Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interestingly enough, if you look at West Jet's homepage, JAL is listed as a codeshare partner, but not as an interline partner. The text about interline services is about bookings covering the full trip. Bit still better ask.
WestJet can interline baggage to JAL per EF, but as you say above, best to check with the WestJet forum on policy.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I am flying HND-SFO in J. I am AA EXP (OW Emerald), but switching to BA and crediting this flight to BA. Question is: If I want to access the JAL first lounge will I be able to do so with my AA EXP card, without changing the FF# on the booking? I also want to avoid a situation where they let me in, but change the # on the booking to AA.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
I am flying HND-SFO in J. I am AA EXP (OW Emerald), but switching to BA and crediting this flight to BA. Question is: If I want to access the JAL first lounge will I be able to do so with my AA EXP card, without changing the FF# on the booking? I also want to avoid a situation where they let me in, but change the # on the booking to AA.
Just show your EXP card on entry (or phone). They’ll either just let you in or they’ll enter it into the system for benefits but not crediting. I’ve done this a number of times.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would however, after the lounge visit but before boarding check that the FFP number is still the one you would want it to be.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Looking up options from SIN to YYC on Momondo brings me to some JAL/Westjet options on justfly.com that doesn't show up on JAL's booking site.

SIN-NRT-LAX legs are JL coded and LAX-YYC is on Westjet code. Is this a legit single itinerary or is justfly actually just combining two separate itineraries and selling it as one? If there are any issues causing me to miss the connection from LAX-YYC, I suppose I can only contact justfly and hope that they rebook me accordingly?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Two questions.

(1) How early can one check in for a domestic flight at NGO? I'm looking at 11am for a 2.50pm flight -- is that ok?
(2) Discovered that I had my last name/first name swapped on my ticket. Spelling is otherwise correct. The Internet says that's generally not a big deal, but will it affect crediting of miles to JMB? The call centre says they cannot enter my JMB number under the reservation because the names technically do not match.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cowie
Two questions.

(1) How early can one check in for a domestic flight at NGO? I'm looking at 11am for a 2.50pm flight -- is that ok?
(2) Discovered that I had my last name/first name swapped on my ticket. Spelling is otherwise correct. The Internet says that's generally not a big deal, but will it affect crediting of miles to JMB? The call centre says they cannot enter my JMB number under the reservation because the names technically do not match.
1) No problem
2) Will require a retro claim. And a quite manual one, as I expect the online retro claim will reject it as the names do not match.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by JALPak

if JL website not showing them as available then you can’t assign those seats. If this is codeshare, then what AA can see is what you are able to select
You might be able to force the selection of the "grayed out" seats, using the "Inspect Element" trick
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
You might be able to force the selection of the "grayed out" seats, using the "Inspect Element" trick
Forcing the web page to show a seat as available is going to have very little effect on the booking system back end. The rules are not controlled by the web site.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:18 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Forcing the web page to show a seat as available is going to have very little effect on the booking system back end. The rules are not controlled by the web site.
and even if it works, it may result in reassignment at a later time when no other good seats are left
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:05 am

I'm arriving at Narita on BA in J at 10:40 and connecting on a separate y ticket with Japan airlines to ITM At 16:55. Would I have access to the business class lounges under the oneworld rules? Will the check in desks let check my bag 6 hours before the flight to ITM?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:12 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Thepi
I'm arriving at Narita on BA in J at 10:40 and connecting on a separate y ticket with Japan airlines to ITM At 16:55. Would I have access to the business class lounges under the oneworld rules? Will the check in desks let check my bag 6 hours before the flight to ITM?
you will have access to the domestic Sakura Lounge but don’t expect much. You will be better off spending time at land side of T1 or T2, or even a quick trip to Narita if you know your way.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Thank you JALPak!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
the technique worked for me multiple times in similar circumstances (never tried with the JL/AA combo) and I flew on those tricked seats. You overestimate software developers in terms of backend validation, especially when multiple parties/airlines are involved

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Can any JL experts chime in on what's going on with ORD-NRT this Wednesday 11/14?

Flight went from relatively wide open to completely zero'd out in all cabins late last week, just checked again this morning and it's back to Y9 but J0 with no F cabin for sale, and the seatmap on ExpertFlyer is showing what appears to be the 772 layout. Would JL swap a 772 for 773 on ORD-NRT? Friday's flight 11/16 looks to have the same issue.

And looking at JL.com, it now shows 777 instead of 773.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Nov 12, 2018 at 8:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.