Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 2:06 am

Total sold-out for whole week TYO-CGK?

Dear all, looking for some advices here... for the whole week starting 24 Jun, the JAL site is not showing any direct flight from tokyo to jakarta. does that mean the seats in all classes are all sold out??
Many thanks.

Regards,
Michael
Old May 30, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: JGC premier
Not sure what happens, but full flight could be a possibility at least on some of those days given that it’s days after the big national holiday idul fitri. With some 10 days of combined public holidays + weekends, it’s like US thanksgiving and golden week combined.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They could be holding seats for government or corporate customers. Though I have never seen it for this long a period, I have seen planes being fully booked in all classes, and then returning a bit later with very limited availability

You can ask for a wait list for the flights you want and see if something does not come back to availability

That, or they are just busy in the holiday period.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:24 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They could be holding seats for government or corporate customers. Though I have never seen it for this long a period, I have seen planes being fully booked in all classes, and then returning a bit later with very limited availability

You can ask for a wait list for the flights you want and see if something does not come back to availability

That, or they are just busy in the holiday period.
That's assuming waitlist is open Not sure who is holding the seats for both NRT-CGK flights for the entire week. If both outbound and inbound are blocked, I would have guessed there's a potential config change but doesn't look like the case. The return flights are wide open.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebel54
CPH-Flyer:

Do they offer a western menu on all flights or something similar?
J has a Western and a Japanese menu. Y also has two options, where the side dishes are they same but the hot dishes have a choice. Usually one has an Asian or Japanese influence, one a more international touch. Nothing very Japanese in Y.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:09 pm

I have flown to Vietnam on JAL about 15 times, though never flown on EVA or Korean

Hanoi gets skysuite seats, Ho Chi Minh is with the NEO seats. For economy that means Skywider to Hanoi and older style to HCMC.

Economy service i would rank clearly above SQ on a similar stage length

Business class is less clear, I do prefer JAL to SQ. Though I can see why people might put it the other way around The food is really a winner for JAL.

If you do not speak Japanese, the crews can appear to be very little talkative. But that is a bit hit and miss but they are usually relatively talkative of you seem to enjoy the small talk.
Thanks CPH-Flyer, I always wanted to fly various airlines and compare their quality of service. One of the other Japanese airline that I was closed to booking on several occasion is ANA. Did you by any chance flew ANA before and how would you compare the quality of food and service to that of JAL?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:55 pm

Thanks @bakaneko85, @CPH-Flyer & @JALPak

Unfortunately it seems to me that i cannot waitlist... probably i need to wait and see then! finger-crossed...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monkeyking
Thanks CPH-Flyer, I always wanted to fly various airlines and compare their quality of service. One of the other Japanese airline that I was closed to booking on several occasion is ANA. Did you by any chance flew ANA before and how would you compare the quality of food and service to that of JAL?
In Y the food is about same same, service I prefer JAL. And for seats, JAL is still 2-4-2 on 787 and 3-3-3 on 77W, where ANA is 3-3-3 on 787 and 3-4-3 on (some) 77W. JAL has for better comfort

In J Western food (Europe and US) ANA probably have the upper hand, though for Japanese food I would say JAL Intra Asia J food is probably about same same. Service i like better on JAL

It has been a few years since I flew NH in first class, so my observation may be out of date, but first class food is a winner for JAL. Service does not make much of a difference, between the two Pretty flawless.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
If I wanted to credit an AA-coded JL flight to JL, would it count as JL metal for purposes of accumulating the 50% minimum FOPs in a year? Ticket is issued on another carrier.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
If I wanted to credit an AA-coded JL flight to JL, would it count as JL metal for purposes of accumulating the 50% minimum FOPs in a year? Ticket is issued on another carrier.
No, it needs to be JAL coded to count
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Unfortunately, no.
For 50% requirement, ANY JL marketed(coded) flight is counted.
Even flights operated by PG, KE, and other code share partners are counted for 50% requirement ( and tier bonus miles, domestic 2x, Asian/SWP 1.5x bonus FOP, lifetime miles) when your tickets are issued as JL flights.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
No, it needs to be JAL coded to count
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Unfortunately, no.
For 50% requirement, ANY JL marketed(coded) flight is counted.
Even flights operated by PG, KE, and other code share partners are counted for 50% requirement ( and tier bonus miles, domestic 2x, Asian/SWP 1.5x bonus FOP, lifetime miles) when your tickets are issued as JL flights.
Doh. Understood - thanks! So even if ticket is issued on JAL stock but JL flights are mrketed as AA it won’t make a difference, right? I’m better off issuing overwater JL + US domestic flights coded as JL to get my 50%?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Doh. Understood - thanks! So even if ticket is issued on JAL stock but JL flights are mrketed as AA it won’t make a difference, right? I’m better off issuing overwater JL + US domestic flights coded as JL to get my 50%?
They've been very clear. It doesn't count no matter who issued your ticket.

You may be better off crediting to a different program and stay away from JMB. It has been having annual or bi-annual devaluation since a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

J has a Western and a Japanese menu. Y also has two options, where the side dishes are they same but the hot dishes have a choice. Usually one has an Asian or Japanese influence, one a more international touch. Nothing very Japanese in Y.
She asked for ALL flights so the answer should be no You got no option on GMP e.g.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shek3112
Thanks @bakaneko85, @CPH-Flyer & @JALPak

Unfortunately it seems to me that i cannot waitlist... probably i need to wait and see then! finger-crossed...
Just checked and the flights are still sold out. You may want to start looking for alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.