Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
How about booking classes? If I fly business with a particular booking class, how do I know the conversion rate for FLY ON points?

Is there any credit card offerings that give additional bonus FLY ON points? I have researched and so far only find that the domestic ones offer 5,000 as signed on bonus. The one for HK for example, only has mileage listed as award but not FLY ON points.
it’s the same rate as miles for partner. No foreign credit cards that I know of will give you FOP bonus
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by JALPak

it’s the same rate as miles for partner. No foreign credit cards that I know of will give you FOP bonus
Thanks. How about Code-Shared Flights? (A flight that has both oneworld carrier code and a JAL code)?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. How about Code-Shared Flights? (A flight that has both oneworld carrier code and a JAL code)?
it’s the marketing carrier that counts
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:22 pm

Thanks. If I belong to another frequent flyer program (BA for example), can I accredit a BA flight to JMB instead of the Executive Club for example?

I asked this because I saw this on the website:
  • When the flight has been registered to a frequent flyer program other than JMB
Previously I thought I could assign flight miles regardless of my status at other frequent flyer programs?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks. If I belong to another frequent flyer program (BA for example), can I accredit a BA flight to JMB instead of the Executive Club for example?

I asked this because I saw this on the website:
  • When the flight has been registered to a frequent flyer program other than JMB
Previously I thought I could assign flight miles regardless of my status at other frequent flyer programs?
You can assign to any frequent flyer program. But you can't add the miles to BA and the FOP to JAL. It is one program or another for both.

Register the program of choice before flying. If you want to use BA for status benefits, but assign the flight to JMB, be aware that at some lounges they will reassign the accrual program to the one that you use for the status benefits. So check carefully along the way
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can assign to any frequent flyer program. But you can't add the miles to BA and the FOP to JAL. It is one program or another for both.

Register the program of choice before flying. If you want to use BA for status benefits, but assign the flight to JMB, be aware that at some lounges they will reassign the accrual program to the one that you use for the status benefits. So check carefully along the way
Oh Lounges do that? So if for example I have Marco Polo Gold and have a CX flight, but instead choose to assign this to JMB, then the lounge personnel will reassign my miles to CX? That's quite awful.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Oh Lounges do that? So if for example I have Marco Polo Gold and have a CX flight, but instead choose to assign this to JMB, then the lounge personnel will reassign my miles to CX? That's quite awful.
I don't see that as awful at all. It's just not fair to the MPC/CX in this case. They have to pay for the associated costs of providing the elite benefits but do not get the miles credit in return.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
I don't see that as awful at all. It's just not fair to the MPC/CX in this case. They have to pay for the associated costs of providing the elite benefits but do not get the miles credit in return.
It is because Lounge access is based on prior year achievements. If someone has acquired an elite tier from prior years, then the entitlement should remain in the current year and whatever the member choose to go for future years, is at the member's discretion.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I don't think it s the standard rules to do so, but it definitely happens. Early in my oneworld days BA did that to me a couple of times, and if you browse the forums, you will find a fair amount of reports about this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't think it s the standard rules to do so, but it definitely happens. Early in my oneworld days BA did that to me a couple of times, and if you browse the forums, you will find a fair amount of reports about this.

I see. Do you see that happening recently with other oneworld carriers? I suppose BA/CX/AA would be the most frequent "cross-users" for those who maintain two or three programs.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see. Do you see that happening recently with other oneworld carriers? I suppose BA/CX/AA would be the most frequent "cross-users" for those who maintain two or three programs.
Not for me, as my status and my accruals follow each other on all flights. But yes, if you look at the forums you'll see reports. It is nothing that can't be fixed, just make sure to keep an eye on the FFP information before boarding should you need to. Ask at the gate or check via the airline app. Not saying it always happens, but if you want to change program, I can be more than annoying if it does.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

It is because Lounge access is based on prior year achievements. If someone has acquired an elite tier from prior years, then the entitlement should remain in the current year and whatever the member choose to go for future years, is at the member's discretion.
That's just the passenger's point of view. But from the airline's or the program's point of view, you are double dipping and there's potential revenue loss as a result. In fact, AAdvantage T&C explicitly states you can't switch to a different program when you have used the elite benefits, e.g. checked baggage fee wavier.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp
You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats.
Remember, they are not in the business of making you switch to a different program as easy as possible. In fact, it's their best interest to make this as hard as possible so that they can retain those so called "frequent flyers".
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:12 am

Hi I am a complete newbie and I am trying to stitch together (for 2 people) a route from China(PVG)-Japan(NRT)-Hawaii(HNL, stopover) -NYC. I have AS/AA miles and SPG points (can be converted to JAL or ANA etc). Thinking about using AS to do PVG-HNL and then a second ticket from HNL-NYC with AA (or United). Question:

1. Are the J/F on JAL from NRT to HNL lie flat seats in early Nov?
2. Any more efficient way to do put everything on one award ticket all the way to NYC with a stop over in HNL instead of two awards?

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
Hi I am a complete newbie and I am trying to stitch together (for 2 people) a route from China(PVG)-Japan(NRT)-Hawaii(HNL, stopover) -NYC. I have AS/AA miles and SPG points (can be converted to JAL or ANA etc). Thinking about using AS to do PVG-HNL and then a second ticket from HNL-NYC with AA (or United). Question:

1. Are the J/F on JAL from NRT to HNL lie flat seats in early Nov?
2. Any more efficient way to do put everything on one award ticket all the way to NYC with a stop over in HNL instead of two awards?

Thanks.
Apart from brief seasonal stints, JAL does not operate F to HNL. Currently all flights are operated with full flat J seats. With ANA ramping up on HNL I don't expect a dowggrade of the seats offered on JAL.

Splitting it in to two tickets gives you more options to select carriers, but the overall price in miles may increase.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Hey all,

I did OLCI at T-24 on a booking with a companion (no status, and I'm OWS) for PEK-HND and could get boarding passes by e-mail, however after a couple of hours after I can't seem to get boarding passes for myself with this error: "Boarding pass is not available. Please receive it at the airport." I also cannot cancel or change OLCI in any way, but it's just for me - my companion is fine. Is it a document check? Not sure why only I'm the only one getting it. Any thoughts ...?

(Regardless, I'll be able to know the answer at the airport tomorrow! Just curious about it since it's unusual.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.