Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Hi, first time poster here. (search function really didn't find an answer for me)
I've booked a few domestic legs using the Japan Explorer Pass, but never used the Class J upgrade option before so had some questions on it if anyone's had any experience with it.
Class J, First Class is not applicable however may be purchased at the time of check-in on a standby basis. (Class J: +JPY1,000, First Class: +JPY8,000)

It looks pretty obvious how it works, but does this 'standby basis' mean you get put on a list like standby flying, or just the option to purchase the Class J upgrade (In my case, they're HND-KUH and CTS-HND flights) is not available until check-in?
ie: Pay 1000jpy, get put on list. If Class J is open at boarding, you get name called to sit there... or Check-in, if Class J open, you pay 1000jpy and get an upgraded ticket for the Class J seat.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Hi, first time poster here. (search function really didn't find an answer for me)
I've booked a few domestic legs using the Japan Explorer Pass, but never used the Class J upgrade option before so had some questions on it if anyone's had any experience with it.
Class J, First Class is not applicable however may be purchased at the time of check-in on a standby basis. (Class J: +JPY1,000, First Class: +JPY8,000)

It looks pretty obvious how it works, but does this 'standby basis' mean you get put on a list like standby flying, or just the option to purchase the Class J upgrade (In my case, they're HND-KUH and CTS-HND flights) is not available until check-in?
ie: Pay 1000jpy, get put on list. If Class J is open at boarding, you get name called to sit there... or Check-in, if Class J open, you pay 1000jpy and get an upgraded ticket for the Class J seat.
It's the scond option, if open at check-in, you can ask the counter agent and pay then.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's the scond option, if open at check-in, you can ask the counter agent and pay then.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Thank you.
Economy is already good, but for 1000jpy it sounds like a deal for a seat upgrade. I'll give it a try if any seats are open.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you.
Economy is already good, but for 1000jpy it sounds like a deal for a seat upgrade. I'll give it a try if any seats are open.
It is a fairlf good deal, availability is heavily dependent on route. Most of my domesdom flights seems booked out in Class J and F ibiadvance, but looking at the departure screens in the lounge, there alawaa are flights with open Clads J seats.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:42 pm

Flying again JL F but have a quick connection from NRT to HND on Feb 17. Does JL offer limousine/private car transfer service between the two airports? FWIW I am booked full fare F on JL stock.

Last edited by Gino Troian; Feb 7, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Flying again JL F but have a quick connection from NRT to HND on Feb 17. Does JL offer limousine/private car transfer service between the two airports? FWIW I am booked full fare F on JL stock.
No, transfer between the two airports are on your own accord

A private car would probably be around 40K yen. Bus is probably the most convenient after that at a bargain of 3K yen, especially convenient if you have luggage.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:38 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Thank you.
EDIT/CORRECTION
According to my recent experiene,
my following understanding about classJ/F stanby at an airport was wrong. I explained JAL's procedure is same as ANA's procedure.
JAL accepts a waiting list of class J for a specific flight (not a case for ANA's premium class sameday upgrade waiting.).
When class J/F is released, JAL seems to assign that seat to one who is waiting.
So, no complex strategy is needed like ANA.

If class J (and F) is fully booked at your check in, still you can be on a wait list.
This wait list consists of separate queues for Oneworld eliste status, and a earlier entry has priority.

wait list category S for OW emerald, A for OW sapphire, and category B, and C.
The end/tail of category S has priority over the top of category A.

For business routes, business travelers tend to use flexible tickets, and change flights at last minutes.
They tend to book later flights for protection, then change them to earlier flights when their work have been finished early.
So, sometimes wait list is cleared.

Usually, wait list clearance call is done at 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
In Haneda and other larger airports, there are dedicated wait list handling counters near the departure gate.
So, you had better be there by that time.

