Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is quite a run on the first and business class awards, less so on PY and Y awards. Though with a bit of flexibility you can typically find both F and J awards without logging in exactly at the dot for the release. For Y and PY it usually works much easier. That being said, there is of course never any guarantee that once you transferred points you can find the route that you want, but by looking for Y/PY awards, I would say fairly high chance of success.

When booking, you will have the same seats avaible as you would have if you did a revenue booking. Certain seats are available for elites only, some are blocked, and some are blocked for basinets. Generally it should not be a problem to find two seats together. Once booked you can probably get them to put a note on the reservations, so you don’t get separated in case of irrops and subsequent rebookings.

I don’t think that you would need to waitlist, and then rebook to the right dates. But if you are very worried, you can book two oneway rather than a return ticket, that will allow you to book both directions on the first possible date of booking each routing.
Thank you so much! That is what I was hoping to hear. Is there any negative to booking 2 one-ways instead of doing the round trip? I don't see why I shouldn't do that at the moment.

I think I read about assigning a 'proxy' on your JMB account to let someone book tickets for you. So, if my boyfriend assigns me as a proxy I may be able to buy his ticket for him. Has anyone had experience with this?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings
Thank you so much! That is what I was hoping to hear. Is there any negative to booking 2 one-ways instead of doing the round trip? I don't see why I shouldn't do that at the moment.

I think I read about assigning a 'proxy' on your JMB account to let someone book tickets for you. So, if my boyfriend assigns me as a proxy I may be able to buy his ticket for him. Has anyone had experience with this?
I would not see any reason to do the two one ways rather than a return. I just mentioned it as an option if you are very worried about availability. The disadvantage is probably only that you will need to carry a print of your e ticket, as immigration and check in agents will not directly see that you have aticket out of Japan Again, and may ask for proof.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:34 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I would not see any reason to do the two one ways rather than a return. I just mentioned it as an option if you are very worried about availability. The disadvantage is probably only that you will need to carry a print of your e ticket, as immigration and check in agents will not directly see that you have aticket out of Japan Again, and may ask for proof.
and eligibility for Yokoso/JEP
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asked and answered own question

Hello again. Am trying to arrange a trip for myself, my kid and my father in law and would prefer to avoid the uncertainties of ferry travel.

Although the Great Circle Mapper and BA itself (through the "how many miles will I earn?" part of their website) both state that the distance between MMY and HND is 1,138miles, when trying to book an award flights, the BA Executive call centre insists that the BA system has it as 1,15? miles, over the 1,151 threshold.
Is there a way of discovering what JAL/JTA records the distance as?
Oops! Easier to find than I expected. Result is 1,158 miles - so that is what BA is working on.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 19, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: JGC premier
What’s the luggage check in deadline for domestic routes? I can’t find exact info for some reason on JL website.. thanks in advance
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
What’s the luggage check in deadline for domestic routes? I can’t find exact info for some reason on JL website.. thanks in advance
I thought it used to say 30 minutes, but only thing I could find (at least in the English pages) is you have to check your baggage in at the Express Tag Counter prior to T-20.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/smart/tag/
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
I feel like I learn something new every day. Never run into cabotage rules before. (I suppose it never came into effect for me as all my trips so far have just been roundtrips on one carrier)
So I have a question(or few) on this based on the following trip I'm trying to plan. I'm a JMB member and would like to earn miles on it, but this is more a question on the legality of the ticket(s) I'm trying to book.
I wanted to combine a trip to Hawaii and a trip to Japan in the same vacation span. My home is in Boston so I try and take advantage of the NRT-BOS direct on JAL when I can.
Because of cabotage, I can't fly the BOS-HNL on one carrier (Was thinking of using Jetblue to try their Mint product to the west coast and something like Hawaiian from LAX/SFO) then HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL.

Onto the questions. AA's site lets me select BOS-HNL-NRT-BOS with the BOS-HNL segment on AA metal, HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL metal, does cabotage apply to the codeshared flights? Do I need to choose a flight on AA metal from HNL-NRT as well?
Does it apply to two separate roundtrip bookings on JAL? I also wonder what immigration will think of this. ie: I know it's not the most efficient, but book a roundtrip from BOS-NRT-BOS, then within that book a separate roundtrip from NRT-HNL-NRT as two separate tickets, rather than BOS-NRT-HNL-NRT-BOS on one ticket which I can't do...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
I feel like I learn something new every day. Never run into cabotage rules before. (I suppose it never came into effect for me as all my trips so far have just been roundtrips on one carrier)
So I have a question(or few) on this based on the following trip I'm trying to plan. I'm a JMB member and would like to earn miles on it, but this is more a question on the legality of the ticket(s) I'm trying to book.
I wanted to combine a trip to Hawaii and a trip to Japan in the same vacation span. My home is in Boston so I try and take advantage of the NRT-BOS direct on JAL when I can.
Because of cabotage, I can't fly the BOS-HNL on one carrier (Was thinking of using Jetblue to try their Mint product to the west coast and something like Hawaiian from LAX/SFO) then HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL.

