Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA blue
Originally Posted by JALPak
It's really up to you. NRT vs HND doesn't make much difference to me. Flight schedule matters more
They both have their advantages, and flight time is relatively similar altough slighly better for sleeping from london, so i guess i'll just leave it up to the price when it's time to book. Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mckvakk
It seems like the 787 flights go to NRT, not HND. My hotel is in Shinjuku so i understand getting there from NRT takes a bit more time and is more expensive? Getting there from HND last time was relatively smooth. Then i guess the 1cm and higher humidity might not be worth it?
Shinjuku is probablybetter placed for Haneda than for Narita. It will depend on exactly which hotel for the level convenience. You can take a limousine bus to Shinjuku Station from Haneda and then a short taxi hop to the hotel Or maybe your hotel offers a shuttle If you don't take the bus, you will be on commuter trains, which is not fun if you have luggage. Bus plus taxi is probably 2500 yen. You can take a taxi from Haneda, which will probably set you back about 8000 yen.

From Narita i would take the Narita Express to Shinjuku and a short taxi hop. Around 4000 yen total. If there is a limousine bus directly to your hotel, that's 3100 yen, before buying check how many stops it has before reaching your hotel. Sometimes it is annoyingly many. You can also get a fixed rate taxi here for 25.000 to 30,000 yen

I reality, I would as also suggested above chose by the flight schedule that suits rather than the arrival airport. But those were your transport options.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Shinjuku is probablybetter placed for Haneda than for Narita. It will depend on exactly which hotel for the level convenience. You can take a limousine bus to Shinjuku Station from Haneda and then a short taxi hop to the hotel Or maybe your hotel offers a shuttle If you don't take the bus, you will be on commuter trains, which is not fun if you have luggage. Bus plus taxi is probably 2500 yen. You can take a taxi from Haneda, which will probably set you back about 8000 yen.

From Narita i would take the Narita Express to Shinjuku and a short taxi hop. Around 4000 yen total. If there is a limousine bus directly to your hotel, that's 3100 yen, before buying check how many stops it has before reaching your hotel. Sometimes it is annoyingly many. You can also get a fixed rate taxi here for 25.000 to 30,000 yen

I reality, I would as also suggested above chose by the flight schedule that suits rather than the arrival airport. But those were your transport options.
Foreigners have discount on NEX roundtrip ticket. Believe it's JPY4,000 for roundtrip direct train to/from Shinjuku
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Flying on JL 1 SFO-HND in F (2 people).
Is there a divider between the 2 middle seats? If so, can it be lowered?
TIA
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Flying on JL 1 SFO-HND in F (2 people).
Is there a divider between the 2 middle seats? If so, can it be lowered?
TIA
Yes, there's a divider that can be lower with a press of a button. That's what a "retractable privacy partition" is

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic...eat/suite.html
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Thank you - looks great.
Any advantage/disadvantage to row 1 vs row 2?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Thank you - looks great.
Any advantage/disadvantage to row 1 vs row 2?
food ordering from front to back
noise from galley in row 1 less traffic in row 2
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can anyone explain why JAL and AA charge radically different prices for identical itineraries? Specifically for PE (and J) flights, but it could apply to other classes of service too. Since they have a JV, I would have assumed their prices would be more or less in line with each other (similar to how AA's Atlantic JV functions), but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Prices appear to be more closely aligned in Y.

For instance:

26-Nov-2018
BOS-NRT-HAN
JL7 and JL751 (AA8475 and AA8420)

03-Dec-2018
HAN-NRT-BOS
JL 752 and JL 8 (AA8421 and AA8476)

JAL's PE fare for this itinerary is: $2,665 (ELX03GN0 -- $2,350 base fare + tax/fee)
AA's PE fare for this itinerary is: $1,403 (OLX08CN1 -- $1,100 base fare + tax/fee)

Same flights on the same dates, but the AA coded flights are nearly 50% less expensive. Can anyone explain what's going on here? It doesn't seem to make much sense that a codeshare would be so much cheaper than the prime flight. The reverse is usually the case...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:22 pm

How exactly does waitlisting work? If I'm paying with JAL points through the JAL website, do they take the points the moment the waitlist is cleared and issue the ticket? Or do I have an opportunity to decline that ticket? My fiancee and I have to book separately, so I'm worried that one of us will get cleared but the other won't and the ticket is issued without getting an opportunity to say 'no'.

