Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Wondering if I am BAEC Gold (owe) taking JEP ticketed JAL domestic flight (thus cannot olci nor preselect seats), how much of a chance that I would get a good seat in Y (first row/emergency exit), in particular on a Friday night almost-full flight? Does JAL domestic flights reserve priority seats for owe? And as owe I know I can access DP lounge, but do I get priority security lane with F or JGC, or not at all?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael Zhao
Wondering if I am BAEC Gold (owe) taking JEP ticketed JAL domestic flight (thus cannot olci nor preselect seats), how much of a chance that I would get a good seat in Y (first row/emergency exit), in particular on a Friday night almost-full flight? Does JAL domestic flights reserve priority seats for owe? And as owe I know I can access DP lounge, but do I get priority security lane with F or JGC, or not at all?
Thanks in advance!
It would depend on the load of Diamonds/JGP members. There are only so many seats, and some routes can have a lot of status members

You can use the F security lane where available.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It would depend on the load of Diamonds/JGP members. There are only so many seats, and some routes can have a lot of status members

You can use the F security lane where available.
Thanks for the info. It was a late afternoon (7/13 5:30p) departure out of HND to CTS, and I remember that will be a holiday weekend in Japan, so heavy traffic.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael Zhao
Thanks for the info. It was a late afternoon (7/13 5:30p) departure out of HND to CTS, and I remember that will be a holiday weekend in Japan, so heavy traffic.
Having never used JEP as I live here, you can't pre select seats?

I would expect that flight to be packed to the rafters. And I would also guess the load of JAL Emeralds to be pretty high..
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:07 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Having never used JEP as I live here, you can't pre select seats?

I would expect that flight to be packed to the rafters. And I would also guess the load of JAL Emeralds to be pretty high..
you can’t thats why I avoid JEP if I can. OP should just monitor the seat map to see what’s open/blocked right now. Use EF it’s free to check the seat map.

but honestly for a short flight like this, even non exit row/Bulk head seat would be fine unless you are REALLY tall
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:25 pm

I'm trying to find a return flight home using JAL award space on the BA site but it is so freaking frustrating I'm losing my mind. Constant errors and search takes forever. Has any other method been sorted out as of yet?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

you can’t thats why I avoid JEP if I can. OP should just monitor the seat map to see what’s open/blocked right now. Use EF it’s free to check the seat map.

but honestly for a short flight like this, even non exit row/Bulk head seat would be fine unless you are REALLY tall
JEP/Yokoso does not come with seat but gives 100% FOP while domestic fares other than normal/return has seat selection but gives only 75%.
Decision, decision...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennyblanco
I'm trying to find a return flight home using JAL award space on the BA site but it is so freaking frustrating I'm losing my mind. Constant errors and search takes forever. Has any other method been sorted out as of yet?
You would need to ask that in the BA forum, issues booking JAL flights via BA is much better understood there. Most of the posters here would book it via the JAL site.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
JEP/Yokoso does not come with seat but gives 100% FOP while domestic fares other than normal/return has seat selection but gives only 75%.
Decision, decision...
you can preassign seats with Yokoso
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Doesn't Yokoso now cost $ cause you must call the call center? I find getting a seat arriving at check in early is a better option.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
I am interested to join and earn JAL status.......

One question is that how do I found out partner flights (Oneworld) FLY ON points on different classes? I plan to direct all my travel next year to JMB to earn the status.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER

One question is that how do I found out partner flights (Oneworld) FLY ON points on different classes? I plan to direct all my travel next year to JMB to earn the status.
The same as the amount of miles earned. Sector miles * rate
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER

The booking class and earnings for partners are listed clearly on the website.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/travel/byflight/

Just remember that 50% of your FOP has to come from JAL marketed flights. Booked with a JL flight number.
​​​​
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

The same as the amount of miles earned. Sector miles * rate
How about booking classes? If I fly business with a particular booking class, how do I know the conversion rate for FLY ON points?

Is there any credit card offerings that give additional bonus FLY ON points? I have researched and so far only find that the domestic ones offer 5,000 as signed on bonus. The one for HK for example, only has mileage listed as award but not FLY ON points.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

The booking class and earnings for partners are listed clearly on the website.

JAL Mileage Bank - Flight Mileage

Just remember that 50% of your FOP has to come from JAL marketed flights. Booked with a JL flight number.
​​​​
I tried the website and it only has mileage accumulation for different booking class. Should I assume that the rates also correspond with FLY ON Points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.