Furthermore, there is a system glitch for this wait list system.
When someone has canceled a class J seat of the specific flight, and you are in the wait list, you can't get that seat automatically.
Wait list handling at the gate and same day class J upgrade requests at the check in counter are handled separately.
So, when someone has canceled a class J seat, someone not in the wait list can grab that seat at the check in counter, because there is an availability.
So, if you want to maximize your upgrade possibility, you have to check class J availability constantly even you are in the wait list.

In case of multiple flights to same destination
There are multiple flights of CTS to HND.
Be aware, you CAN'T wait a class J seat of the specific flight.
There is ONE queue for the specific route.
For example,
CTS-HND departure 10:00
CTS-HND departure 11:00
You have a reservation of 11:00. arrive at the airport 09:00, then ask wait list.
Your wait list indicates class J for 10:00, 11:00, and so on.
So, if class J of 10:00 becomes available, you have to board 10:00 flight, OR abandon the wait list request. If your ticket isn't a flexible, your choices are buying a full fare one way ticket for 10:00, or abandon the wait list request

In the latter case, you have to ask wait list again, and will be the end of the wait list.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Feb 22, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

A private car would probably be around 40K yen. Bus is probably the most convenient after that at a bargain of 3K yen, espeespeci convenient if you have luggage.
Thank you for the quick response! I will be smart and take the $30 bus
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Hi I have a NGO->xCTS->HKG (JL-CX) itin.
Might I know:
1. If I can check through my baggage from NGO to HKG and;
2. If I need to arrive NGO 60 mins ahead instead of 40 mins ahead?

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by AmD950
Hi I have a NGO->xCTS->HKG (JL-CX) itin.
Might I know:
1. If I can check through my baggage from NGO to HKG and;
2. If I need to arrive NGO 60 mins ahead instead of 40 mins ahead?

Thanks.
JL will interline to CX, just ask nicely and give them your flight bookings for your onward flight.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Thank you for the quick response! I will be smart and take the $30 bus
There is also the option of Keisei Narita Airport express for 1700jpy, but it's less frequent (approx 1/hr vs every 20min or so for bus) and takes a bit longer, although not affected by traffic delays. AFAIK, it's also a standard train rather than a specialized airport shuttle so there's no dedicated space for large luggage either.
Personally I take the bus when going between the Tokyo airports too. Buy the ticket at the counter inside the airport, then go outside to line up... the attendants will ask you which terminal you're getting off at Haneda, then tag and load your luggage appropriately.

So, if class J of 10:00 becomes available, you have to board 10:00 flight, OR abandon the wait list request. If your ticket isn't a flexible, your choices are buying a full fare one way ticket for 10:00, or abandon the wait list request
I have a highly restricted Japan Explorer pass (Fare class G), so changing flights isn't an option without paying the full price. Class J isn't a necessity for me, so I'll just take the economy seat if the former isn't available.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

A private car would probably be around 40K yen. Bus is probably the most convenient after that at a bargain of 3K yen, especially convenient if you have luggage.
Is this doable for a connection of 3 hours and 40 mins-- arriving NRT at 7:20 AM and departing HND at 11 AM?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Is this doable for a connection of 3 hours and 40 mins-- arriving NRT at 7:20 AM and departing HND at 11 AM?
It is doable, but it does not leave much spare time.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
It is doable, but it does not leave much spare time.
Thanks!

Most available award options from DEL to JFK bring me in to NRT and then fly out of HND. Seems like a lot of hassle, particularly if you aren't familiar with Tokyo, which I am not.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Thanks!

Most available award options from DEL to JFK bring me in to NRT and then fly out of HND. Seems like a lot of hassle, particularly if you aren't familiar with Tokyo, which I am not.
The Japan forum has a lot of practocal tips about getting between the two airports My recommendation would be to catch a bus they depart very frequently from Narita to Haneda Look for the orange Airport Limousine counters, while saying limousine it is just a regular bus. 3100 yen one way. The train will get you in to a normal commuter train, and is not fun in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.