Onto the questions. AA's site lets me select BOS-HNL-NRT-BOS with the BOS-HNL segment on AA metal, HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL metal, does cabotage apply to the codeshared flights? Do I need to choose a flight on AA metal from HNL-NRT as well?
Does it apply to two separate roundtrip bookings on JAL? I also wonder what immigration will think of this. ie: I know it's not the most efficient, but book a roundtrip from BOS-NRT-BOS, then within that book a separate roundtrip from NRT-HNL-NRT as two separate tickets, rather than BOS-NRT-HNL-NRT-BOS on one ticket which I can't do...
Cabotage does not come in to the picture here. Cabotage is when a foreign carrier carries passengers on a purely domestic flight and schedule. E.g. JAL operating a flight from BOS to LAX and selling tickets without an international part of the itinerary.

What you may find is that you need to split your tickets, as the different carrier can't be issued on one ticket and PNR. Also you may find that a ticket like HNL-NRT-BOS can be rather pricey, but there are no cabotage rules preventing that booking. Immigration will not care about your route, as long as you can document that you have a ticket from Japan back to the US. And immigration will not care if your flights are one 1, 2, or even 3 tickets, as long as you can document it if asked.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:06 am

Cabotage does not come in to the picture here. Cabotage is when a foreign carrier carries passengers on a purely domestic flight and schedule. E.g. JAL operating a flight from BOS to LAX and selling tickets without an international part of the itinerary.

What you may find is that you need to split your tickets, as the different carrier can't be issued on one ticket and PNR. Also you may find that a ticket like HNL-NRT-BOS can be rather pricey, but there are no cabotage rules preventing that booking. Immigration will not care about your route, as long as you can document that you have a ticket from Japan back to the US. And immigration will not care if your flights are one 1, 2, or even 3 tickets, as long as you can document it if asked.
Interesting, because when I try and look up a multi-city trip pricing for HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL's US website, it keeps rejecting the itinerary with an error message ' Error: The itinerary is not compliant with the cabotage restriction rules (26810 - 8320) '
I guess I'll just have to call them when I have time to get a ballpark figure of how much I'm looking to pay on this ticket.
I was assuming due to this error that the flight is treated as a 'domestic' and falls under cabotage due to starting in Honolulu and ending in Boston, even with Tokyo in between.
Thanks for the info =)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
DOT has fined carriers for cabotage involving a foreign intermediate point:
http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...-cabotage-laws

JAL's website logic is probably more conservative to prevent inadvertent ticketing of a potential cabotage ticket. OP may find a live agent more flexible, and I would think depending on how long the NRT stopovers are. Or just book two seperate RT as suggested, since there's no downside to it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

DOT has fined carriers for cabotage involving a foreign intermediate point:
DOT fines Asiana for violating cabotage laws: Travel Weekly

JAL's website logic is probably more conservative to prevent inadvertent ticketing of a potential cabotage ticket. OP may find a live agent more flexible, and I would think depending on how long the NRT stopovers are. Or just book two seperate RT as suggested, since there's no downside to it.
It's definitely doable timewise. JL007 Arrives in Narita at 4pm while JL786 leaves for Honolulu at 7:50pm. Think I just have to watch my dates/times to connect and hotel since there's multiple IDL crossings.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Interesting, because when I try and look up a multi-city trip pricing for HNL-NRT-BOS on JAL's US website, it keeps rejecting the itinerary with an error message ' Error: The itinerary is not compliant with the cabotage restriction rules (26810 - 8320) '
I guess I'll just have to call them when I have time to get a ballpark figure of how much I'm looking to pay on this ticket.
I was assuming due to this error that the flight is treated as a 'domestic' and falls under cabotage due to starting in Honolulu and ending in Boston, even with Tokyo in between.
Thanks for the info =)
The DOT is more sensitive om the topic than I knew... I wonder then if JAL has even priced the flights. Indeed live and learn.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
F Check-In Message: "Notice: Least Preferred Seat Has Been Assigned"

Checking in got the message in quotes above when doing on-line check-in for a flight.

At the bottom of the check-in page it says "Non-Movable Arm Rest". I can't remember seeing this message before? Did I miss something? I don't fly JAL too often, maybe 3-4x a year so could just be my lack of familiarity.

So I tried swapping to a few different seats in the F Cabin (4 seats still open), all 4 have identical warning about a "Non-Movable Arm Rest". Seems implausible that at least 4/8 seats in F would have the same seat issue for a flight not for another half day? Do you guys know?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Checking in got the message in quotes above when doing on-line check-in for a flight.

At the bottom of the check-in page it says "Non-Movable Arm Rest". I can't remember seeing this message before? Did I miss something? I don't fly JAL too often, maybe 3-4x a year so could just be my lack of familiarity.

So I tried swapping to a few different seats in the F Cabin (4 seats still open), all 4 have identical warning about a "Non-Movable Arm Rest". Seems implausible that at least 4/8 seats in F would have the same seat issue for a flight not for another half day? Do you guys know?
Seems to me like a website glitch.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Seems to me like a website glitch.
I second.
IIRC, only Y seats have movable arm rests.
And, front raws of Y seats don't have movable arm rests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.