Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:11 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I can't book for those dates either. Nor one day before and after those. I can wait list the dates, but no idea if it will actually clear.
Enjoy waitlisting while it lasts LOL After Dec, your answer will be I can see availability for departure on xx/yy but it will cost you an arm and an leg
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Enjoy waitlisting while it lasts LOL After Dec, your answer will be I can see availability for departure on xx/yy but it will cost you an arm and an leg
Yeah I know..... :/
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
sometimes i see hkg-hnd and hnd-fuk seperately, but i cannot see hkghndfuk. ...!?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i realized recently JL735/736 pair has changed from a nice 789 to a inferior non skysuit 788. Is this a detrimental experience? I really enjoyed my flight last time i flew this route but i'm hesitant to book on this crappy 788.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
i realized recently JL735/736 pair has changed from a nice 789 to a inferior non skysuit 788. Is this a detrimental experience? I really enjoyed my flight last time i flew this route but i'm hesitant to book on this crappy 788.
Then fly on CX and enjoy the torture

The change has been in place since end of Mar. Not sure if JAL SKY SUITE 787 will ever return to NRT-HKG since it's such an overkill for this route. But for this short flight, seriously it's not such a big deal for me. Another alternative is to fly on HND-HKG which is what I usually do these days. HND-HKG usually has the crappy JAL SKY SUITE III seats, but for the last few times, I got the ancient JAL SHELL FLAT seats. and it's not that bad for a 4-5 hour flight. IFE contents will be the same on 787 with JAL SHELL FLAT NEO and JAL SKY SUITE (which wasn't the case for my SHELL FLAT flights). But you may not get inflight wi-fi with NEO seats.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
thx Jalpak

its a work trip so need late tokyo departure... the outbound to HND is 100pct better on JL than CX flight on regional 777... return is mixed, CX ex HND is nicer seat than crappy 788 ex NRT

too bad i cant mix JL and CX on.corp fare!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
thx Jalpak

its a work trip so need late tokyo departure... the outbound to HND is 100pct better on JL than CX flight on regional 777... return is mixed, CX ex HND is nicer seat than crappy 788 ex NRT

too bad i cant mix JL and CX on.corp fare!
you are assuming there won’t be a last min musical chair game for CX? You may end up getting the crappy regional J seat on CX NRT-HKG flights
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Anyone know when does JAL change the exchange rate they use on the JEP website? Do they do this on a daily basis or weekly basis?

I am trying to buy tickets today and am getting charged about 4 dollars more than the google exchange rate I got.
To answer my own question I think they change them daily around midnight, but not the exchange rate for the current day.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
To answer my own question I think they change them daily around midnight, but not the exchange rate for the current day.
They are probably using one of the standard defined rates from MUFG, seems to be the popular choice for bigger Japanese corporations.

Just out of curiosity, on how many dollars are you "loosing" 4 dollars?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They are probably using one of the standard defined rates from MUFG, seems to be the popular choice for bigger Japanese corporations.

Just out of curiosity, on how many dollars are you "loosing" 4 dollars?
A round trip so $200... so ~4 dollars per $200 or so.

It went down to ~1 dollar last night so I booked them today.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:04 pm

Just curious what's changed on JAL 787's? Last time I flew, it had the shell flat neo, but it was 1-3 and 7-10 (4rows after L1) now on expert flyer it shows only 2 rows? 7&8? Did they take seats off? Last I flew it was in Sept 2016 and the seat was awful...thanks a million
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Just curious what's changed on JAL 787's? Last time I flew, it had the shell flat neo, but it was 1-3 and 7-10 (4rows after L1) now on expert flyer it shows only 2 rows? 7&8? Did they take seats off? Last I flew it was in Sept 2016 and the seat was awful...thanks a million
Yes, they removed 2 rows.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, they removed 2 rows.
OH, wow, ok, do the seats go more flat, or they just added more rows? Why did they take them out?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
OH, wow, ok, do the seats go more flat, or they just added more rows? Why did they take them out?
They added more economy class seating. For the routes these planes are operating, there was a need to shift the balance between J and Y seat count
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: JMB
Again I have to question you hope you can help with this one...
We have made our booking with JAL (11 hours flights FRA-NRT) already a few months ago. We also bought railway tickets at that time to get to the airport aorund 2,5 hours before departure which was always enough time to check-in, do the security check and get a coffee before departure.
Now, because we have some stupid idiots at the airport who refuse to use modern security methods, they (the airport people) say we should be at the airport at least 3 hours before departure because the line at the security check can be very long (45-60 minutes due to holidays). As we can't modify the railway tickets (only possibility would be buying new ones), it can happen that if check-in also takes time, we will be standing in the security line when the last call happens. My question now: how does JAL handle these cases? Are they waiting for us (as baggage will already be inside the airplane), will they try to get us into a priority line (or do I have to mention this to the security by myself if boarding will be soon) at the security check or do they just depart without us?

Yeah, I know, the best solution would be to modify the railyway tickets, but even if we do that that case could happen. FRA airport currently sucks :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.