Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to lock in award flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Best way to lock in award flights

Hello everyone,

First time using JAL for a round trip on Emirates metal and looking at booking for July 2018. Looking to do a round trip with the return two weeks after the outbound. As soon as the booking window opens for the outbound flight can I book that flight as a one-way, and then simply add the return when the window opens up and pay the mileage difference? Will this trigger a change fee?

I am concerned that if I wait for the return flight to be within the booking window that the outbound may no longer be available for an award ticket. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cascade; Aug 16, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cascade
Hello everyone,

First time using JAL for a round trip and looking at booking for July 2018. Looking to do a round trip with the return two weeks after the outbound. As soon as the booking window opens for the outbound flight can I book that flight as a one-way, and then simply add the return when the window opens up and pay the mileage difference? Will this trigger a change fee?

I am concerned that if I wait for the return flight to be within the booking window that the outbound may no longer be available for an award ticket. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Why not just book as 2 one-ways?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Why not just book as 2 one-ways?
Costs significantly more miles to do it that way.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Costs significantly more miles to do it that way.
A one way cost 50% of the miles of a return. Unless you are flying with the campaign pricing,though the 2018 campaign offers are not available yet, so for summer 2018 it is currently the same price.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I suppose I should have mentioned this is on Emirates metal. Different chart.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That would be relevant info...

There is a whole thread about using JAL miles for EK flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1443945-using-jal-points-ek.html
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:41 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I suppose I should have mentioned this is on Emirates metal. Different chart.
You may want to check http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...points-ek.html
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Could not find the answer to my specific question through a search prior to posting this, any guidance would be appreciated
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
One ways for half price of return only applies to JAL flights (zone-based)
Partner flights use a partner award chart, with cumulative total mileage of all legs, including surface sectors (if you open-jaw). the more the total mileage, the cheaper cost per mile it gets.

https://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jalmile/chart/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.