Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mckvakk
It seems that I'll get 2 bags on my next trip. If i only check in one at OSL, can i check in the second one in London during my layover if i do some shopping?
Yes, no problem.

How long is your layover? They may ask you to claim your bag at Heathrow if over night.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA blue
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yes, no problem.

How long is your layover? They may ask you to claim your bag at Heathrow if over night.
It's 10hrs, morning to evening. Had the same layover and flights on my last trip and the bag was through checked just fine. Even ended up with a priority tag during the layover. Didn't know they did that for Premium Eco.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mckvakk
It's 10hrs, morning to evening. Had the same layover and flights on my last trip and the bag was through checked just fine. Even ended up with a priority tag during the layover. Didn't know they did that for Premium Eco.
Morning to evening is fine.

Yeah, PY gets luggage priority after first class, JGC and business class And yes, JAL can actually manage to get the bags out in the right order.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Morning to evening is fine.

Yeah, PY gets luggage priority after first class, JGC and business class And yes, JAL can actually manage to get the bags out in the right order.
Think my first PY flight was memorable for the fact that of my two checked bags, one was tagged business priority and the other wasn't (it was a box so not sure if the tag fell off or something. I wasn't paying much attention at BOS)... so one came out almost as soon as the carousel started moving and the other was literally the last one out on the belt. Flight was early getting into NRT and I wasn't connecting so I didn't bring it up, but maybe I should have?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:02 pm

Does JAL status match? I would like to start crediting all of my JAL flights to JMB but don't want to go through the BS of working my way up... Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Does JAL status match? I would like to start crediting all of my JAL flights to JMB but don't want to go through the BS of working my way up... Thanks!
Not unless you are part of moving a major corporate contractt to flying JAL. Individual status match will generally not happen
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Not unless you are part of moving a major corporate contractt to flying JAL. Individual status match will generally not happen
or his current airline goes under like Air Berlin did
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:49 pm

Shoot, not what I wanted to hear! Is there a contact email that I may use to request a status match? I would at least like to try, as I am definitely a profitable customer to JL despite having credited everything to the AA program. Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak

or his current airline goes under like Air Berlin did
I did not see a JAL offer in connection with Air Berlin. Mainly Star Alliance and Sky Team, plus BA and AY. Was there a general OW offer?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

I did not see a JAL offer in connection with Air Berlin. Mainly Star Alliance and Sky Team, plus BA and AY. Was there a general OW offer?
Maybe it was a different one that went under? Probably MA then. I remember it was a few years ago and AB is too recent lol
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Shoot, not what I wanted to hear! Is there a contact email that I may use to request a status match? I would at least like to try, as I am definitely a profitable customer to JL despite having credited everything to the AA program. Thanks!
I don’t see how profitable it is as you said you are flying JL either way and the only difference is miles crediting. Those are incremental and it’s not like JL doesn’t have to provide you benefits in returned. if you don’t want to start from scratch, CX will be desperate enough to match you.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know of an email address for the purpose, our travel department took care of it when we moved to JAL from ANA a few years ago. All we had to do was pick between JL, AA, or BA and provide travel proof of our Star Alliance status, then they took care of the rest.

Technically, I don't think the airlines are supposed to status match intra alliance,, but it probably does happen.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

I don’t see how profitable it is as you said you are flying JL either way and the only difference is miles crediting. Those are incremental and it’s not like JL doesn’t have to provide you benefits in returned. if you don’t want to start from scratch, CX will be desperate enough to match you.
Well, I have full discretion over means of travel, and have given JAL well over $25K in the past four few months. I've sent an email to their generic USA contact form and was denied. Oh well, sticking with AA I guess
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: JMB
Again I have a question, maybe one of you frequent flyers have an advice (or at least a guess)...

I was lucky to get a spot for Osaka Marathon this year :-) so I will do a short trip to Osaka. Lucky me, OneWorld airlines had a special ticket sale while I was searching for my round-trip. So I could get a cheap flight FRA-HEL-KIX (with Finnair) and ITM-NRT-FRA (with JAL). As I will be on holiday with my wife in August, our combined JAL miles would be enough for an economy to premium economy upgrade one-way. Well, but the fare base does not allow an upgrade via website. So my question now ;-) I know JAL does also allow upgrades at the airport just before the flight. Is it possible that I can upgrade at the airport even with if the fare base is too low?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day of departure upgrades to PY is cash only. Though I don't find them very good value though, it is 40,000 yen from Narita to Frankfurt Mileage earning remains at the level of the original booking class.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.