Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Happy
In this case the Chase UR travel booking portal run by Expedia is jacking up the price to essentially negate a good chunk of the card benefit of getting 33% discount (at the form of 1p = 1.5cent when booking Travel, versus redeeming straight cash.)
Are you sure that the Chase UR portal is booking into the exact fare class as the JAL site?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Going to the Japan site it would not allow me to log in. This means I would need to manually enter the passenger info (which seems a lot more is required, including the age and gender that you dont need when buying tickets from US and EU carriers.)
But, you don't have to show any ID for checkin and boarding :-)
And, you can carry large amout of liquid on board.

Though I ended up booking an Avios redemption to travel a day later at 7500 Avios + $3.xx taxes, I am curious to learn the mechanism booking Japan domestic flights as well as whether the price we see is the final price without any add-on.
You may realize a cancellation fee is only that $3.xx tax.
Some domestic routes have ZERO tax. So, Avios booking engine can't handle 0.00(USD) for credit card authorization stage.
In that case, you may call BA executive club (no handling charge), or make a donation (1JPY?) for credit card authorisation.

Another odd thing is, it also offers NH flights at the IDENTICAL USD as the JL fares but on NH own site, the fares are different in USD. still lower than UR/Expedia. I cannot tell what the native currency fares due to NH shows USD pricing.
Yes, basically same price for major routes.
For exdample, HND-ITM on 1st April,
discount fare (50% cancelation charge, no change)
JL101 0630 0735 8850JPY
NH985 0625 0730 8850JPY
NH13 0700 0805 8850JPY
JL103 0730 0835 12250JPY
NH15 0800 0905 12250JPY
JL107 0830 0935 12250JPY
NH17 0900 1010 12250JPY
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Are you sure that the Chase UR portal is booking into the exact fare class as the JAL site?
It is a very short route and a shuttle flight in nature.

There is ONLY ONE fare on JL site, other than you can add 1000 JPY to be in "Classic J" .

The Chase portal is straight economy.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
But, you don't have to show any ID for checkin and boarding :-)
And, you can carry large amout of liquid on board.
Ah Huh! The liquid thing can be useful. US is just being silly because other than US-bound flights, nobody around the world still practices such stupid control which the US just would not admit it is useless.
You may realize a cancellation fee is only that $3.xx tax.
Some domestic routes have ZERO tax. So, Avios booking engine can't handle 0.00(USD) for credit card authorization stage.
In that case, you may call BA executive club (no handling charge), or make a donation (1JPY?) for credit card authorisation..
Yes I know that. Have had to do a cancellation quite a few times in the past, sometimes far more than the $3.xx LOL.

Have seen the 0 tax issues although not for intra Japan flights.
I learned about the error message but not realize you can make a donation to make it work (i.e. chargeable hence the system works instead of having to call in to book.)
That is a good trick!

Yes, basically same price for major routes.
For exdample, HND-ITM on 1st April,
discount fare (50% cancelation charge, no change)
JL101 0630 0735 8850JPY
NH985 0625 0730 8850JPY
NH13 0700 0805 8850JPY
JL103 0730 0835 12250JPY
NH15 0800 0905 12250JPY
JL107 0830 0935 12250JPY
NH17 0900 1010 12250JPY
How do you see NH prices in JPY? The NH site only gives me USD fares.

NH has more flights on this shuttle route than JL and the late afternoon flights are more expensive understanbly.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It is a very short route and a shuttle flight in nature.

There is ONLY ONE fare on JL site, other than you can add 1000 JPY to be in "Classic J" .

The Chase portal is straight economy.
While there may be only one price displayed, look down at the lower left side when selecting the flight and cabin for the fare (usually one of the various Tokubin or Sakitoku fares) to see what JAL is selling on, then compare that to the Chase UR (assuming they can display the native JAL fare, and aren't using a special consolidator or restricted fare).

As an example of this, looking at 4/26 JL3009 NRT-ITM, JAL will sell it as a JPY10100/~92USD Sakitoku Type B while Google Flight's alternative skyticket is selling the same flight as a ~127USD Tokubin Type 21.

JAL's fare tool shows the pricing per flight and per fare class for their public domestic fares:
https://www.5971.jal.co.jp/eng/FareList.do
Consumption tax appears to be included in the amounts but not originating and terminating passenger facility fees.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
While there may be only one price displayed, look down at the lower left side when selecting the flight and cabin for the fare (usually one of the various Tokubin or Sakitoku fares) to see what JAL is selling on, then compare that to the Chase UR (assuming they can display the native JAL fare, and aren't using a special consolidator or restricted fare).

As an example of this, looking at 4/26 JL3009 NRT-ITM, JAL will sell it as a JPY10100/~92USD Sakitoku Type B while Google Flight's alternative skyticket is selling the same flight as a ~127USD Tokubin Type 21.

JAL's fare tool shows the pricing per flight and per fare class for their public domestic fares:
https://www.5971.jal.co.jp/eng/FareList.do
Consumption tax appears to be included in the amounts but not originating and terminating passenger facility fees.
The problem is, UR does NOT display the native fare.

In the past when people are using UR bookings to help lower their costs to maintain status, (therefore they need to book certain fare class) they can call and the Connexions rep can look into the fares listed in the GDS system, and can book a specific fare requested by the UR cardholder.

Now with Expedia, such ability does not exist. What you get is what Exoedia system displays. Their reps have no clue what fare class is. All they can tell you is they can only book what is found in their system. This is not just related to airfares, but also hotels, cruises and activities.

The marriage with Expedia is a big devaluation of UR pts in a not so obvious way until the users find more and more irregularities and inabilities to use their UR pts efficiently to the advertised value.

FWIW

Here is what BA shows the $3.42 taxes charged

Domestic Passenger Facility Charge - Japan USD 1.08
Domestic Passenger Facility Charge - Japan USD 2.34
Total government, authority and airport charges USD 3.42.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being AA Golds, does it do us any good to replace the BA Blue numbers in the JL domestic booking? like would it give us a better check in experience, being OW Rubies?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Being AA Golds, does it do us any good to replace the BA Blue numbers in the JL domestic booking? like would it give us a better check in experience, being OW Rubies?
There is no priority for OWR at domestic check in or boarding.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Good to know, meaning we dont need to change the FFP numbers. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
But for advanced seat selection?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
But for advanced seat selection?
Does that apply to Ruby as well?

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 4, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Does that apply TO Ruby as well?
at least before Amadeus migration
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I have never tried upgrades, now with the award tickets on dynamic pricing, how does upgrades work?

If I were to book a flight that is XXX-NRT-XXX, would I be required to upgrade both XXX-NRT and NRT-XXX or I can just select one segment? Thanks.

Also, it seems like JAL is not updating status T+3~4, my status is still the same after finishing my JGC run even though FOP is in...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I have never tried upgrades, now with the award tickets on dynamic pricing, how does upgrades work?

If I were to book a flight that is XXX-NRT-XXX, would I be required to upgrade both XXX-NRT and NRT-XXX or I can just select one segment? Thanks.

Also, it seems like JAL is not updating status T+3~4, my status is still the same after finishing my JGC run even though FOP is in...
it’s by sector only
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
How do you see NH prices in JPY? The NH site only gives me USD fares.

NH has more flights on this shuttle route than JL and the late afternoon flights are more expensive understanbly.
www.ana.co.jp (in both of Japanese/English) gives price in JPY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.