Using JAL points on EK

Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Can you point me in the right direction for reading/updates about the award chart changes?

Also, can anyone confirm if I book a one way award in Emirates First class, originating in Europe (MXP), what the taxes and fees will be? My experience on other carriers, is that these fees and taxes are much higher when originating in Europe.
Here is the chart--including before and after prices:

https://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile...b_mile_ar.html

As far as the taxes from Milan--if someone here cannot help--should be able to call JAL to book a dummy award to get an idea of taxes.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall

As far as the taxes from Milan--if someone here cannot help--should be able to call JAL to book a dummy award to get an idea of taxes.
Good stuff. Looks like I dont have to worry about the taxes and fees, because it says max taxes is around 50 bucks.

New question...According to that chart and the JAL award mileage distance based calculator, the one way cost for the NYC-MXP route is only 45,000 for a First Class Redemption? Is that right!? Calculator says it's 4007 miles, which on that chart is 90k RT or 45 one way?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:30 pm

Good stuff. Looks like I dont have to worry about the taxes and fees, because it says max taxes is around 50 bucks.

New question...According to that chart and the JAL award mileage distance based calculator, the one way cost for the NYC-MXP route is only 45,000 for a First Class Redemption? Is that right!? Calculator says it's 4007 miles, which on that chart is 90k RT or 45 one way?
JAL is a distance-based program (total flown miles). OW or RT doesn't matter.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
And that is NOT what it says. It says "EMIRATES (EK): JAPAN to U.A.E round-trip: maximum US$54.76". That is not the route you are looking at.

To give you an idea--My taxes (one way) for JFK-MXP-DXB-DOH (stopovers in MXP and DXB) in F were about $70US.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

Total trip distance (mile) = 4007 miles for one way, not 4007 miles for return!
so, 90k one way.
return Total trip distance (mile) = 8014 miles, 100k miles.

JAL award chart is lucrative for return trips
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Qantas might have phantom availability. What does the EK site say?
Lastly, yes, you could call back again and try, but if you get the same answer, know that is the situation (i.e. no availability to JAL)
Strangely enough, I called back and was able to switch the dates?? Must have a rep that was having a bad day. Just glad I could get it done though!!

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:34 am

so, 90k one way.

Everything I have seen says you can book a one way for half the cost of the round trip?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:19 am

Everything I have seen says you can book a one way for half the cost of the round trip?
No. Not partner awards.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
so, 90k one way.

The chart is mileage based. It's not about one-way vs roundtrip. The more miles you travel, the better the redemption.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is true. But their mileage chart shows that for a trip of 4001-6000 miles will cost 90k miles in F. A trip from MXP to NYC is 4007 for a one way and 8014miles for a RT and cost 100k. Which is a steal given that it cost 45K for one way.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Not half the cost of a round rip.
Please study the chart Mark!

4007 miles for one way, so, 90k miles one way.
8014 miles for return, so 100k miles return.
Just 10k miles difference between one way and return.
got it?

Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:12 am

Does anyone know if JAL allows stopovers on a one way ticket?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Mikkey12601
Does anyone know if JAL allows stopovers on a one way ticket?
Yes. So long as it is all on EK metal. (Answered about 6 posts before yours)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:03 am

Yes. So long as it is all on EK metal. (Answered about 6 posts before yours)
Probably would be good for a mod to put a sticky note (or wiki or whatever they call it here) on this thread noting the stopover situation, the fact that it's not about one way or return, but distance flown, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Probably would be good for a mod to put a sticky note (or wiki or whatever they call it here) on this thread noting the stopover situation, the fact that it's not about one way or return, but distance flown, etc.
It doesn't require a mod to make a wiki. You just have to have enough posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.