Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Seat map for JL860 PEK-NRT 10/31 below. As you can see most of the Y cabin & 1/3 of the J cabin is still blocked. If you like to provide your flight numbers & cabin(s), either here or via PM, I'd be happy to check ExpertFlyer for your specifics.
Read the top of the page on EF regarding blocked seats on JL seat map after OLCI has opened.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JALPak
Read the top of the page on EF regarding blocked seats on JL seat map after OLCI has opened.
JAL may show Occupied seats as Blocked on domestic Japan flights
PEK-NRT is considered domestic for seat maps or international flights also show occupied as blocked?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

PEK-NRT is considered domestic for seat maps or international flights also show occupied as blocked?
LOL I didn't actually check when I posted that reply because I was the one who told EF about this problem. It applies to international flights too as far as I can tell. There are times when I saw seat as blocked on EF seat map on international flights but JL told me that seat is already taken.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:52 am

LOL I didn't actually check when I posted that reply because I was the one who told EF about this problem. It applies to international flights too as far as I can tell. There are times when I saw seat as blocked on EF seat map on international flights but JL told me that seat is already taken.
I guess EF is halfway there... good to know that it's not just domestic. I've asked before (and probably will again in the future) for seats showing blocked. Something to keep in mind now. Thank you JALPak!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

I guess EF is halfway there... good to know that it's not just domestic. I've asked before (and probably will again in the future) for seats showing blocked. Something to keep in mind now. Thank you JALPak!
But bear in mind this probably will change after the Amadeus migration.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I doubt there is a cause for concern. I would expect that they have some seats on airport control.
Seat map for JL860 PEK-NRT 10/31 below. As you can see most of the Y cabin & 1/3 of the J cabin is still blocked
Many thanks all for the information and replies. I did manage to select a seat for the PEK-NRT leg (JL860 Nov 2nd) -the flight where the online check in shows no available seats (with error message "Currently there are not enough pre-assignable seat for your Check-In request (s). Please try again later, or Check-In at the airport on your departure day") is the JL780 NRT-HNL flight (also Nov 2nd).

I checked ExpertFlyer for JL780 and that at least shows 1K as "available" - though I guess this is being held back until T-24. At this point I'll probably just leave it and see what happens as I have meetings most of today and tomorrow before I leave.

In case useful, the seat map on ExpertFlyer for the PEK-NRT flight does match the one I see using online check-in (with EF also showing the seat next to one I selected as blocked).

UPDATE (from NRT lounge...)
The online check in system still showed all seats as occupied (rather than blocked) until at least T-24. At that point ExpertFlyer shower all seats as occupied.

In the end all was fine - I arrived at the check in desk at PEK and was given a boarding pass for 1K...

Last edited by GinFizz; Nov 2, 2017 at 2:46 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Any suggestions for seat here? JL 002 to SFO, unfortunately been booked into Y. Would you avoid exit rows with the legroom being so good in JL Y class? Not bothered about being at front as have GE so doesn't make much of a difference.

Many thanks
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Any suggestions for seat here? JL 002 to SFO, unfortunately been booked into Y. Would you avoid exit rows with the legroom being so good in JL Y class? Not bothered about being at front as have GE so doesn't make much of a difference.

Many thanks
I would just take the exit row. But you can try paying for the PY upgrade st check in
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
I would just take the exit row. But you can try paying for the PY upgrade st check in
Thanks. How much we talking roughly?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

Thanks. How much we talking roughly?
40,000JPY HND-SFO on JL2

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

and just to be clear, basically this is for the space as everything else is pretty much the same as Y. I would only consider if OP can get an aisle seat though.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Many thanks
I would go for row 45. Even though leg room in the standard rows are good, in row 45 you avoid being disturbed every time your neighbours have to get up.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I would go for row 45. Even though leg room in the standard rows are good, in row 45 you avoid being disturbed every time your neighbours have to get up.
But 45 will be where people gather to wait in line for the laventory too but I would still take unlimited legroom over the standard one
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:49 pm

Yes, good point. It is the reason I usually go exits on the 787 and 767 for regional flights but with extra room on 777 was just curious.

One more thing, if one of the exit windows becomes available how bad is the door bustle?

To be fair if there is one Y experience I don't mind it is JL.

Thanks folks!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yes, good point. It is the reason I usually go exits on the 787 and 767 for regional flights but with extra room on 777 was just curious.

One more thing, if one of the exit windows becomes available how bad is the door bustle?

To be fair if there is one Y experience I don't mind it is JL.

Thanks folks!
The seat is far enough back for the protrusion on the door for the slide not being in the way or really impacting your space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.