Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JALPak

yes, as long as it’s a same day connection.
Many thanks!!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Thank you for being so helpful!
I don't know how I missed that.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I've booked a series of JL flights for October (BKK-KIX-ITM-HND-NRT-BKK), which I booked through Expedia. When I went to the JL website, it said that I couldn't complete my passenger details (passport details mainly) because it was a travel agent booking. I phoned Expedia and they said they couldn't put my passport details on the site and I should just leave it until check-in. Is this correct - can I just leave it until check in - or do I need to phone Expedia until I find someone willing and able to enter those details?

Thanks in advance

1F
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I've booked a series of JL flights for October (BKK-KIX-ITM-HND-NRT-BKK), which I booked through Expedia. When I went to the JL website, it said that I couldn't complete my passenger details (passport details mainly) because it was a travel agent booking. I phoned Expedia and they said they couldn't put my passport details on the site and I should just leave it until check-in. Is this correct - can I just leave it until check in - or do I need to phone Expedia until I find someone willing and able to enter those details?

Thanks in advance

1F
You can do it at check in without a problem.
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Is there a way to check speed-tests for JAL international flights? Want to do a mileage run from DFW or JFK to HND on 773 but really need to work on departure flight. No need for video stream capabilities, just need to be able to use chat based messaging without too much delay
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Is there a way to check speed-tests for JAL international flights? Want to do a mileage run from DFW or JFK to HND on 773 but really need to work on departure flight. No need for video stream capabilities, just need to be able to use chat based messaging without too much delay
good luck with that. The satellite will keep getting randomly disconnected throughout the flight.
StatusChallenged likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Thank you, CPH-Flyer. One less thing to worry about!

1F
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Chat based messaging is usually OK. If you have to go through a VPN to use a system within your company's firewall, I more often experience problems using the internet. Generally I find the trans Pacific connection better than the trans siberian connection.

As JAL-PAK points out expect some loss of sattelite signal along the way. Also I have had flights where the connection was not usable.

Generally JAL's WiFi is one of the better in my experience
StatusChallenged likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA blue
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but i couldn't find anything, but do JAL block exit row seats until check-in, or are those seats taken if they show as taken on the seat map?

Related, if they might be possible to get: Are the desks at LHR manned between flights? I'm on JL44 but land from a connecting flight in the morning, so could just head over to T3 before going into town.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mckvakk
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but i couldn't find anything, but do JAL block exit row seats until check-in, or are those seats taken if they show as taken on the seat map?

Related, if they might be possible to get: Are the desks at LHR manned between flights? I'm on JL44 but land from a connecting flight in the morning, so could just head over to T3 before going into town.
Parts of the exit rows are blocked for status. If they remain available, you can get them at check in if you don't have the necessary status to select in advance.

The check in closes between flights in Heathrow. If you are on one ticket, you luggage will be checked through. If you are on separate tickets, it will depend on your carrier. (if that is separate and BA it will be no dice, BA Is pretty adamant)
​​​​​
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
For collecting the 50% required FOPs on JL, would MEL-SIN-HND on JL marketed (JL flight #) operated by QF on MEL-SIN + JL native metal on SIN-HND both count, or only actual JL metal counts?

[edit] apologies. the FAQ already answers this: it appears that it will count. I'm a bit confused to the calculation, though (assume all flights JL coded). MEL-NRT is easy: 9,946 FOPs. What about MEL-SIN-NRT, though? MEL-SIN (3,744 x 125% (C class)) = 4,680 + 400 bonus FOP for coding as JL, plus SIN-NRT would earn 6,610, so total 11,690 - is this math correct?

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:55 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
JL codes will count.

Use gcmap to get an approximate miles for non JAL operating routes.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
For collecting the 50% required FOPs on JL, would MEL-SIN-HND on JL marketed (JL flight #) operated by QF on MEL-SIN + JL native metal on SIN-HND both count, or only actual JL metal counts?

[edit] apologies. the FAQ already answers this: it appears that it will count. I'm a bit confused to the calculation, though (assume all flights JL coded). MEL-NRT is easy: 9,946 FOPs. What about MEL-SIN-NRT, though? MEL-SIN (3,744 x 125% (C class)) = 4,680 + 400 bonus FOP for coding as JL, plus SIN-NRT would earn 6,610, so total 11,690 - is this math correct?
You would also have to consider the region you're flying in. You can refer to this webpage.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:25 pm

Transferring points from Marriott Rewards to JMB - calculation error?

Not sure where this question should go, so please be indulgent

A few days ago, I transferred 240,000 Marriott Rewards points to JMB. The following day, I transferred a further 75,000 MR points. Given the transfer bonus (60,000 and 15,000 MR points), as well as the 3:1 ratio on transfers, I expected to receive 130,000 JMB points:

240,000+75,000+60,000+15,000=390,000.
390,000 / 3 = 130,000

However, for a reason no one at JMB or Marriott can explain, only 129,988 points were transferred. That would be 12 points less than there should be - and as I need 130,000 JMB points to book my flights, I’m in a bit of a pickle!

Has anyone else ever run into this problem? Does it predate the SPG takeover by Marriott?

JMB are looking into it, but in the meantime I’d be grateful for any suggestions.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by prometheum
Not sure where this question should go, so please be indulgent

A few days ago, I transferred 240,000 Marriott Rewards points to JMB. The following day, I transferred a further 75,000 MR points. Given the transfer bonus (60,000 and 15,000 MR points), as well as the 3:1 ratio on transfers, I expected to receive 130,000 JMB points:

240,000+75,000+60,000+15,000=390,000.
390,000 / 3 = 130,000

However, for a reason no one at JMB or Marriott can explain, only 129,988 points were transferred. That would be 12 points less than there should be - and as I need 130,000 JMB points to book my flights, I’m in a bit of a pickle!

Has anyone else ever run into this problem? Does it predate the SPG takeover by Marriott?

JMB are looking into it, but in the meantime I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Did you transfer the 240k in one transaction? Marriott had a bug where transfers were limited to 80k (old SPG limit) and were working to fix it. Did you transfer 240k in one transaction or 4 transactions of 80k? If you did one 240k transfer then Marriott probably has a bug because this is a new limit previously unused by Marriott.

Edit:
How many points came in to your JAL account through each of the two transfers? I am guessing it is the 240k transfer that was in error.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Sep 12, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.