Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
You were connecting from/to an international flight within 24 hours, so the 8% consumption tax is waived.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by kaka
is it connected with an arriving or departing flight to/from japan?
Ah that explains it. Yes I connected from JFK-HND. Now that I think about it, she did ask me if I had connected within 24 hours and now it makes sense. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA *Gold WN A-List Marriott Gold
I am flying PHX-LAX-NRT-CKG in PY. PHX-LAX-NRT is on AA PremY and NRT to CGK is JAL PY. During the LAX layover, will I have lounge access? Subsequently, on the way home I am flying NRT-LAX on JAL prem Y and LAX-PHX. Is it possible to get into the lounge in LAX after the JAL flight?

I do not have status on OneWorld.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:06 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AirZona
I am flying PHX-LAX-NRT-CKG in PY. PHX-LAX-NRT is on AA PremY and NRT to CGK is JAL PY. During the LAX layover, will I have lounge access? Subsequently, on the way home I am flying NRT-LAX on JAL prem Y and LAX-PHX. Is it possible to get into the lounge in LAX after the JAL flight?

I do not have status on OneWorld.
no, you will only have access at NRT both ways
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA *Gold WN A-List Marriott Gold

no, you will only have access at NRT both ways
Makes sense, thank you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
I'll be taking my first JAL business class flight later in the year, roundtrip BOS-NRT. (Thank you for all the help regarding miles I had)
I'd like to use the reserve meal feature, but when I look at the website menu I'm only seeing 'From Japan to destination' listed under the meals except the Kyushu Ramen and Europe Donburi.
Is the menu on flights originating in the US, Boston in my case, the same as of those originating in Japan for that route?
Also is there an a la carte menu I can look at online before I take my flight?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
I'll be taking my first JAL business class flight later in the year, roundtrip BOS-NRT. (Thank you for all the help regarding miles I had)
I'd like to use the reserve meal feature, but when I look at the website menu I'm only seeing 'From Japan to destination' listed under the meals except the Kyushu Ramen and Europe Donburi.
Is the menu on flights originating in the US, Boston in my case, the same as of those originating in Japan for that route?
Also is there an a la carte menu I can look at online before I take my flight?
The menus for March and later are not available yet. The current menu (Dec-Feb) for BOS-NRT is available here: https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...812_201902.pdf
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The menus for March and later are not available yet. The current menu (Dec-Feb) for BOS-NRT is available here: https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...812_201902.pdf
Thank you for the reply. I actually found a browser issue was causing the section of the website that had the menus to not come up. Glad to know there's a pdf available right on the website though.
I'll check again when it's closer to my flight date for the updated menus.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Apologies for having so many questions.
Been looking at pictures of the Sky Suite Business class product and saw the JAL website had an image showing a yellow RCA port.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...kysuite_13.jpg

Will this allow me to get an HDMI to component converter and output video (ie: portable blu-ray player, game system) to the IFE screen?
I'm also seeing review sites showing this port isn't present on all seats/planes. Is there a certain plane model/configuration or aisle/window location that this port isn't available on?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Apologies for having so many questions.
Been looking at pictures of the Sky Suite Business class product and saw the JAL website had an image showing a yellow RCA port.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...kysuite_13.jpg

Will this allow me to get an HDMI to component converter and output video (ie: portable blu-ray player, game system) to the IFE screen?
I'm also seeing review sites showing this port isn't present on all seats/planes. Is there a certain plane model/configuration or aisle/window location that this port isn't available on?
The pictures that have the connector on the site are the outer aisle seats, window side aisle seats, on the 77W. The middle seat shown, are from a 787, and don't seem to have them, or at least in a different location.

I flew on a 787-8 with sky suite Sunday in a window seat, and did not notice these connectors, but I was not really looking. I'll take a closer look Friday.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The pictures that have the connector on the site are the outer aisle seats, window side aisle seats, on the 77W. The middle seat shown, are from a 787, and don't seem to have them, or at least in a different location.

I flew on a 787-8 with sky suite Sunday in a window seat, and did not notice these connectors, but I was not really looking. I'll take a closer look Friday.
I think that's what I've been generally observing too, although I did find a picture of the cubbyhole of a window side aisle seat without the port as well.. the blogger unfortunately didn't specify the plane model.
I also found two separate images of window seats in the 777 where one did and one didn't have the port. Seems to be rather inconsistent and possible they may have removed or added it over the years?
I'm thinking there may be a possibility your observation on the 787-8 may differ from what I'll see on the 787-9.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

They got rid of those from 787 (at least on SS9). Window seats on SS7 have them, it's below the power supply.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

They got rid of those from 787 (at least on SS9). Window seats on SS7 have them, it's below the power supply.
And middle seats on SS7 also have it, very similar set up as the window seats
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'll study the SS8 Friday, and see what I find.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

I'll study the SS8 Friday, and see what I find.
those are weird and kind of useless input though. You will need get audio from your source instead of the regular seat audio port. And you need some special adapter which probably no one has these days. Lack of usage is probably the reason JL no longer install them on SS9
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Christmas may come early this year on apr 1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.