Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by JALPak
Then why would it depend on JL's flexibility? Fare rules allow the change then you would be fine. But whether they will charge you re-ticketing fee is a different story though.
Just the possibility that they might not like people turning up 60-90 mins before a flight and asking to be moved to that flight instead of a later confirmed one.

I've had JAL change tickets like this before, but not for same day flights.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
If the ferry was cancelled, I understand the ferry company gives out a slip which you can show the airline. What's a reasonable expectation from JAL with an award booking in a ferry failure circumstance?
No reaction to or thoughts on this?

If I offended anybody elsewhere on FT, I'm really sorry.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
No reaction to or thoughts on this?

If I offended anybody elsewhere on FT, I'm really sorry.
I guess we have zero experience to share.... For me, never arrived with a ferry before might flight. So I can only guess that JAL will be JAL, and be reasonable about it. But I guess the smoothness would depend on status and number of passengers they have to handle for irrops.
LapLap likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:17 pm

for business class meal, do we have to pre order it or select while on the flight?

at NRT airport, i assume the sakura lounge in main building is better than the one in satellite building?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by maxguy
for business class meal, do we have to pre order it or select while on the flight?

at NRT airport, i assume the sakura lounge in main building is better than the one in satellite building?
You can pre order, but you don't have to. If you want to be absolutely certain that you get a Japanese meal, it might be an idea to pre order. Assuming your flight is eligible. Intra Asia routes are generally not.

There is not much difference in the business class lounges. I would go for the one closest to your gate.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:35 am

Surprise I am asking this, but has anyone heard of the rumor that the ticketing of Yokoso ticket can be done online in the future?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JALlover
Surprise I am asking this, but has anyone heard of the rumor that the ticketing of Yokoso ticket can be done online in the future?
https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/ar/
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Yokoso not JEP!

Anyway, NA ticketing said no, Yokoso will still only be done via the phone.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JALPak
Yokoso not JEP!

Anyway, NA ticketing said no, Yokoso will still only be done via the phone.
Damn, sorry. I guess the Yokoso online link redirects to the Explorer Pass page now. I could swear I was able to book a Yokoso fare online a couple years ago (2014 or 2015), but things have probably changed.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Damn, sorry. I guess the Yokoso online link redirects to the Explorer Pass page now. I could swear I was able to book a Yokoso fare online a couple years ago (2014 or 2015), but things have probably changed.
they launched JEP and took Yokoso offline
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,

I have a question about transfering between terminals and flights at NHD.

We will be flying ITM-HND-SFO and wondered how long it takes to get from our arrival terminal to the international terminal for our onward flight?
Are they connected? we have 2hrs10m for our connection
I assume our luggage will be checked through correct?

Lastly, peoples experiences with checkin times needed at ITM seem to vary wildly.

Any thoughts on a reasonable time to arrive at ITM for a 16:30 departure on a Sunday in mid October would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any replies
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

I have a question about transfering between terminals and flights at NHD.

We will be flying ITM-HND-SFO and wondered how long it takes to get from our arrival terminal to the international terminal for our onward flight?
Are they connected? we have 2hrs10m for our connection
I assume our luggage will be checked through correct?

Lastly, peoples experiences with checkin times needed at ITM seem to vary wildly.

Any thoughts on a reasonable time to arrive at ITM for a 16:30 departure on a Sunday in mid October would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any replies
Just did this same routing Thursday!

At ITM: Go to the International connections counter. It's on the south end of the North Terminal. If you take the limo bus to the airport, it will drop you between the South (ANA) and North (JAL) terminals. The international connections counter will be the first counter you see on your left as you enter the North terminal.

Your luggage will be checked through to SFO, no need to reclaim at HND. Or further if SFO isn't the finally destination on your ticket, but you'd reclaim your bags for customs at SFO regardless.

As for time, you need to pass through domestic security at least 15 minutes prior to departure and be at the gate 10 minutes prior. Unknown amount of people in the check-in line, plus maybe one more flight after that will connect to JL2, I'd go for 1 hour or more prior depending on your comfort level. My own experience is that check-in took about an hour but I was buying a same day PE upgrade for JL2 at ITM and took longer than normal.

Also, I had to pick up my JL2 boarding pass at the HND counter. First time I've done this route so not sure if ITM can't issue the long haul BPs or it was because of the the PE buyup.

At HND: Terminals are not directly connected. Easiest method is the shuttle bus that runs every 4 minutes. Exit landside and go through the doors marked without luggage. Exit outside on the same level at Terminal 1 (your domestic arrival terminal), proceed to Bus Stop #8 and catch the bus marked for International Terminal, which will be the next terminal. 2 hours and 10 minutes should be more than enough time to get to the International terminal and clear security and exit Immigration.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:32 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just did this same routing Thursday!

At ITM: Go to the International connections counter. It's on the south end of the North Terminal. If you take the limo bus to the airport, it will drop you between the South (ANA) and North (JAL) terminals. The international connections counter will be the first counter you see on your left as you enter the North terminal.

Your luggage will be checked through to SFO, no need to reclaim at HND. Or further if SFO isn't the finally destination on your ticket, but you'd reclaim your bags for customs at SFO regardless.

As for time, you need to pass through domestic security at least 15 minutes prior to departure and be at the gate 10 minutes prior. Unknown amount of people in the check-in line, plus maybe one more flight after that will connect to JL2, I'd go for 1 hour or more prior depending on your comfort level. My own experience is that check-in took about an hour but I was buying a same day PE upgrade for JL2 at ITM and took longer than normal.

Also, I had to pick up my JL2 boarding pass at the HND counter. First time I've done this route so not sure if ITM can't issue the long haul BPs or it was because of the the PE buyup.

At HND: Terminals are not directly connected. Easiest method is the shuttle bus that runs every 4 minutes. Exit landside and go through the doors marked without luggage. Exit outside on the same level at Terminal 1 (your domestic arrival terminal), proceed to Bus Stop #8 and catch the bus marked for International Terminal, which will be the next terminal. 2 hours and 10 minutes should be more than enough time to get to the International terminal and clear security and exit Immigration.
Thank you so much for your reply rustykettle. This is why FT rocks!

First hand knowledge of the question asked!

Thanks again!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Thank you so much for your reply rustykettle. This is why FT rocks!

First hand knowledge of the question asked!

Thanks again!
You are most welcome!

Also, the North security checkpoint at HND (first photo, left when facing the checkpoints, at around check-in counter row L) usually seems to be shorter than the main checkpoint (second photo) . We went through around 6:30pm right after I took the photo and everyone in that line was through security by the time we walked through the barrier maze.

The North checkpoint dumps out next to gate 112 which seems to be the usual JL2 departure gate. You'll have to back track for the duty free stores.
Attached Images   
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
You are most welcome!

Also, the North security checkpoint at HND (first photo, left when facing the checkpoints, at around check-in counter row L) usually seems to be shorter than the main checkpoint (second photo) . We went through around 6:30pm right after I took the photo and everyone in that line was through security by the time we walked through the barrier maze.

The North checkpoint dumps out next to gate 112 which seems to be the usual JL2 departure gate. You'll have to back track for the duty free stores.
Thanks for some more very helpfull information!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.