JAL J class / business refunds

Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

JAL J class / business refunds

Hi,
Can someone confirm for me if Japaan Airlines J class is the same as business class?

I am currently booking a flight from Tokyo to Shanghai return and want to know if I can cancel before depature and get a full refund? From reading their "ticket refund and cancellation charges" here http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/rates/rule/cancel.html it seems that there is no charge for cancelling on J class (my ticket says normal business class, which I assume is the same thing). It does not mention the time to take to refund the ticket.

Can anyone confirm for me that there should be no problems in obtaining this ticket and then cancelling it and getting a refund? How long should it take if worst came to the worst?

Many thanks for the help
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:55 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The page you linked is domestic fares not international ones. Every ticket is different and you have to refer to your specific fare rules to know if it is fully refundable or not.

Are you buying the ticket with the intention to cancel or just want to know in case you have to cancel
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I didnt realise that the link i provided was for domestic fares

I have done a little more searching, but I didnt find the same page for international flights. Just this one, which states that:

Changes and cancellations after the purchase is made
Once the purchase complete page displays, the purchase request is complete.
Changes to a booking may not be permitted after the purchase request is complete as per fare regulations. If the fare regulations permit a change, charges may apply and/or the new price may be different.
Cancellations after purchase are subject to a cancellation or refund charge. Changes and cancellations cannot be made online. Contact us for further assistance.
Its a bit vauge. It could mean a lot of messing around to get a refund.

To answear your question, yes I do intend to cancel it. Its a strange situation, but I am applying for a Chinese visa and they require in and out flights booked. As I will be travelling overland and have not yet fixed dates, I intended on booking a refundable flight with any airline which flies from a neighbouring country and later cancel it, once my visa is issued.

Id be very greatful for any advice on the matter.

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:04 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Just go through the reservation page and it will tell you the cancellation charge. But I would strongly advise against this as this could be considered as fraud. Also per the condition of carriage, JAL has the right to refuse the refund

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/carriage/index_c012.html

JAL may refuse a refund for a Ticket which a Passenger presents to JAL or to government officials of a country as evidence of his/her intention to depart therefrom, unless the Passenger establishes to JAL's satisfaction that he/she has permission to remain in the country or that he/she will depart therefrom by other Carrier or other transportation service.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:40 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
If you want to make sure, you had better call JAL reservation since there are so many kinds of fare.
They can easily identify your fare basis and cancellation policy.
Our guess does not help you much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.