Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Strictly speaking, not 60 days,
For 1Feb2019, booking starts at 1Dec2018 09:30AM(JST)
For 30Apr2019, starts at 28Feb2019 09:30AM
For 31Aug2019, start at 30Jun2019 09:30AM
For 30Apr2020, starts at 29Feb2020 09:30AM
etc.

Curiously, if you use BA Avios, you can book 62 days in advance. This Japanese 2 months system may be difficult to implement :-)
Yes, BA redemption system accpets 62 day advanced booking for JAL domestic flights.
IMHO, 62 days period matches 2 months in booking September flight in July.
Interesting! Thanks. So it's basically two days earlier than I expect when February is involved.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: JGC premier
Has there been a change in JGC program giving 8000 FOP for the first flight taken each year for JGP members? I just took my flight, and while the 5000 miles bonus did post, there was no extra 8000 FOP bonus and I can’t find reference to that thing on JL website..
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Has there been a change in JGC program giving 8000 FOP for the first flight taken each year for JGP members? I just took my flight, and while the 5000 miles bonus did post, there was no extra 8000 FOP bonus and I can’t find reference to that thing on JL website..
They normally post later. Think about first week of Feb. 5000 for JGC, 8000 for JGP and Diamond
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They normally post later. Think about first week of Feb. 5000 for JGC, 8000 for JGP and Diamond
Phew.. glad to hear there hasn’t been any other adverse change I wasn’t aware of. That 8000 FOP thing will mean the difference of being OWE or OWS for me.

As a side note.. managed to get Chilli Crab! Now just need to figure out how to get Sweets..
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the JAL Mileage Bank Forum!

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about JAL and the JAL Mileage Bank program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about JAL/JMB you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. We will try our best to help.

And of course, you can always start a new thread too
I’m planning a trip from LAX to Japan and would like to purchase an economy seat that I can upgrade with cash to Business Class. I have flown LAX-CDG on Air France several times and when I check in online 30 hours ahead of travel I almost always get the option to purchase an upgrade to Business Class anywhere from $400-1000 on that leg. I travel mostly for leisure and unfortunatly don’t have a ton of miles racked up yet (35k Flying Blue) so cash has been the option I’ve used in the past. I would like to fly JAL to earn points within Flying Blue partners but do they offer cash upgrades? I’m new to FlyerTalk and this is my my first question asked so I apologize if this is the wrong thread 😣
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:12 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
just to be clear that’s for JALCARD members not JGC/JGCP without JALCARD
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roamer777
I’m planning a trip from LAX to Japan and would like to purchase an economy seat that I can upgrade with cash to Business Class. I have flown LAX-CDG on Air France several times and when I check in online 30 hours ahead of travel I almost always get the option to purchase an upgrade to Business Class anywhere from $400-1000 on that leg. I travel mostly for leisure and unfortunatly don’t have a ton of miles racked up yet (35k Flying Blue) so cash has been the option I’ve used in the past. I would like to fly JAL to earn points within Flying Blue partners but do they offer cash upgrades? I’m new to FlyerTalk and this is my my first question asked so I apologize if this is the wrong thread 😣
there’s no cash upgrade discount. You might as well just buy business class instead
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Flying JL9 in F in a few weeks; have never flown JAL before. Would it be inappropriate if ordering the Japanese meal to also ask to try the foie gras and the caviar appetizers from the western menu as well?

Also, I'm doing a YYZ-ORD leg on a separate ticket. I should arrive at 7am giving me lots of time to connect for a 10:40am flight, but if somehow I get extremely delayed and missed my connection will JAL have any sympathy for me booked on an AS award?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Flying JL9 in F in a few weeks; have never flown JAL before. Would it be inappropriate if ordering the Japanese meal to also ask to try the foie gras and the caviar appetizers from the western menu as well?

Also, I'm doing a YYZ-ORD leg on a separate ticket. I should arrive at 7am giving me lots of time to connect for a 10:40am flight, but if somehow I get extremely delayed and missed my connection will JAL have any sympathy for me booked on an AS award?
Absolutely - ask for whatever you want to eat, the whole point of flying F is to enjoy the experience. In JL F, they don't even insist that you follow any particular meal course - pick and choose whatever you want.

Getting sympathy might be a bit of a tougher one - but they usually won't just leave you stranded either, so see what happens. ORD isn't the best airport to connect in, but with 3.5 hours you should be more than fine - worst case you'd get rerouted via another airport _to_ ORD and you'd likely _still_ have enough time to make it.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Absolutely - ask for whatever you want to eat, the whole point of flying F is to enjoy the experience. In JL F, they don't even insist that you follow any particular meal course - pick and choose whatever you want.

Getting sympathy might be a bit of a tougher one - but they usually won't just leave you stranded either, so see what happens. ORD isn't the best airport to connect in, but with 3.5 hours you should be more than fine - worst case you'd get rerouted via another airport _to_ ORD and you'd likely _still_ have enough time to make it.
Thanks. I've been imagining that with a Japanese carrier I will not find anyone to bend some rules to help me. Depending on the weather I might bite the bullet and switch to JFK-TYO if space opens and just throw away my YYZ-ORD ticket.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That's what I've done (just the caviar with the Japanese meal) and no issue. I suppose if the cabin is completely full, might be turned down?

In my limited experience, the CAs have been very accomodating (frankly too much personal attention for my asocial preferences). And not just between the Japanese and Western menus, but also J items (katsu sando, ice cream, Yamazaki) that weren't on the F menu. Or J/Y snacks if you'd like something more junk foodie (dried natto, rice crackers, etc).
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
They will usually tell you they will try but no guarantees. If the extra meal is out then they will come back and apologize.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I purchased a Class J upgrade on a domestic flight. They only charged me „926 total for the upgrade though when it is advertised as „1000. I'm not complaining but I was curious as to why it was cheaper.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pochama
I purchased a Class J upgrade on a domestic flight. They only charged me „926 total for the upgrade though when it is advertised as „1000. I'm not complaining but I was curious as to why it was cheaper.
You were connecting from/to an international flight within 24 hours, so the 8% consumption tax is waived.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pochama
is it connected with an arriving or departing flight to/from japan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.