Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I started an award reservation and put in some incorrect info. With no obvious way to go back and fix it, I started over. Now it says I have to wait "a period of time". How long is that period?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1 hour? (or if you are lucky, just under - say 45 minutes)
but my experience is usually i need to wait 50ish minutes.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
At +1hr. I'll keep trying. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Seems to me like a website glitch.
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
I second.
IIRC, only Y seats have movable arm rests.
And, front raws of Y seats don't have movable arm rests.
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Can report back there was no issue with that seat, or any seat in F it appeared.

Although apparently it wasn't a glitch??...the ground staff at Narita assured me every seat in F had that same warning! I pulled it up on my phone to show her. I don't speak Japanese and her English wasn't great so not sure if something was lost in translation. I don't recall seeing that notice before, but I also can't remember if I've ever checked in online for JAL before so, not sure where the variable is. But anyway thanks for the quick replies.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond
This seems incredibly newbie even for the newbie thread, but I've got a basic question about booking award tickets that I can't find mentioned anywhere. How do I get a ticket to a non-direct destination (i.e. to a city that requires a foreign partner connection)?

I only see the direct JAL destinations on the award chart or as options on the award reservation site. Do I have to book an award to the JAL destination and then separately book another ticket for the connection? Or is there some way to get both on the same ticket (either bother as awards or JAL part as award and connection with cash)?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:31 am

Flying F HND-SFO with my father on his birthday. Any way to request something special, such as a cake?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by aikinai
This seems incredibly newbie even for the newbie thread, but I've got a basic question about booking award tickets that I can't find mentioned anywhere. How do I get a ticket to a non-direct destination (i.e. to a city that requires a foreign partner connection)?

I only see the direct JAL destinations on the award chart or as options on the award reservation site. Do I have to book an award to the JAL destination and then separately book another ticket for the connection? Or is there some way to get both on the same ticket (either bother as awards or JAL part as award and connection with cash)?
If you want to book an award that involves JL plus another oneworld carrier, you would need to use a oneworld award, which is distance-based. These must be booked by phone and will require you to pay a handling fee that varies by region (USD20 if calling the US).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Hello all
I am looking at redeeming JAL miles for an award on EK. I would like to fly OSL-DXB (transit) -SYD (stopover) - DXB. There seems to be conflicting information on the JAL website with regards to needing to return to a city in the country of origin.

On the link below on partner awards it states - "Point of origin" and "Final returning point" may be different and those cities may be located in different countries/region.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...ions.html#tabs

I have read elsewhere that the city at the end of the itinerary must be in the same country as the origin so a bit confused! Hoping someone can point me in the right direction please.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I am looking at redeeming JAL miles for an award on EK. I would like to fly OSL-DXB (transit) -SYD (stopover) - DXB. There seems to be conflicting information on the JAL website with regards to needing to return to a city in the country of origin.

On the link below on partner awards it states - "Point of origin" and "Final returning point" may be different and those cities may be located in different countries/region.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...ions.html#tabs

I have read elsewhere that the city at the end of the itinerary must be in the same country as the origin so a bit confused! Hoping someone can point me in the right direction please.
You may he confusing the rules with the more strict ANA rules. JAL even allows one way journeys with EK. But yes, you can end in a different region than you start. The total mileage you fly is deciding the price.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Baggage allowance Domestic Y to International J

I'm flying KUL-NRT-SIN on JAL in business (an award ticket issued by Alaska, if that matters). I understand that I am allowed 3 x 32kg bags on these sectors. On the outbound, I'm planning to connect from NGO, also on JAL, but in domestic economy. I understand that I am allowed 20kg baggage on this sector. But I have read elsewhere in these forums that if I were to book this domestic ticket on a Japan Explorer Pass or Yokoso fare, it will somehow be "tagged" to my international ticket and I will be offered "international baggage allowance".

(1) Does this mean 3 x 32 kg or 2 x 23kg?
(2) If it's the latter (which I suspect it is) and if I show up with 3 x 32kg bags at NGO (more likely to be 3 x approx 23kg to be honest), how likely will the check-in agent let it slide, considering that I am immediately connecting to a JAL international flight in business class?
(3) If, in common experience, JAL agents are lenient in this regard, would it matter if I were to book a "standard" domestic ticket (@20kg allowance) vs the JEP/Yokoso one? The Ultra Sakitoku Advance Purchase Fares are quite a bit cheaper (around ¥6,000 vs ¥10,000).

I have no status on OW. Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help and insight!

Last edited by cowie; Mar 21, 2018 at 5:38 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cowie
I'm flying KUL-NRT-SIN on JAL in business (an award ticket issued by Alaska, if that matters). I understand that I am allowed 3 x 32kg bags on these sectors. On the outbound, I'm planning to connect from NGO, also on JAL, but in domestic economy. I understand that I am allowed 20kg baggage on this sector. But I have read elsewhere in these forums that if I were to book this domestic ticket on a Japan Explorer Pass or Yokoso fare, it will somehow be "tagged" to my international ticket and I will be offered "international baggage allowance".

(1) Does this mean 3 x 32 kg or 2 x 23kg?
(2) If it's the latter (which I suspect it is) and if I show up with 3 x 32kg bags at NGO (more likely to be 3 x approx 23kg to be honest), how likely will the check-in agent let it slide, considering that I am immediately connecting to a JAL international flight in business class?
(3) If, in common experience, JAL agents are lenient in this regard, would it matter if I were to book a "standard" domestic ticket (@20kg allowance) vs the JEP/Yokoso one? The Ultra Sakitoku Advance Purchase Fares are quite a bit cheaper (around ¥6,000 vs ¥10,000).

I have no status on OW. Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help and insight!
Regular domestic tickets will only give you 20kg allowance. You need one of those air passes for international allownaces, and in your case is 3 x 32kg
cowie likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:50 am

I an traveling ORD-NRT (FC) connecting in 3 hours to PVG in business. Do I have access to the first class lounge in NRT even thought my connecting flight is in Business? I have read it is based on the boarding flight but the long haul portion is in F.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileshound
I an traveling ORD-NRT (FC) connecting in 3 hours to PVG in business. Do I have access to the first class lounge in NRT even thought my connecting flight is in Business? I have read it is based on the boarding flight but the long haul portion is in F.
yes, assuming both of your flights are marketed and operated by oneworld.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
yes, assuming both of your flights are marketed and operated by oneworld.
Later this year I'm flying JFK-NRT in first connecting to NRT-SIN in business (772 with no first cabin). Does this mean I get first class lounge access at NRT during my layover?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 606
Later this year I'm flying JFK-NRT in first connecting to NRT-SIN in business (772 with no first cabin). Does this mean I get first class lounge access at NRT during my layover?
Depending on whether it's a same day connection. If no, then you only have access based solely on your NRT-SIN flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.