Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They have clearly subbed a 77W with one of the refurbished 777-200ER. This has been seen before when they have a 77W out for unscheduled maintenance. Last I heard about it was on the LAX route. That was before the refurbishment of the 777-200, so somewhat of a bummer.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I'm planning trip to Hokkaido. SIN-HND and HND-HKD on separate JL tickets. As this is an international to domestic transfer, I understand that I need to retrieve my bags and re-check them in HND.

Question: Will I be able to still obtain the boarding pass for HND-HKD in SIN? (Booking that segment on the JAL Japan Explorer Pass fare, which doesn't allow pre-assigned seating, so I'd like to check in as early as possible).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They have clearly subbed a 77W with one of the refurbished 777-200ER. This has been seen before when they have a 77W out for unscheduled maintenance. Last I heard about it was on the LAX route. That was before the refurbishment of the 777-200, so somewhat of a bummer.
Think JA742J is the reason. It hasn't been out since it finished JL001 on Nov 11, at last according to flightradar24
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm a bit confused about FLY ON points. If I'm flying a biz class Z fare on LA or JJ and credit this to JL, would I get any class of service bonuses for the elite qualifying (FLY ON) points or only for the redeemable points?

Is my understanding correct that I need 50k FLY ON points to be able to get into the JSC club? (being from outside Japan)

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cowie
I'm planning trip to Hokkaido. SIN-HND and HND-HKD on separate JL tickets. As this is an international to domestic transfer, I understand that I need to retrieve my bags and re-check them in HND.

Question: Will I be able to still obtain the boarding pass for HND-HKD in SIN? (Booking that segment on the JAL Japan Explorer Pass fare, which doesn't allow pre-assigned seating, so I'd like to check in as early as possible).
Never been in this scenario but you could always get your boarding pass during the domestic check-in after arrivals. The check-in counter is just to the right.
cowie likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Palal
I'm a bit confused about FLY ON points. If I'm flying a biz class Z fare on LA or JJ and credit this to JL, would I get any class of service bonuses for the elite qualifying (FLY ON) points or only for the redeemable points?
You'll get 125% of the mileage flown, there's no bonus for LA/JJ. Only AA/BA/IB gets redeemable miles bonus.

Is my understanding correct that I need 50k FLY ON points to be able to get into the JSC club? (being from outside Japan)
It doesn't matter whether you're from or outside of Japan, 50k FLY ON points (half of that must come from JL Group flights) is needed for JMB Sapphire but it doesn't mean you'll get an invitation into JGC (JAL Global Club). There's a clause that specifically states: "Please note that a membership invitation may not be sent in some situations." Rules can change at any time at their own discretion.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Never been in this scenario but you could always get your boarding pass during the domestic check-in after arrivals. The check-in counter is just to the right.
The planned connection is only around two hours so I won't be getting the headstart that I'm after but I appreciate the reply anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It doesn't matter whether you're from or outside of Japan, 50k FLY ON points (half of that must come from JL Group flights) is needed for JMB Sapphire but it doesn't mean you'll get an invitation into JGC (JAL Global Club). There's a clause that specifically states: "Please note that a membership invitation may not be sent in some situations." Rules can change at any time at their own discretion.
Thanks! Do we have some sort of a tracker of how likely someone is to get the JGC invite?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cowie
The planned connection is only around two hours so I won't be getting the headstart that I'm after but I appreciate the reply anyway.
YMMV...sometimes they could sometimes they couldn’t. But that’s before the Amadeus switch though. But either way it’s just a short flight. You will survive even a middle seat in Y
cowie likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:53 pm

Thanks! Do we have some sort of a tracker of how likely someone is to get the JGC invite?
Only Japan Airlines would know.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Only Japan Airlines would know.
I can tell you how to not get an invite lol
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

I can tell you how to not get an invite lol
That sounds intriguing.... LOL
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Normally you would, because you have contributed 50% of your flights with FLY-ON's to JAL and what's not to like about a loyal customer?

So it is rather the exception that doesn't get the invite. Things such as if you work in the airline industry, you are not likely to get it.

That said, it is pretty easy to get hooked on JAL, with pleasant flights and courteous services.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Trying to complete my flight history and have gone back and found an old boarding pass from 2010 for JL51 NRT-KIX. Most sources I've found show it was operated by a 737-800, but I was seated in 58C. I'm thinking it may have been operated that day by a 747-400? I would've came in on JL17 YVR-NRT on a 747-400. Any chance anybody remembers or has a copy of an old JAL timetable from 2010?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Trying to complete my flight history and have gone back and found an old boarding pass from 2010 for JL51 NRT-KIX. Most sources I've found show it was operated by a 737-800, but I was seated in 58C. I'm thinking it may have been operated that day by a 747-400? I would've came in on JL17 YVR-NRT on a 747-400. Any chance anybody remembers or has a copy of an old JAL timetable from 2010?

Thanks in advance!
58C is the last row of 73H international config.
WesternCDN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.