Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL SS7 roll out schedule and official seat map

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
You also find the most updated schedule on: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/rosen/

NRT-LHR
SS7 will be in operation on odd-numbered dates in January 2013 starting from the 9th and even-numbered dates in February 2013. Daily SS7 service is scheduled to start on February 26, 2013. This route will be transferred to HND-LHR on March 30 2014 and will continue to be operated with SS7.

HND-LHR
From March 30 2014.

NRT-JFK
SS7 will be rolled out to NRT-JFK route from May 1 2013, initially on alternate days only (according to the official announcement post on the website). This will turn into daily service from May 21 2013.

NRT-CDG
JAL will roll out SS7 to NRT-CDG route from Jul 8 2013, initially on alternate days only until Aug 15 2013 when this will become a daily service. SS7 service will end when day-time HND-CDG operated by SS7 starts on March 30 2014.

HND-CDG
From March 30 2014.

NRT-LAX
From November 10 2013

NRT-ORD
From January 16 2014. Initially on alternate days only. This will turn into daily service from Feb 20 2014.

NRT-FRA
From Oct 25, 2015 this will be replaced by SS9 service.
From Mar 29 2015, SS7 daily service will return.
From April 5 2014. Initially on alternate days only. This will turn into daily service from May 17 2014. This will be replaced by SS8 from Dec 1 2014

NRT-CGK
From Oct 25 2015, SS7 service will return.
From June 14, 2014. This will be replaced by 6x SS9 1x SS8 service from July 1 2015

HND-SFO
From December 1, 2014.

NRT-SYD
From Oct 25 (26 for JL772), SS7 service will return.
From December 1, 2014 till Mar 28 2015. This will be replaced by daily 777-200ER.
Print Wikipost

JAL SS7 roll out schedule and official seat map

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:03 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JALPak
The seat map has been updated to clearly mark which 8 seats won't be sold on international flights
So they're not blocking entire rows, but selected seats within those rows -- meaning some of those unblocked seats will have 31" of pitch, but you just won't have anyone beside you...?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by armagebedar
So they're not blocking entire rows, but selected seats within those rows -- meaning some of those unblocked seats will have 31" of pitch, but you just won't have anyone beside you...?
I'm guessing the blocked seats are narrower. One of the selling points of new Y is that the seats are 2cm wider than before. But in the last few rows, the cabin tapers and becomes narrower, so maybe it wasn't possible to have the greater width in all seats.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I'm guessing the blocked seats are narrower. One of the selling points of new Y is that the seats are 2cm wider than before. But in the last few rows, the cabin tapers and becomes narrower, so maybe it wasn't possible to have the greater width in all seats.
Actually according to JAL it's because of narrower seat pitch
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:36 pm

Actually according to JAL it's because of narrower seat pitch
Ah, okay -- seat width, then. I thought you meant the distance between rows was narrower than acceptable. If it's that the seats are too narrow, that makes sense.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Ah, okay -- seat width, then. I thought you meant the distance between rows was narrower than acceptable. If it's that the seats are too narrow, that makes sense.
I meant narrower seat pitch, i.e. distance between seats
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
JALPak, what was the exact wording of JAL's reply to you? Is it possible that they used clumsy English referring to "pitch" when they really meant width? Seems strange that they would only block one seat of a row if the objective is to keep passengers out of seats with narrower pitch.

Anyway, it seems to me that smart passengers could take advantage of these blocked seats. For example, someone with a lap child could book 56H and then use the blocked seat for the child (without buying an extra ticket)... Would JL view this as an abuse of the fare rules? Would FAs tell the parent not to let the child sit there?

Edited to add: If it's a seat pitch issue, wouldn't it have been easier for JL just to remove seats 56ACHK (and probably 55C and H) and spread out the rows more so that every row gets the wider pitch? That way they would only have to remove 6 seats instead blocking 8 seats as they are currently doing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

JALPak, what was the exact wording of JAL's reply to you? Is it possible that they used clumsy English referring to "pitch" when they really meant width? Seems strange that they would only block one seat of a row if the objective is to keep passengers out of seats with narrower pitch.

Anyway, it seems to me that smart passengers could take advantage of these blocked seats. For example, someone with a lap child could book 56H and then use the blocked seat for the child (without buying an extra ticket)... Would JL view this as an abuse of the fare rules? Would FAs tell the parent not to let the child sit there?

Edited to add: If it's a seat pitch issue, wouldn't it have been easier for JL just to remove seats 56ACHK (and probably 55C and H) and spread out the rows more so that every row gets the wider pitch? That way they would only have to remove 6 seats instead blocking 8 seats as they are currently doing.
Sorry, I cannot copy their reply here as that's what JAL requested when I contacted them via the web form. But they specifically mentioned 31 inches seat pitch instead of the advertised 33-34 inches so there's no confusion there. They can sell those seats on domestic flights I guess
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:44 am
Original Poster

NRT-LHR will have daily SKY SUITE 777 service from Feb 26 2013
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

JAL will roll out NEO seats and JAL Suite on FRA route from April 5 2013. Initially it will be on odd numbered dates only and the service will turns daily from May 17 2013.

This probably means JFK will get SS7 around those dates.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:30 pm

If you look at JAL's upgrade discount promotion (Japanese only), you'll notice Y->C upgrades on only LAX and ORD are limited to the first half of FY2013, possibly meaning they will get the new configuration later this year.

Last edited by armagebedar; Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

If you look at JAL's upgrade discount promotion (Japanese only), you'll notice Y->C upgrades on only LAX and ORD are limited to the first half of FY2013, possibly meaning they will get the new configuration later this year.
ALL 773 routes will get it this year since they all will be retrofitted by 2014

Yes, that's why I said in another thread that probably no chance of LAX and ORD getting daily SS7 before Sep
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
ALL 773 routes will get it this year since they all will be retrofitted by 2014

Yes, that's why I said in another thread that probably no chance of LAX and ORD getting daily SS7 before Sep
I'm looking to book a couple of business class seats for first week of Jan 2014 NRT-LAX; I'm presuming that means by end of the year, most, if not all, the aircraft will be in that configuration then.

One can hope...

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Jan 30, 2013 at 1:55 am
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm looking to book a couple of business class seats for first week of Jan 2014 NRT-LAX; I'm presuming that means by end of the year, most, if not all, the aircraft will be in that configuration then.

One can hope...
That is the plan
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

JAL latest CM featuring actor Abe Hiroshi confirms JFK is the next route to get SS7 this spring
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Booked on NRT-ORD for January 2014. Any chance to get the new seats for that flight?

Edit: nevermind, I see that I'm supposed to get the new seats! Hopefully no delays in the retrofitting schedule...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.