Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing - JL (and ANA) ground 787s

Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing - JL (and ANA) ground 787s

Old Jan 15, 13, 6:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wichita
Posts: 596
Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing

This time in Japan, pax evacuated via slides. Smoke in cabin.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038642/dr...rgency-landing

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 13 at 10:37 pm Reason: retitle thread / maintain OP title
KansasMike is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:09 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Posts: 551
Originally Posted by KansasMike View Post
This time in Japan, pax evacuated via slides. Smoke in cabin.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038642/dr...rgency-landing
I'm sure glad Jeff has been pushing the 787 as the plane that will save the company. I guess he is now down to the network.
FlyingNut724 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:19 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,481
Yeah I don't think I am gonna go out of my way to fly on one of these birds until they figure out what is going on. I'll stick with the 747/767/777 for now. Hope these teething problems get sorted out soon.
flyertalker00398284 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR (sometimes CLE, SFO, BOS, LAX, SEA)
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 5,819
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724 View Post
I'm sure glad Jeff has been pushing the 787 as the plane that will save the company. I guess he is now down to the network.
Who gets to choose whether the IFE starts with the "new Chicago operations center" video or the "787" video?
mherdeg is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
787 just made emergency landing

Watching CNN INT & they report a JAL 787 just made an emergency landing in Japan. Sure is a game changer. If anyone has more info???? Wonder when they will finally ground these little toys
chinatraderjmr is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SFO South Bay
Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 3,042
On my last flight from MCO to SFO, several of the people sitting near me made rather loud comments about safety concerns when the 787 video was playing. Person behind me said "I will not step foot on that plane until it stops catching fire". Somewhat in jest, but still very interesting how bad the 787 reputation is becoming. But I do recall the 777 having similar birthing pains.
blueman2 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
The reporter on CNN INT (different feed then what's showing in the US) just mentioned he was in a UA 787 last week that experienced some electrical problems but the pilot continued on to ??? And called them "teething problems"
chinatraderjmr is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Posts: 1,476
This was the last straw for me...I'm normally not one to cave in to the fear mongering, but I just don't feel the appeal of flying this plane right now...just gave up a confirmed upgraded upcoming segment with the 787 to a 777...
eagle92 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,104
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Wonder when they will finally ground these little toys
New aircraft models commonly have these sorts of technical problems on introduction.

Remember the A380 wing cracks?

Remember the A380 Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine problems?

No need for a media-inflamed mass freak out yet.
bse118 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Posts: 2,596
Just got off with the 1K line and the very nice agent moved my LAX-IAH (on the 787)-JFK to the non-stop JFK-LAX with no change fee or anything. Booked it in C and I'm in C on the PS flight. She was totally cool as I explained how I went out of my way to book the 787 in the first place. No way I'm getting on that machine. Probably still safer than Colgan tho'
BigPoppaCO is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 7:00 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Posts: 6,206
Originally Posted by eagle92 View Post
This was the last straw for me...I'm normally not one to cave in to the fear mongering, but I just don't feel the appeal of flying this plane right now...just gave up a confirmed upgraded upcoming segment with the 787 to a 777...
No sense of adventure, exiting via the slide would be cool!

And it would be better if they hand out a six pack to carry so we can be just like that FA from a couple years ago

Seriously, I would avoid flying it because the chance of it being grounded in the next 2 weeks is quite high. Other than that, once they get the initial issues resolved I expect this to be a great bird.

One year from now you will be delighted UA has these.
exwannabe is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 7:03 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Posts: 1,476
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
Just got off with the 1K line and the very nice agent moved my LAX-IAH (on the 787)-JFK to the non-stop JFK-LAX with no change fee or anything. Booked it in C and I'm in C on the PS flight. She was totally cool as I explained how I went out of my way to book the 787 in the first place. No way I'm getting on that machine. Probably still safer than Colgan tho'
I sent a tweet to @United as soon as the news broke on this latest incident and within 10 minutes they had responded and switched me from IAH-LAX-HNL (I had done that to experience the 787 on the IAH-LAX segment) to the IAH-HNL nonstop...now THAT is customer service folks. Good Stuff @United ^^^
eagle92 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 7:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by eagle92 View Post
This was the last straw for me...I'm normally not one to cave in to the fear mongering, but I just don't feel the appeal of flying this plane right now...just gave up a confirmed upgraded upcoming segment with the 787 to a 777...
Did you mean you called and they let you switch from a 787 to 777 on your up coming segment?

EDIT: never mind!
lax2010 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 7:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Posts: 1,476
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
No sense of adventure, exiting via the slide would be cool!

And it would be better if they hand out a six pack to carry so we can be just like that FA from a couple years ago

Seriously, I would avoid flying it because the chance of it being grounded in the next 2 weeks is quite high. Other than that, once they get the initial issues resolved I expect this to be a great bird.

One year from now you will be delighted UA has these.
Agreed...it pained me to give up a confirmed upgrade on the new bird, but with my trip in the next two weeks and it being the first segment of a connecting flight I have to make I just couldn't chance it anymore.
eagle92 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 13, 7:05 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Posts: 6,206
ANA just grounded their fleet.
exwannabe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread