Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jayoxd
It seems like I'm seeing conflicting guest policies for nrt first lounge when departing in JL F with no status.

On the lounge website it said guest just be on the same flight and the other page said flying a ow flight.

Will I run into any issues if my guest is flying on another international JL flight?

Thanks!
any oneworld operated and marketed flight will do. oneworld policy trumps the more restrictive one posted on JL website in this case.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by JALPak

any oneworld operated and marketed flight will do. oneworld policy trumps the more restrictive one posted on JL website in this case.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old May 1, 2018, 4:12 pm

Any opinion on JL31 (777-2 reverse herringbone, HND-BKK) vs JL 717 (787 Apex suite, NRT-BKK)? I've flown out of both airports before and prefer HND for the proximity but want to know the consensus on the two hard products. Never flown in Apex before. TIA
Old May 1, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reverted
Any opinion on JL31 (777-2 reverse herringbone, HND-BKK) vs JL 717 (787 Apex suite, NRT-BKK)? I've flown out of both airports before and prefer HND for the proximity but want to know the consensus on the two hard products. Never flown in Apex before. TIA
Depends on who you ask. Back in Dec, I went to NRT to avoid the crappy SKY SUITE III but some people may think it's not worth the trouble.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:12 pm

Depends on who you ask. Back in Dec, I went to NRT to avoid the crappy SKY SUITE III but some people may think it's not worth the trouble.
What makes the SSIII so crappy in your opinion?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

What makes the SSIII so crappy in your opinion?
tight seat, only 1 window, etc

JAL SKY SUITE 777-200ER rollout schedule
Old May 1, 2018, 8:06 pm
mgm

I have an award booking mid June in First NRT-JFK departing at around 6pm. I fly into HND first thing in the morning that day. Ideally, I would like to get on the HND-JFK flight rather than do the transfer to NRT.

First question:
Is there any chance that the JAL agents would transfer me to the HND flight assuming there is a seat available? I know JAL typically won't touch bookings made via other airlines but maybe they have more leeway on day of departure? Would having OWE status help?

Second question:
I'm checking regularly to see if a seat gets released on the HND-JFK flight so that hopefully I can have it confirmed beforehand. Flight is showing F5/A4 with 3 seats allocated according to Expert Flyer. Any chance that JAL would release an F award seat in the next few weeks?

Many thanks.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mgm
I have an award booking mid June in First NRT-JFK departing at around 6pm. I fly into HND first thing in the morning that day. Ideally, I would like to get on the HND-JFK flight rather than do the transfer to NRT.

First question:
Is there any chance that the JAL agents would transfer me to the HND flight assuming there is a seat available? I know JAL typically won't touch bookings made via other airlines but maybe they have more leeway on day of departure? Would having OWE status help?

Second question:
I'm checking regularly to see if a seat gets released on the HND-JFK flight so that hopefully I can have it confirmed beforehand. Flight is showing F5/A4 with 3 seats allocated according to Expert Flyer. Any chance that JAL would release an F award seat in the next few weeks?

Many thanks.
First question, not a chance that JAL will move you. That is a case between you and the airline you booked your award ticket with.

Second question, if additional seat opens, it is usually spot on two weeks before. Though checking along the way can't hurt. Any JMB members on the wait list for an upgrade or an award will be cleared before other programs can see availability.
​​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 2, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old May 2, 2018, 4:03 am
mgm

Thanks CPH-Flyer. I will keep checking for availability and hope for the best
Old May 2, 2018, 12:27 pm

tight seat, only 1 window, etc

JAL SKY SUITE 777-200ER rollout schedule
Decided to switch over to SS8 (I think that's what the product is called. It's hard to keep track... :P ) for NRT-BKK. Wanted to try something new. Thanks for your input!

For couples on that product, window/aisle combo in the rear cabin or middle seats in the front cabin?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Decided to switch over to SS8 (I think that's what the product is called. It's hard to keep track... :P ) for NRT-BKK. Wanted to try something new. Thanks for your input!

For couples on that product, window/aisle combo in the rear cabin or middle seats in the front cabin?
Middle seats, they are aligned and you can lower the privacy partition
Old May 2, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Middle seats, they are aligned and you can lower the privacy partition
I would rather have the window It's not that hard to talk to your neighbor even seats aren't 100% aligned.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would rather have the window It's not that hard to talk to your neighbor even seats aren't 100% aligned.
It is indeed one of the better configurations around in that aspect. Very close to being a toss up for me.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is indeed one of the better configurations around in that aspect. Very close to being a toss up for me.
either way much better than SSIII
Old May 3, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

WTH JAL just charged me for the THIRD time on the same ticket!
kaka likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.