Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Does anyone know if YQ will be charged for a one-way ticket JNB-DXB-SFO in Biz? I have called the JAL 800 number and have been listening to their music for like 30 mins now. Don't know if they are ever going to answer. The ITA fare shows about $500 YQ, but not sure if JAL is charging it for tickets originating in any region, or only for originating in US.

Thanks...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by unicon
Does anyone know if YQ will be charged for a one-way ticket JNB-DXB-SFO in Biz? I have called the JAL 800 number and have been listening to their music for like 30 mins now. Don't know if they are ever going to answer. The ITA fare shows about $500 YQ, but not sure if JAL is charging it for tickets originating in any region, or only for originating in US.

Thanks...
Ok, finally got an answer and it is bad news. One way JNB-DXB-SFO in Biz is 85000 miles and $582 in taxes/fees. Not worth it IMO.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I am rethinking my strategy now and considering flying HKG-DXB-JFK, and 6 months later BOS-DXB-SEZ. This should be ok (especially the JFK/BOS open jaw), and should eliminate the YQ, correct?
I think so. You could check your itinerary on ITA Matrix and get an idea about how much YQ is needed.

I did some search for my upcoming HKG-DXB-GVA (open jaw+stopover) <=> MXP-JFK, and it returns with 0 YQ. I know this is different than a round-trip, but in theory your YQ should depend on point of origin.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yuzheny
I think so. You could check your itinerary on ITA Matrix and get an idea about how much YQ is needed.

I did some search for my upcoming HKG-DXB-GVA (open jaw+stopover) <=> MXP-JFK, and it returns with 0 YQ. I know this is different than a round-trip, but in theory your YQ should depend on point of origin.
Thanks. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get this to price out on one itinerary on ITA so can't see what the YQ would be. Perhaps its time to give JAL a call...

Edit: This won't work because of this rule: "“Point of origin” and “final returning point” may be different provided those cities are in the same country. (China includes Hong Kong and Macau.)"
Per: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/all...-mileage-bank/
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thanks. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get this to price out on one itinerary on ITA so can't see what the YQ would be. Perhaps its time to give JAL a call...

Edit: This won't work because of this rule: "“Point of origin” and “final returning point” may be different provided those cities are in the same country. (China includes Hong Kong and Macau.)"
Per: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/all...-mileage-bank/
I have previously booked YYZ-DXB-DAR-DXB all in EK F using JAL miles, so I don't believe that's correct.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I have previously booked YYZ-DXB-DAR-DXB all in EK F using JAL miles, so I don't believe that's correct.
Thank you! I tried calling this morning but their award systems were down. I will try again shortly and report back on results.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:51 pm

Has anyone successfully been able to get them to honor the old fuel surcharge rates or transfer their points back to SPG?

My fiancee and I transferred over a collective 350k points a few days before the system upgrade. We called in to book flight the day after the system upgrade and they told us partner award availability was not available and to try again in a few weeks. I tried again a few times over the next two or three weeks only to find that once it was back on line, Emirates fuel surcharges were now $1,500 vs. $90 previously. Needless to say, we're pretty upset as we would not have transferred our points over if we were made aware of this change beforehand.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: free agent
quick question about 1 year ticket validity. I could take 1st part, ICN-DXB-BKK this April then taking 2nd part, HKG (OJ from BKK)-DXB-either JFK or IAD on Feb or March 2019. I wonder if I have to wait till March 2018 to get under 1 year or I could just simply pick something now (earliest is late Nov 2018) then change it to new date later?

I assume ICN-DXB (stopover)-BKK (stopover)-HKG (OJ)-DXB-IAD/or JFK is legal?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:26 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by washeelers747
quick question about 1 year ticket validity. I could take 1st part, ICN-DXB-BKK this April then taking 2nd part, HKG (OJ from BKK)-DXB-either JFK or IAD on Feb or March 2019. I wonder if I have to wait till March 2018 to get under 1 year or I could just simply pick something now (earliest is late Nov 2018) then change it to new date later?

I assume ICN-DXB (stopover)-BKK (stopover)-HKG (OJ)-DXB-IAD/or JFK is legal?
Changes of handling procedures due to transformation of Passenger Service System(International Tickets) - JAL Mileage Bank

Award tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of commencement of travel.(Travel must be commenced within 1 year from the ticket issue date.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by JALPak

Changes of handling procedures due to transformation of Passenger Service System(International Tickets) - JAL Mileage Bank

Award tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of commencement of travel.
(Travel must be commenced within 1 year from the ticket issue date.
Thank you for info. Look like I should wait till mid-March to pull trigger to cover April 2018/Feb 2019 travel. So far, JL agents have no issue with find and book EK award spaces?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Is this old / not relevant or another major devaluation: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...k/ek_mile.html

EDIT: NVM - disregard
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:33 pm

I see mixed info on ability to combine EK and JL flights on single award reservation. So, I can select JL award flights along with EK ones when I decide to book an award trip?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I see mixed info on ability to combine EK and JL flights on single award reservation. So, I can select JL award flights along with EK ones when I decide to book an award trip?
See JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets pages.
JAL Mileage Bank - JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets

One award ticket is valid for travel on one of the following partner airlines
Maybe . lost in translation.
This award is applied for using only ONE airline.

So, you can't combine EK and JL in a single award.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
FWIW, confusion comes from here:

"Additionally, even though JAL partners with both oneworld carriers and Emirates, you cannot mix and match Emirates with other oneworld airlines, or other partner airlines. This is partly because Japan Airlines has a separate award chart for oneworld redemptions. You can, however, include Japan Airlines in the same itinerary with Emirates."

How to Book Emirates First Class with Japan Airlines (JAL) Miles - Point Me to the Plane
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by dparkinson
FWIW, confusion comes from here:

"Additionally, even though JAL partners with both oneworld carriers and Emirates, you cannot mix and match Emirates with other oneworld airlines, or other partner airlines. This is partly because Japan Airlines has a separate award chart for oneworld redemptions. You can, however, include Japan Airlines in the same itinerary with Emirates."

How to Book Emirates First Class with Japan Airlines (JAL) Miles - Point Me to the Plane
Hum. Absolutely wrong info.
At least a Japanese FAQ clearly answers this.

JAL - ?????????JAL?????JMB???????????????AA????????????? ?????

Q. Can I combine an outbound JAL and an inboud AA ?

A. Oneworld award permits. However, for a partner airlines that doesn'tjoin oneworld, round trip itinerary has to be the same airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.