Experience on JAL 787 BOS-NRT?

Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
I would like to see a good argument for why anyone should use the JL program instead of the AA program.
Three words: JAL Global Club.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Three words: JAL Global Club.
Not available for people who live outside Japan, right? Or is it?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
You have confused JGC with SFC
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:39 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
It is, unlike NH's SFC. I believe JL deducts 5,000 miles as a fee for non-Japan members.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: JAL Sapphire, AA Platinum, USAir Platinum
Jal 787 bos-nrt?

Looking forward to trying out the new Dreamliner. Have flown JFK-NRT route many times. Has anyone flown this route in Executive class - how do the amenities compare? (do they provide loungewear as on JFK-NRT?)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AerealA
Looking forward to trying out the new Dreamliner. Have flown JFK-NRT route many times. Has anyone flown this route in Executive class - how do the amenities compare? (do they provide loungewear as on JFK-NRT?)
Welcome to JAL Forum and FT, AerealA!

The amenities provided are the same. The cardigan is also available for rent during the BOS flight.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

update

Greetings from the main F lounge in T-2 (decent place, but apart from the privacy, the Cabin in HK blows it away).

I flew in from PVG on 876 yesterday. While everything went smoothly, both the lounge (expected) and the food (slightly unexpected) were abominable. If I had to do that again, I'd probably go with NH or MU... but, maybe JL has upped its game to/from SHA because that's where the O&D demand is these days.

I have nothing to report on the hotel voucher front because I decided to simply prepay for a room on Expedia.

The hotel (Hilton) was nice enough, though I'm curious if there is a standout among the crowd (they are all basically the same price, but you pay a slight premium if you want to be in Narita City).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
Greetings from the main F lounge in T-2 (decent place, but apart from the privacy, the Cabin in HK blows it away).

I flew in from PVG on 876 yesterday. While everything went smoothly, both the lounge (expected) and the food (slightly unexpected) were abominable. If I had to do that again, I'd probably go with NH or MU... but, maybe JL has upped its game to/from SHA because that's where the O&D demand is these days.

I have nothing to report on the hotel voucher front because I decided to simply prepay for a room on Expedia.

The hotel (Hilton) was nice enough, though I'm curious if there is a standout among the crowd (they are all basically the same price, but you pay a slight premium if you want to be in Narita City).
Why would you choose MU over JL? Was your JL meal that much worse than an average MU meal?

Also, there's not necessarily a premium to stay in Narita city- of course, it might depend on when you make the booking, but I found a hotel (the Narita U-City Hotel) in its downtown for around US$52, with a free airport shuttle to boot.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Why would you choose MU over JL?
Several years ago, (somewhat by accident) I got tight with the Japanese MU FAs who were based in Shanghai, and they were all awesome ladies. China-Japan is (maybe the only) one area in which MU shines. What's more, it wouldn't be difficult to put the food I experienced on yesterday's flight to shame.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Several years ago, (somewhat by accident) I got tight with the Japanese MU FAs who were based in Shanghai, and they were all awesome ladies. China-Japan is (maybe the only) one area in which MU shines. What's more, it wouldn't be difficult to put the food I experienced on yesterday's flight to shame.
They have Japanese FA's? Since when?

Last time I flew MU from Japan to China was in 2006, and the crew was all Chinese back then (on a crap plane with inedible food and crap service).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JALPak
Unfortunately you and your friend are the minority as others have expressed their opinions on the other thread and I wouldn't repeat the arguments here. A quick check on JAL website actually shows the direct and non-direct option on JAL actually carries the same or very similar price tag depending on your transit point. So based on your way of calculating compensation for a 3+ hours delay (not that I am saying I agree with it), JAL is doing the right thing for providing nothing to your friend. If you want to continue this discussion, I would suggest we do so in the other thread so we don't hijack this thread.

There's something called common sense. You don't see car manufacturers put "expect recalls on this newly redesigned models" nor Microsoft puts "expect bugs in this newly released Windows 8" on their marketing materials. Customers who bought these may or may not know it is new either but it is up to the buyers to do their own research.

In other words, you have no ideas what happened other than the fact that he wasn't able to get back into the lounge when he walked back because the doors were closed. Pretty premature to say staffs were unhelpful base on just that IMHO.

You know what, JL005 was cancelled yesterday due to aircraft maintenance. You can add that to your data point. http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/cms/conten...ws_002970.html
Some folks just like to b..tch and complain. Anyone who travels much and certainly pays the cited 10K fair knows delays at any fare go with the territory.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:53 am

Mission complete (arrived in Boston). I really liked the airplane itself, and the seats weren't horrible (just not as good as CX, KE, OZ). The food was nice, and the service was great. More than anything, I applaud JAL for actually taking the plunge on the BOS route; as a Boston native, I feel obligated to support them for this reason alone (AA actually printed timetables with BOS-NRT in 1998, but canceled this plan at the last minute).

ETA a few more notes about the flight:

1) Y looked pretty full, but I noted that the forward bulkhead seats looked quite tolerable; in fact, I'm contemplating flying Y on the way back
2) Per seatguru, I selected 7A, and JL blocked 7C for me. This was a really nice seat; it's just a true shame those things aren't flat
3) They closed the curtains on both ends of the rear business cabin, which meant the necessity of crossing through curtains in order to reach the lav
4) The flight seemed to deliberately avoid entering Canadian airspace (headed towards Victory, right turn, left turn toward Bellingham, then east along the border all the way over to Boston)
5) No line at immigration, which was nice, but slow baggage handling
6) The Silver Line is free, stops right in front of the exit, and happens to go directly to my dad's house (Seaport)... maybe this only helps out me, but I was happy

Last edited by moondog; Dec 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Has anyone flown this route recently? What type of business class seats are they using?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Has anyone flown this route recently? What type of business class seats are they using?
NEO seats
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
1) Y looked pretty full, but I noted that the forward bulkhead seats looked quite tolerable; in fact, I'm contemplating flying Y on the way back
Those forward bulkhead seats are, indeed, quite tolerable. Usually they are held for airport assignment when checking in and cannot be reserved in advance. I have had no problem asking for and getting them at the airport as both OneWorld Sapphire and Emerald.

4) The flight seemed to deliberately avoid entering Canadian airspace (headed towards Victory, right turn, left turn toward Bellingham, then east along the border all the way over to Boston)
Probably just the routing based on winds on that day. I have flown these flights a number of times and have flown through Canadian airspace.

6) The Silver Line is free, stops right in front of the exit, and happens to go directly to my dad's house (Seaport)... maybe this only helps out me, but I was happy
Silver Line also connects to the Red Line, which goes directly to downtown Boston as well as Cambridge (not to mention Braintree and Quincy). Also, easy connections to Green Line for points west such as Boston College, Brookline, Newton, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.