Can I change or cancel my waitlist on a certain date at any time? So, if I have a less preferred date, should I put a waitlist on that one and see if I can get a ticket for my preferred date?

Also, it seems like availability is poor right now according to the JAL website - is that due to Golden Week? When do they normally release reward tickets for this time (if at all?)

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings
How exactly does waitlisting work? If I'm paying with JAL points through the JAL website, do they take the points the moment the waitlist is cleared and issue the ticket? Or do I have an opportunity to decline that ticket? My fiancee and I have to book separately, so I'm worried that one of us will get cleared but the other won't and the ticket is issued without getting an opportunity to say 'no'.

Can I change or cancel my waitlist on a certain date at any time? So, if I have a less preferred date, should I put a waitlist on that one and see if I can get a ticket for my preferred date?

Also, it seems like availability is poor right now according to the JAL website - is that due to Golden Week? When do they normally release reward tickets for this time (if at all?)

Thanks!
When the wait list clears, the ticket is issued. There is no confirmation process for it. As long as the wait list has not cleared you can change the dates, or cancel for free. Once issued, a cancellation is 3100 yen or miles is charged.

JL releases the awards 330 days out. Expect awards in premium cabins for Golden Week to be booked almost as soon as they are released. Though addiornal may appear shortly before departure if not sold.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:43 pm

When the wait list clears, the ticket is issued. There is no confirmation process for it. As long as the wait list has not cleared you can change the dates, or cancel for free. Once issued, a cancellation is 3100 yen or miles is charged.

JL releases the awards 330 days out. Expect awards in premium cabins for Golden Week to be booked almost as soon as they are released. Though addiornal may appear shortly before departure if not sold.
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I checked tonight exactly when they went on sale, and it was already waitlisted - I was on the page at exactly 9PM EST. Is it really possible for someone to scoop them up in < 30 seconds?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makeshiftwings
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I checked tonight exactly when they went on sale, and it was already waitlisted - I was on the page at exactly 9PM EST. Is it really possible for someone to scoop them up in < 30 seconds?
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for F, it is only two seats per flight, so could just be one person quicker than you. If you are looking for Y and J, less likely to happen in 30 seconds.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Can anyone explain why JAL and AA charge radically different prices for identical itineraries? Specifically for PE (and J) flights, but it could apply to other classes of service too. Since they have a JV, I would have assumed their prices would be more or less in line with each other (similar to how AA's Atlantic JV functions), but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Prices appear to be more closely aligned in Y.

For instance:

26-Nov-2018
BOS-NRT-HAN
JL7 and JL751 (AA8475 and AA8420)

03-Dec-2018
HAN-NRT-BOS
JL 752 and JL 8 (AA8421 and AA8476)

JAL's PE fare for this itinerary is: $2,665 (ELX03GN0 -- $2,350 base fare + tax/fee)
AA's PE fare for this itinerary is: $1,403 (OLX08CN1 -- $1,100 base fare + tax/fee)

Same flights on the same dates, but the AA coded flights are nearly 50% less expensive. Can anyone explain what's going on here? It doesn't seem to make much sense that a codeshare would be so much cheaper than the prime flight. The reverse is usually the case...
O class isnt premium economy
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak

O class isnt premium economy
I was wondering, but then I was too lazy to check.....
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

I was wondering, but then I was too lazy to check.....
30% mile credit will be deep deep deep discount premium economy LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.