Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by JALPak

those are weird and kind of useless input though. You will need get audio from your source instead of the regular seat audio port. And you need some special adapter which probably no one has these days. Lack of usage is probably the reason JL no longer install them on SS9
I own the various converters/adapters needed to use that port, but it would be nice if they started adding an HDMI input. Wishful thinking I suppose.
If it's not on the SS9 Sky Suite I, then I won't bother bringing the extra cabling with me.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:41 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
I own the various converters/adapters needed to use that port, but it would be nice if they started adding an HDMI input. Wishful thinking I suppose.
If it's not on the SS9 Sky Suite I, then I won't bother bringing the extra cabling with me.
I've picture of the seat manual. That port is no longer mentioned. Also, photos of the actual seat confirmed the lack of video input port, only USB port is provided for device charging.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
They got rid of those from 787 (at least on SS9). Window seats on SS7 have them, it's below the power supply.
SS8 does not have them, so seemingly only the 77W
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SS8 does not have them, so seemingly only the 77W
Thank you for checking. I was afraid that would be the case.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Apologies for having so many questions.
Been looking at pictures of the Sky Suite Business class product and saw the JAL website had an image showing a yellow RCA port.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...kysuite_13.jpg

Will this allow me to get an HDMI to component converter and output video (ie: portable blu-ray player, game system) to the IFE screen?
I'm also seeing review sites showing this port isn't present on all seats/planes. Is there a certain plane model/configuration or aisle/window location that this port isn't available on?
As others have said, they're only on the 77W. I attempted to use one back in 2015, but was not successful. In my case, I had a 2012 model iPad with a 30-pin to RCA adapter, and the video just never showed up.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

of course. Just change the FFP number at check in (and take photos of the boarding pass with your phone incase you need to retro credit)
Thanks for replying! I managed to use enough miles to redeem the tickets instead!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm looking to fly KIX-PVG in J. How is short-haul international J?

Google found me this ancient thread. But not only is it empty, it's also pretty outdated.

Last edited by milesforhire; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:05 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I’m flying BOS-NRT-PVG tear this year. Currently p,naming on utilizing the 144 hour Chinese visa as my departure flight is PVG-HEL. Any experienc with how JAL handles this process at check in due to the visaless travel to China?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I’m flying BOS-NRT-PVG tear this year. Currently p,naming on utilizing the 144 hour Chinese visa as my departure flight is PVG-HEL. Any experienc with how JAL handles this process at check in due to the visaless travel to China?
Normally pretty well. Though I would not plan to check in last second as they may need a bit of time to be certain of the rules. Also, if your Helsinki is not on the same ticket, bring a print of the eticket
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:31 am

Managed to snag a couple of award seats on the 787-9 from Tokyo to KL which has the Sky Suite III seats arranged in a reverse herringbone 1-2-1 style.
Any suggestions as to which seats are best for a couple?

Currently, all the middle seats from rows 1-13 are available and the window seats from rows 8-13.
My initial thought was to get 1D/1G but is it too close to the galley and bassinets?

The window seats seem to be a bit more private with slightly more space, not really fussed with one front one back config.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Monya Meow Meow
Managed to snag a couple of award seats on the 787-9 from Tokyo to KL which has the Sky Suite III seats arranged in a reverse herringbone 1-2-1 style.
Any suggestions as to which seats are best for a couple?

Currently, all the middle seats from rows 1-13 are available and the window seats from rows 8-13.
My initial thought was to get 1D/1G but is it too close to the galley and bassinets?

The window seats seem to be a bit more private with slightly more space, not really fussed with one front one back config.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
The seat layout is pretty condensed, and hence very boxed in. There is no good option for couples, but my best bet is a middle set.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:35 pm

Thanks CPH, the middle seats do look that bit more condensed though compared to the window ones
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buying domestic ticket can only be done on the Japan site?

At first I logged in the US site but then found out it only offered America - there is no option for anything else.

Going to the Japan site it would not allow me to log in. This means I would need to manually enter the passenger info (which seems a lot more is required, including the age and gender that you dont need when buying tickets from US and EU carriers.)

I also dont know the fare shown is tax included or not - because JL site quoted a 10080 JPY, which Google quoted a USD equivalent of $91 that matched with the current Yen 111 to $1 exchange rate. However on Chase Ultimate Reward portal that is run by Expedia, the identical flight is displayed as

Flight $98.00
Taxes & Fees $11.26
For a total of $109.26.

I did go thru JL booking to the screen where you input passenger details, and did not see any mentioning of extra charge.

Though I ended up booking an Avios redemption to travel a day later at 7500 Avios + $3.xx taxes, I am curious to learn the mechanism booking Japan domestic flights as well as whether the price we see is the final price without any add-on.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The JAL website only allows you to log in on the regional website that is registered with your JMB account. But to book domestic only itineraries, you would need to use the Japan region website. So yes, you need to complete the information manually.

The prices shown on the Japan region website for domestic bookings are totals, no additonal charges will be added in later steps.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The JAL website only allows you to log in on the regional website that is registered with your JMB account. But to book domestic only itineraries, you would need to use the Japan region website. So yes, you need to complete the information manually.

The prices shown on the Japan region website for domestic bookings are totals, no additonal charges will be added in later steps.
Thanks for the clarification.

In this case the Chase UR travel booking portal run by Expedia is jacking up the price to essentially negate a good chunk of the card benefit of getting 33% discount (at the form of 1p = 1.5cent when booking Travel, versus redeeming straight cash.)

Another odd thing is, it also offers NH flights at the IDENTICAL USD as the JL fares but on NH own site, the fares are different in USD. still lower than UR/Expedia. I cannot tell what the native currency fares due to NH shows USD pricing.

By no chance the NH fares are identical to the JL fares. So there are some other things behind how the Expedia calculates the fares when the native currency is foreign currency - but it definitely is at "floating" exchange rate because the USD shown is slightly different each time when I take a look - so it seems it does use a somewhat "live" exchange rate to convert the JPY to USD, except the "padding" seems outrageously high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.