Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
For the JGC paper coupon (2000yen), what's the best use of them? I can spend them on ticket but the service charge seems high whether at the airport or over phone, and there isn't a way to purchase online right?
I used that for Yokoso booking as I was going to pay for the ticketing fee either way. It's higher than travel agent but oh well...you can use them for inflight purchase or domestic F upgrades too I guess.

honestly they should simply waive the ticketing charge when JAL Coupon is used to issue the ticket. It simply doesn't make sense for them to give me JPY3000 for broken IFE and in order to use them, I need to pay USD50 for ticketing fee LOL
Old May 22, 2018, 8:24 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by JALPak
I used that for Yokoso booking as I was going to pay for the ticketing fee either way. It's higher than travel agent but oh well...you can use them for inflight purchase or domestic F upgrades too I guess.

honestly they should simply waive the ticketing charge when JAL Coupon is used to issue the ticket. It simply doesn't make sense for them to give me JPY3000 for broken IFE and in order to use them, I need to pay USD50 for ticketing fee LOL
Right, and even with ticketing thru phone agent you still have to mail them back which is another cost as well I assume.

Has anyone used them at hotels listed? Is it just treated like cash?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Right, and even with ticketing thru phone agent you still have to mail them back which is another cost as well I assume.

Has anyone used them at hotels listed? Is it just treated like cash?
don't even bother. believe u need to book through the hotel which is usually more expensive.

Yes, you will need to mail it back to JL with registered mails or you can visit the ticketing office if there's one
Old May 22, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Anything good to purchase from the JAL Store in Tokyo using the JAL Coupon?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Anything good to purchase from the JAL Store in Tokyo using the JAL Coupon?
You want to get some expensive airplane models? there are some nice ones at the HND flight shop
Old May 22, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
You want to get some expensive airplane models? there are some nice ones at the HND flight shop
Hmm, guess I should get one then.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Hmm, guess I should get one then.
or just pay the ticketing fee like I did
Old May 22, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I like the mid sized MRJ model, but they never seem to actually have it in stock when I am there. Same production complications as the real plane?
Old May 22, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no way to use them online. I have tried to book a ticket online, not issuing it, and then go by the JAL Plaza in Yurakucho to have the coupons applied. That also triggered the 5300 yen booking fee.
FYI.
If you pay with JAL travel coupons(not JAL coupons) partially, 5400 JPY handling fee is waived.

Reference(as usual, in Japanese)
https://www.jal.co.jp/jcfm/goods/
Old May 22, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
FYI.
If you pay with JAL travel coupons(not JAL coupons) partially, 5400 JPY handling fee is waived.

Reference(as usual, in Japanese)
https://www.jal.co.jp/jcfm/goods/
So what exactly is JAL旅行券? More like gift cards that you can buy for people, or that companies use as an encentive?
Old May 23, 2018, 12:14 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
So first time JAL flyer (usually ANA) so forgive my ignorance. I'm on a paid biz\J ticket Okinawa to Haneda at the moment and they are charging for alcohol. Is that normal on JAL? ANA is normally free for me in biz. Plane swapped to a 777-300 so not sure if that matters. Arigato
Old May 23, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
So first time JAL flyer (usually ANA) so forgive my ignorance. I'm on a paid biz\J ticket Okinawa to Haneda at the moment and they are charging for alcohol. Is that normal on JAL? ANA is normally free for me in biz. Plane swapped to a 777-300 so not sure if that matters. Arigato
The beer is not free and is only available on OKA routes https://www.jal.co.jp/dom/service/oka_shopping/. And you are on Class J, which is just a premium economy product. Similar product to the NH "business class" is JL domestic F.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So what exactly is JAL旅行券? More like gift cards that you can buy for people, or that companies use as an encentive?
Sometimes, JAL gives this coupon as a prize.
However, basically, those coupons come from installment savings that earns 2.5 - 3% interest.

https://www.jal.co.jp/tabitsumi/

For example, when you deposit one time 48,544 JPY, you get 50,000JPY JAL travel coupon after 6 months.

You can find ticket shops that sell JAL travel coupon at discount price (e.g. 1000JPY coupons at 970JPY).
There are some such shops around Tokyo station and Ginza area. So, you may go to those shops before visiting JAL plaza at Yurakucho.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

Do you have to pay a fee if you use the coupon for upgrades at the counter in Haneda?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Do you have to pay a fee if you use the coupon for upgrades at the counter in Haneda?
don’t think so but can only used for first class upgrade or multiple of 2 class j upgrades which is kind of hard to do. Usually i clear one upgrade at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.