Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yes, OWE.
you sure this applies to the entire row 5?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

you sure this applies to the entire row 5?
The quest for was 5A, or did I misread that?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The quest for was 5A, or did I misread that?
he was asking “What JL/OW status is needed to select a seat in row 5 on 77W in advance?”
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

he was asking “What JL/OW status is needed to select a seat in row 5 on 77W in advance?”
My over interpretation indeed.. bad me.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:53 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
My over interpretation indeed.. bad me.
So what's the verdict, window seats only available to OWE? I am only Crystal at the moment and I cannot see row 5 available on my upcoming flight. Maybe Sapphires can see the aisle/middle seats?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
So what's the verdict, window seats only available to OWE? I am only Crystal at the moment and I cannot see row 5 available on my upcoming flight. Maybe Sapphires can see the aisle/middle seats?
I am seeing all seats in row 5 are booked/blocked (cannot differentiate them) both ways of my upcoming (a few months away) round trip as an OWS through AA. I am not sure whether OW status is the only factor for row 5 availability though. If the carrier wants to they can use booking class and FFP as additional factors, I believe.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kentauta
I am seeing all seats in row 5 are booked/blocked (cannot differentiate them) both ways of my upcoming (a few months away) round trip as an OWS through AA. I am not sure whether OW status is the only factor for row 5 availability though. If the carrier wants to they can use booking class and FFP as additional factors, I believe.
JAL has quite the limitation on award bookings in terms of seat reservations, so that is a point I forgot to raise. Are you guys flying cash or award flights?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a data point. My X fare Sky suite 777 flight is now less than 72hrs prior to departure and now I can finally see available seats in row 5. I’m OWS and they all appeared unavailable before.
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:42 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
JAL has quite the limitation on award bookings in terms of seat reservations, so that is a point I forgot to raise. Are you guys flying cash or award flights?
Cash ticket. I guess I’ll check at 72 hours and see what is available. It's quite a long while away and I'll be OWS by then so hoping to snag one of those seats!

Last edited by mhy; Jul 2, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:53 pm

Mine is a cash-paid ticket in X class.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Free Agent
Question from a fairly seasoned traveller, though JAL and expectant parent newbie!
My wife and I are heading to Tokyo for the olympics and will have a 5 month old in tow. It will be our first child so this is mostly hearsay, but heard that 5 mo is a relatively good time to fly with a newborn. They're robust enough for the journey, but not mobile yet and have a pretty consistent eat/sleep cycle.
For those who fly J/F on this route, which would be better for us? I'm thinking F because the award space seems a little easier to come by, and the bassinet setup in row 2 looks pretty ideal. Plenty of space for breastfeeding and co-sleeping. Thoughts?
A probably more polarizing question, what's the forum's thought on bringing an infant to a premium cabin? Have you seen parents do this, or done it yourself, and any advice? I'm fully prepared to walk the length of the plane as needed to calm him/her down and keep the crying out of the pointy end, but beyond that, this is a whole new level of travel planning I've never considered.
Extra info: can book via AA, AS, or anything chase transfers to (Avios seem like the play for infant fare). I'll be OWS (AA platinum pro). Route is LAX - NRT/HND/KIX based on availability (I realize not all have F).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My simple view is that F and J has bassinet positions for the purpose of parents travelling with their small children, and is infants were not supposed to be in premium cabins, there would be no bassinet positions. All problems I have experienced with kids in lounges and planes have basically been parent induced.

Expecting as a certainty that your child will have a regular and stable sleeping pattern at 5 months is slightly off, your child may, but alps just as likely may not have a stable sleeping pattern. And sleeping in a foreign environment may very well cause a lot of unrest. I am not writing this to discourage you from booking, just saying you will only know by actual experience.

On a side note, I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to get redemptions in connection with the Olympics, even assuming JAL releases the normal level inventory, you are hardly the only person wanting to book. And JMB members now get a head start as the availability opens earlier for JAL' s own members.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Guitarthur
Question from a fairly seasoned traveller, though JAL and expectant parent newbie!
My wife and I are heading to Tokyo for the olympics and will have a 5 month old in tow. It will be our first child so this is mostly hearsay, but heard that 5 mo is a relatively good time to fly with a newborn. They're robust enough for the journey, but not mobile yet and have a pretty consistent eat/sleep cycle.
For those who fly J/F on this route, which would be better for us? I'm thinking F because the award space seems a little easier to come by, and the bassinet setup in row 2 looks pretty ideal. Plenty of space for breastfeeding and co-sleeping. Thoughts?
A probably more polarizing question, what's the forum's thought on bringing an infant to a premium cabin? Have you seen parents do this, or done it yourself, and any advice? I'm fully prepared to walk the length of the plane as needed to calm him/her down and keep the crying out of the pointy end, but beyond that, this is a whole new level of travel planning I've never considered.
Extra info: can book via AA, AS, or anything chase transfers to (Avios seem like the play for infant fare). I'll be OWS (AA platinum pro). Route is LAX - NRT/HND/KIX based on availability (I realize not all have F).
I have flown in J with my kids when they were infants but the bassinet has been hit and miss with them (regardless of travelling class) It will depend on your child.
The bassinets are small, and in an awkward position so if your baby is a light sleeper then it may be hard to put him/her down (not to mention noise, lights, and new surroundings).

I've found the best way is to make the seat flat and try to sleep next to each other, or use a baby carrier and rock them to sleep then put them down on the flat seat or sit down yourself.
For what it's worth I have 3 kids under 6, and I've done this between Tokyo and Singapore/Hong Kong/Hawaii. I will do Tokyo-London later this month

Never tried in F so can't comment.

Fellow passengers in J have generally been accommodating and patient to crying babies in my experience, and also as a passenger travelling solo observing parents with infants. Your comment about walking up and down the aisle if it gets bad to calm things down is a wise one.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BA
JAL Business from Europe to Australia

Hello all.

I am looking at a trip from Europe (ideally Dublin) to Brisbane in January. Would anyone know a cost effective way of doing most of the long haul flights with JAL in Business?

Thank you
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:06 am

I have a reservation that's showing it's status as "on hold" on JAL's site. This is an Alaska Air award ticket.

My flight departs tomorrow and it has me a bit worried, because I'm pretty sure this said "confirmed" when I checked a couple of days ago to select seats.

I received the confirmation letter for this along with ticket number when I booked the award tickets a week ago.

Does anyone have experience with this? When I gave Alaska Air a call they said everything looks fine on their end. I'm still on hold with JAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.