Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I have never tried upgrades, now with the award tickets on dynamic pricing, how does upgrades work?

If I were to book a flight that is XXX-NRT-XXX, would I be required to upgrade both XXX-NRT and NRT-XXX or I can just select one segment? Thanks.

Also, it seems like JAL is not updating status T+3~4, my status is still the same after finishing my JGC run even though FOP is in...
Upgrades are still offered at a fixed price, there is no dynamic pricing option for upgrades. Yet.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Hi, flying JL61 LAX-NRT on I presume a 773.

-Could I confirm that 2G has a bassinet? (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/777.html)
-Is that the only option for a bassinet in F?

-Separately, have people tried to buy an economy Y ticket for an infant and held them in their lap in J or F?
I knew the 10% for a lap infant was going to be a lot but JL seems to be a lot more expensive than other F offerings (like AA)

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Ayers
Hi, flying JL61 LAX-NRT on I presume a 773.

-Could I confirm that 2G has a bassinet? (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/777.html)
-Is that the only option for a bassinet in F?

-Separately, have people tried to buy an economy Y ticket for an infant and held them in their lap in J or F?
I knew the 10% for a lap infant was going to be a lot but JL seems to be a lot more expensive than other F offerings (like AA)

Thanks!
I don’t know if I’ve seen this specifically on JL’s site, but I’ve looked into this on other carriers and they make it a very clear point that the infant must be ticketed in the same cabin as the carrying adult to prevent the exact situation you’re discussing.

I don’t think they would ticket an unaccompanied infant anyway, though. (into Y)

This is why I tend to book an infant carrying adult using Avios (since it’s 10% of *Avios*) - even if the adult cost tends to be expensive, it’s conparatively “ok” since the 10% of the fare is usually worth far more in dollar terms.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is why I tend to book an infant carrying adult using Avios (since it’s 10% of *Avios*) - even if the adult cost tends to be expensive, it’s conparatively “ok” since the 10% of the fare is usually worth far more in dollar terms.
Ahh - that's great advice! Going to call them and see if I can cancel the AA booking to switch to BA... ugh what if I lose the ticket though. Hmm...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Ayers
Ahh - that's great advice! Going to call them and see if I can cancel the AA booking to switch to BA... ugh what if I lose the ticket though. Hmm...
That's "dangerous", if there is a JMB member on waiting list, the seat will go there not go back to free inventory.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:15 am

Got it! Lesson learned for next time
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:21 pm

Two questions about the JGC.

- how do I add family members? I received my invitation, I have a JAL Card for me+spouse, but I want to add parents. Do I need to apply for JAL Cards for them as well (i.e. via DCCard or Amex) or do I add them as secondary cardholders to my JALCard (it’s a DC Visa), or what’s the process?

- is there any point in going for JGC Premier for family membership - ie, would spouse receive OW Emerald as well, or JGC is limited to Sapphire? (I’m aware the “lifetime” status is Sapphire only, but assuming I actually requalify annually for JGCP).

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two questions about the JGC.

- how do I add family members? I received my invitation, I have a JAL Card for me+spouse, but I want to add parents. Do I need to apply for JAL Cards for them as well (i.e. via DCCard or Amex) or do I add them as secondary cardholders to my JALCard (it’s a DC Visa), or what’s the process?

- is there any point in going for JGC Premier for family membership - ie, would spouse receive OW Emerald as well, or JGC is limited to Sapphire? (I’m aware the “lifetime” status is Sapphire only, but assuming I actually requalify annually for JGCP).

Thanks!
There is a partner benefit for JGP, where you can gift OWE status. For JGP your wife would need to earn JGC for it to apply For Diamond you can always gift it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is a partner benefit for JGP, where you can gift OWE status. For JGP your wife would need to earn JGC for it to apply For Diamond you can always gift it.
Ahhh, I see. So basically she'd have to first earn JGC - but can I gift JGC as part of the family program from my JGC? Or she has to earn by herself?

And this means that I cannot gift OWE to a second/third parent etc, unlike Sapphire which can be given to more or less unlimited family members, right?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahhh, I see. So basically she'd have to first earn JGC - but can I gift JGC as part of the family program from my JGC? Or she has to earn by herself?

And this means that I cannot gift OWE to a second/third parent etc, unlike Sapphire which can be given to more or less unlimited family members, right?
As I read it, I would say earn it by herself. Just make Diamod, and you don't have to worry about this restriction. The benefit will only come after your first JGP year, so if you earn it in 2019, you can select it as a benefit for the 2020 period.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:21 pm

As I read it, I would say earn it by herself. Just make Diamod, and you don't have to worry about this restriction. The benefit will only come after your first JGP year, so if you earn it in 2019, you can select it as a benefit for the 2020 period.
I guess I'm just evaluating if it's worth doing it or not - I mostly want my parents to have status for their occasional flights, and that would be covered under the Sapphire JGC tier - and my OWE status is with American normally, so trying to figure out if it's worth stretching a bit to make Diamond with JAL or not. If the JGC Emerald benefit cannot be applied to more family members, then I might not bother and just stick with Sapphire. That's sort of my reasoning
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'm just evaluating if it's worth doing it or not - I mostly want my parents to have status for their occasional flights, and that would be covered under the Sapphire JGC tier - and my OWE status is with American normally, so trying to figure out if it's worth stretching a bit to make Diamond with JAL or not. If the JGC Emerald benefit cannot be applied to more family members, then I might not bother and just stick with Sapphire. That's sort of my reasoning
Emerald can only be stretched to one person
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:42 pm

Emerald can only be stretched to one person
Understood. I suppose it's logical, although that makes it even more puzzling how there are SO MANY PEOPLE in the JAL F lounges (and how every time they call Diamond boarding on domestic flight, half of the gate gets up...)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understood. I suppose it's logical, although that makes it even more puzzling how there are SO MANY PEOPLE in the JAL F lounges (and how every time they call Diamond boarding on domestic flight, half of the gate gets up...)
I am always amazed at the amount of F tagged luggage on flights with no F. I guess people just fly a lot and very frequently with JAL.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:01 pm

Checked luggage through to final destination JL & S7

Hello
I have a flight with JAL, NRT to PEK. Within 12 hours of landing at PEK I then have a flight (separate ticket) with S7. Will JAL be happy to check my luggage through to my final destination? Or will they only check it through to PEK.
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.