search because it is clunky. Start with EF, find space then use JAL search to confirm. On EF you can use the TYO code to search from both HND and NRT. You may also get some value out of Qantas' calendar search for EK space.
Thank you! I signed up for a free 5 day trial at EF and did this search. It worked quite well. Too bad they are not releasing many seats on the new 777 first class enclosed suites which is what I'm looking for.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:15 pm

Anyway to argue the YQ with JAL?
Multiple blogs and ITA Matrix shows 0 YQ departing from Male or Colombo, yet JAL website shows $250+ fees!
Yikes

Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.