Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racist meal service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When room temp is above 25 or 26 i forget...studies have shown that work speed and work quality drops because someone is fighting the hot weather instead of working efficiently...

JAL's airplane temp of 28c is just plain hot! last year doing ITM-HND runs...I was sweating at the airport sweating on the plane (still not dry after 1 hr).....

28c is just not a realistic setting...same thing with doing 18c in winter...it's not realistic
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
In 9 years of flying JL (as an obvious foreigner) I've never encountered racism. I also find it incredibly hard to believe that they only cater enough meals for 70% to 80% of passengers in business class, as one person here said. In all my business class flights, I've never seen anyone not get ANY main course. My guess is there was a catering error in the case of the person who did not receive a meal.

Anyway, a similar thing to the OP's experience happened to me once on ANA, where I was one of the first passengers to order, and only after taking everyone else's order did the FA come to me to tell me they ran out of my choice. I wasn't pleased, but I just assumed it was because I had no status at the time and ANA was prioritizing its own elites. Racism never entered my mind as a possibility.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
In 9 years of flying JL (as an obvious foreigner) I've never encountered racism. I also find it incredibly hard to believe that they only cater enough meals for 70% to 80% of passengers in business class, as one person here said. In all my business class flights, I've never seen anyone not get ANY main course. My guess is there was a catering error in the case of the person who did not receive a meal.
Especially on regional day time flight like HND-HKG. I don't think they would expect 20% of the passengers choose not to have meal service. And starting meal service couple hours after SFO departure doesn't sound right to me either. They usually start service right the way after the seatbelt sign has turned off.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Because majority of the passengers are Japanese and they prefer warmer cabin and more recently due to government guidelines.

Just to add KIXman is not a Japanese just JMB elite
if you know the physics of a plane you'd know that the temperature bears no effect to how much energy is required to heat up a plane.

btw, ANA keeps their cabin nice and cool. and serves v decent food. like rice with crab meat, not some brown liquid a la ex NRT JAL.

and, boeing lied. you take cold air from outside and mix with the hot air.

Last edited by kaka; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:55 am

Guys, let's try to stay more on topic, shall we? Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Guys, let's try to stay more on topic, shall we? Thank you!
im very much being on topic. it's you who steered off.
i did not start talking about boeing engines sucking in cold air and airconditioning it cold.
what i talked about was JL is totally being racist that they've put on a cute FA just for my service who fed me during meals and refilled my drinks before the glass was empty, even during my overnight transit. I was totally WOWed by JL's service and they are absolutely the best for treating Canadians.

HOWEVER, having a warm cabin is definately not right.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thank you for numerous alerts about the happenings in this thread. Please remember to stay on topic and only comment on the content of a post, not the member posting.

Thank you and regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT

Anyway, a similar thing to the OP's experience happened to me once on ANA, where I was one of the first passengers to order, and only after taking everyone else's order did the FA come to me to tell me they ran out of my choice. I wasn't pleased, but I just assumed it was because I had no status at the time and ANA was prioritizing its own elites. Racism never entered my mind as a possibility.
Yeah, it's highly unlikely only catering to to even 80% is true in J or even Y. We know how inaccurate this sorts of information is from crews. It's true that errors can happen, but as policy, i doubt.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
This thread reminds me of something that happened on a NW flight many years ago. I was in business class in the upper deck of a 747-200 NRT-SFO. The FA, while taking meal orders, skipped the person sitting next to me. Only after taking everyone else's order did she come back to the woman next to me and take her order. I was shocked at such an obvious snub and actually became a bit angry on behalf of the woman next to me! I started speculating on why the FA would treat her so badly, was it sexism, etc.

Only long after the flight did it occur to me that my seatmate was probably a non-rev.

My point is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about racism or any other sinister reasons... there could be a perfectly sensible explanation (such as prioritizing status pax, etc.).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:58 pm

This thread reminds me of something that happened on a NW flight many years ago. I was in business class in the upper deck of a 747-200 NRT-SFO. The FA, while taking meal orders, skipped the person sitting next to me. Only after taking everyone else's order did she come back to the woman next to me and take her order. I was shocked at such an obvious snub and actually became a bit angry on behalf of the woman next to me! I started speculating on why the FA would treat her so badly, was it sexism, etc.

Only long after the flight did it occur to me that my seatmate was probably a non-rev.

My point is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about racism or any other sinister reasons... there could be a perfectly sensible explanation (such as prioritizing status pax, etc.).
^^

Op-up can also be an explanation too
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thank you for numerous alerts about the happenings in this thread. Please remember to stay on topic and only comment on the content of a post, not the member posting.

Thank you and regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Can we change the title of this thread to something more PC or something than the current title is a little strongly worded.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by KIXman
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cabin temperature of 28 deg is def not a comfortable temperature, otherwise government wouldn't be asking Japanese to sacrifice and set their ac's to a higher temp. Wouldn't setting it that high also mean they're burning more fuel to heat up the air, in other words less eco?
Agree Kix. When outside is -50C as is at cruising altitude, bringing upto 28C is less "eco" than say 23C.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
FA: "What would you like to eat"
Pax: "I must have the Japanese meal"
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by siliconflyer
Agree Kix. When outside is -50C as is at cruising altitude, bringing upto 28C is less "eco" than say 23C.
Yep. That`s not racist but rather discrimination against those that are hot! It`s the classic you can`t cool yourself down but it`s easy to get warm with blankets etc.

Tak - what do you think?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:19 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by Simmo
Yep. That`s not racist but rather discrimination against those that are hot! It`s the classic you can`t cool yourself down but it`s easy to get warm with blankets etc.

Tak - what do you think?
When I took United, I always brought something to make me warm.
I felt it was too cold.
I would say most Japanese prefer warmer temp in the air.
Therefore, JAL set up the temp for Japanese who are the majority passengers .
I feel sorry for non Japanese who prefer the colder temp.

The temp in the air is not related to eco/energy.
In my opinion, It is strictly the preference by Japanese .

The office temp is the different story.
There was the law/guidance that office temp should be between 17C and 28C.
After the energy crisis by the Tsunami, the government requested that temp shall be 28C (highest temp by the guidance) to save energy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.